Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Skyrim sells absolute buckets

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>Skyrim shipped 10 million copies. I shamelessly copy the press release:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>10 MILLION COPIES OF &lsquo;GAME OF THE YEAR&rsquo; WINNER</strong></p>
<p><strong><br /></strong></p>
<p><strong>THE ELDER SCROLLS&reg; V: SKYRIM&trade; SHIPPED&nbsp;</strong></p>
<p><strong><br /></strong></p>
<p><strong>Sales and Numerous &lsquo;Game of the Year&rsquo; Awards Underscore Worldwide Popularity</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>December 15, 2011 (Rockville, MD) &ndash; ZeniMax&reg; Media Inc. today announced that 10 million units of Bethesda Softworks&rsquo;&reg; The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim have been shipped for the Xbox 360&reg; video game entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation&reg;3 computer entertainment system, and PC, representing approximately $650 million in retail sales since its release on November 11. The PC version of Skyrim in North America outsold all other PC games by a factor of over three to one in the month of its release. Large retail reorders across all platforms and record-breaking digital sales reflect the ongoing global demand by consumers excited to explore this extraordinary fantasy epic.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Bethesda Softworks&rsquo;&reg; Skyrim has already garnered over two dozen &lsquo;Game of the Year&rsquo; awards from major outlets worldwide, including winning the top honor of Game of the Year at the 2011 Video Game Awards which are voted on by a panel of editors from the industry&rsquo;s most respected magazines and websites. In addition, Skyrim has received &lsquo;Game of the Year&rsquo; awards from numerous other game critics, which, to date include such respected media outlets as G4TV, Official Xbox Magazine and Machinima.com. Skyrim was named &lsquo;Most -Played Game of 2011&rsquo; by Raptr, based on research data which confirms its highly popular gameplay experience.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&ldquo;We are gratified that Skyrim continues to garner high review scores and accolades around the world,&rdquo; said Robert Altman, Chairman and CEO of ZeniMax Media. &ldquo;We are most grateful to our fans for their support and enthusiasm for the game, and their love of the hundreds of hours of gameplay it offers. We continue to strive to deliver the highest quality entertainment experience for everyone. 2012 will be another huge year for our fans, with the release of the Creation Kit, as well as exciting DLC which will add to the richness of this epic adventure."</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&ldquo;Skyrim is the fastest selling title in Steam's history&rdquo; said Jason Holtman, Director of Business Development at Valve Corporation. &ldquo;Bethesda&rsquo;s commitment to and understanding of the PC as a gaming platform shows in the great review scores, spectacular launch, and continued high player numbers that Skyrim has received. &nbsp;We are delighted that Bethesda chose to use Steamworks to support Skyrim both at retail and digitally.&rdquo;</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Could it be, like, the best game ever with mature lore and stuffies? I luv u Todd Howard, all is forgiven?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>It certainly must be a new record for an RPG, sales-wise.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/?rwsiteid=1#18641">RPGWatch</a></p>

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
shiteatingnippledick said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Bethesda’s commitment to and understanding of the PC

Gets me every time. :lol:

They understand that PC is a cheap, desperate whore. They are committed to pimping it out to homeless people as long as her STD-infested body can hold itself together.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bought it, I played it, and I can't figure out why is it supposed to be so great? The whole game is mediocre, with hefty does of retardedness.

torpid

Liturgist
To be fair, they aren't using the "gritty and mature" catchphrase, rather the game is an "extraordinary fantasy epic". MAJESTIC

Will Skyrim receive more GOTY awards than Oblivion?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
torpid said:
Will Skyrim receive more GOTY awards than Oblivion?

Sure. Money is critical success for these assclowns.

Just imagine it ... in 2120, Bethesda classics could be the equivalent of Charles Dickens's stuff.

:vomit:

xemous

Arcane
release a fucking patch for the cornered rat quest so i can finish game you fucking faggots.

Kz3r0

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Skyrim shipped 10 million copies. I shamelessly copy the press release:

10 MILLION COPIES OF ‘GAME OF THE YEAR’ WINNER

THE ELDER SCROLLS® V: SKYRIM™ SHIPPED 
Sales and Numerous ‘Game of the Year’ Awards Underscore Worldwide Popularity
todd_bucket2.png

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yaar Podshipnik said:
I bought it, I played it, and I can't figure out why is it supposed to be so great? The whole game is mediocre, with hefty does of retardedness.
Well there's your problem, you're doing it in the wrong order. Though if you were not the type of person to like Skyrim, you could tell it was shit just by watching a video.

Drakron

Arcane
SCO said:

Just imagine it ... in 2120, Bethesda classics could be the equivalent of Charles Dickens's stuff.

No.

You are confusing what is literary worth with monetary worth, we have a lot of books that became bestsellers but do you really think the Twilight Saga or the Inheritance Cycle will be anything more that "popcorn entertainment"?

As games like to mimic cinema then I say exactly the same were blockbusters do not mean they are instant classics, not to say as we certainly have some movies that did well due to their technical aspects (Avatar) few games age well.

crufty

Arcane
What ten million sales does is show investors that ea year Bethesda doesn't release an rpg some percentage of ten million will buy a diff open sandbox rpg.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Drakron said:
You are confusing what is literary worth with monetary worth, we have a lot of books that became bestsellers but do you really think the Twilight Saga or the Inheritance Cycle will be anything more that "popcorn entertainment"?

No, Harry Potter will one day be mentioned as the pinnacle of literature.

On topic: basically, it is fucking sad that the big money is now coming from computer games. It means that the scumbags currently funding the big titles will stay and even worse publishers will show up.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Drakron said:
SCO said:

No.

I disagree. The "audience" and in market barriers to entry almost assures it, that what will be remembered is only the hits.
And even then ... think about it - we already see children who arrive at the codex without knowing about looking glass even or what exactly was ultima underworld.
Sure, some of those will actually be good games as games (dark souls etc).

DaveO

Erudite
The key word in the announcement is shipped and not bought. I imagine a LOT of E.T. Atari 2600 games were shipped, but we know a massive percentage ended up in a landfill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom