Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPGDot: Biggest Dissapointment and Surprise RPGs of 2004

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

RPGDot has posted their biggest <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1089>dissapointments</a> and <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1088>surprises</a> of last year, with a game that ranks high in <b>both categories</b>. It is none other than Vampire: Bloodlines.
<br>
<blockquote><b>Biggest Dissapointment RPG</b>
<br>
<b>Second Runner Up</b>: Vampire - Bloodlines
<br>
Ah, the annual conundrum when a game is similarly represented in the Best, Biggest Surprise and Most Disappointing categories. In the case of Vampire: Bloodlines, however, the reason is abundantly clear: for all of those players drawn in by the brilliant writing and immersive atmosphere, others were mired in bugs, poor performance that reduced some areas to slide-shows, linear structure and depressing combat sequences at the end. For those whom these issues became overwhelming, it’s likely some relatively minor issues started to grow in proportion, such as some poor textures, repeated models and empty locations – apart from that ubiquitous dentist chair, of course.</blockquote>
<br>
and...
<br>
<blockquote><b>Biggest Surprise RPG</b></b>
<br>
<b>The winner</b>: Vampire - Bloodlines
<br>
It's hard to know exactly why our readers thought Vampire: Bloodlines was the biggest surprise of the year. Perhaps it was because the game was just so good or perhaps because doubts lingered over Troika's ability to deliver a compelling first-person action-RPG with a quality story – or even that a first-person action-RPG would offer the depth of roleplaying players were looking for. No doubt the Vampire license itself conjured images of tortured Goth teenagers for many and the superbly written mature themes may have caught players by surprise.</blockquote>
<br>
The amount of combat in the game was the only thing that caught me by surprise. It should come as no surprise to anyone who's played Fallout that Troika is capable of delivering a narrative but the amount of dreadful combat in Bloodlines definitely took me by surprise, especially after the superb Santa Monica hub.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I'm sure someone with severe reading comprehension disability is going to say I flip flopped on this, somehow.

*Waits...*

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Nope, it is not. Take StarWars Episode 2, for instance - it sucked! The storyline was lame and Anakin was whiny crybaby, plus there was that shitty romance. But the Jedi battle scene against the Trade Federation robots in the arena was pretty damn cool. Star Wars Ep 2 sucking doesn't diminish the awesomeness of that battle scene.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I for one think it's possible to have a reasonable discussion here without launching into personal insults and prepubescent behaviour. Don't you, Jed? You once claimed to be one of the more 'mature' individuals on the RPG Codex, so why don't you behave like it?

Jed

Cipher
I linked to an image of some funny flip-flops for some good-natured Exitium-ribbing (you love it, remember? Or did you change your mind again?) and you changed the link to TubGirl. Abusing your admin privileges again. Pathetic.
Exitium said:
I'm sure someone with severe reading comprehension disability is going to say I flip flopped on this, somehow.*Waits...*

Jed

Cipher
Abusing your admin privileges to change my post isn't "getting me"--it's cheating because you can't compete on an even playing field. And that's only the once that I know of today. What other post of mine did you change?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It's the only one. But hey, you got tubgirled. Twice! You and Pooper love derailing my threads. Get a life. If this were any other forum you'd be warned by now. Don't be so damn bitter, Jed. It is all in good fun, remember?

Jed

Cipher
Exitium said:
It's the only one. But hey, you got tubgirled. Twice! You and Pooper love derailing my threads. Get a life. If this were any other forum you'd be warned by now.
I was right on topic, shitfucker:
I'm sure someone with severe reading comprehension disability is going to say I flip flopped on this, somehow.*Waits...*
By the way, not only did I not see the link the first time you changed it (it looked like the link was broken), but you TubGirl'd the whole forum, not me. If this were any other forum you'd have had your admin status revoked by now for editing other people's posts. (Not even to mention TubGirling the whole forum.)

radon

Novice
STFU jed getting on my nerves with your southern white hick antics trying to be all tough cho bitch ass.....

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Why is that funny? If you consider that funny you must really laugh your ass off everytime you read the news paper. "WOW THATS FUNNY, THERES A PARADE IN THE CITY TODAY. HA HA"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom