1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Skyrim sells absolute buckets

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Dec 19, 2011.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>Skyrim shipped 10 million copies. I shamelessly copy the press release:</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p><strong>10 MILLION COPIES OF &lsquo;GAME OF THE YEAR&rsquo; WINNER</strong></p>
    <p><strong><br /></strong></p>
    <p><strong>THE ELDER SCROLLS&reg; V: SKYRIM&trade; SHIPPED&nbsp;</strong></p>
    <p><strong><br /></strong></p>
    <p><strong>Sales and Numerous &lsquo;Game of the Year&rsquo; Awards Underscore Worldwide Popularity</strong></p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>December 15, 2011 (Rockville, MD) &ndash; ZeniMax&reg; Media Inc. today announced that 10 million units of Bethesda Softworks&rsquo;&reg; The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim have been shipped for the Xbox 360&reg; video game entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation&reg;3 computer entertainment system, and PC, representing approximately $650 million in retail sales since its release on November 11. The PC version of Skyrim in North America outsold all other PC games by a factor of over three to one in the month of its release. Large retail reorders across all platforms and record-breaking digital sales reflect the ongoing global demand by consumers excited to explore this extraordinary fantasy epic.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Bethesda Softworks&rsquo;&reg; Skyrim has already garnered over two dozen &lsquo;Game of the Year&rsquo; awards from major outlets worldwide, including winning the top honor of Game of the Year at the 2011 Video Game Awards which are voted on by a panel of editors from the industry&rsquo;s most respected magazines and websites. In addition, Skyrim has received &lsquo;Game of the Year&rsquo; awards from numerous other game critics, which, to date include such respected media outlets as G4TV, Official Xbox Magazine and Machinima.com. Skyrim was named &lsquo;Most -Played Game of 2011&rsquo; by Raptr, based on research data which confirms its highly popular gameplay experience.&nbsp;</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>&ldquo;We are gratified that Skyrim continues to garner high review scores and accolades around the world,&rdquo; said Robert Altman, Chairman and CEO of ZeniMax Media. &ldquo;We are most grateful to our fans for their support and enthusiasm for the game, and their love of the hundreds of hours of gameplay it offers. We continue to strive to deliver the highest quality entertainment experience for everyone. 2012 will be another huge year for our fans, with the release of the Creation Kit, as well as exciting DLC which will add to the richness of this epic adventure."</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>&ldquo;Skyrim is the fastest selling title in Steam's history&rdquo; said Jason Holtman, Director of Business Development at Valve Corporation. &ldquo;Bethesda&rsquo;s commitment to and understanding of the PC as a gaming platform shows in the great review scores, spectacular launch, and continued high player numbers that Skyrim has received. &nbsp;We are delighted that Bethesda chose to use Steamworks to support Skyrim both at retail and digitally.&rdquo;</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Could it be, like, the best game ever with mature lore and stuffies? I luv u Todd Howard, all is forgiven?</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>It certainly must be a new record for an RPG, sales-wise.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/?rwsiteid=1#18641">RPGWatch</a></p>

^ Top  
  2. shiteatingnippledick Arcane Patron

shiteatingnippledick
    Gets me every time. :lol:

^ Top  
  3. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    They understand that PC is a cheap, desperate whore. They are committed to pimping it out to homeless people as long as her STD-infested body can hold itself together.

^ Top  
  4. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I bought it, I played it, and I can't figure out why is it supposed to be so great? The whole game is mediocre, with hefty does of retardedness.

^ Top  
  5. torpid Liturgist

torpid
    To be fair, they aren't using the "gritty and mature" catchphrase, rather the game is an "extraordinary fantasy epic". MAJESTIC

Will Skyrim receive more GOTY awards than Oblivion?

^ Top  
  6. Mastermind Cognito Elite Material Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    :yeah:

Eat your heart out Mike Laidlaw. :smug:

^ Top  
  7. shiteatingnippledick Arcane Patron

shiteatingnippledick
    That's a great analogy.

:thumbsup:

^ Top  
  8. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    Tell me more about that

^ Top  
  9. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Sure. Money is critical success for these assclowns.

Just imagine it ... in 2120, Bethesda classics could be the equivalent of Charles Dickens's stuff.

:vomit:

^ Top  
  10. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Who the heck is Charles Dickens?

^ Top  
  11. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    I stopped caring about 500 threads ago.

What where you expecting?
    An "I used to care, but then..."

No, you won't. Fuck you, Todd.
    Fuck your insufferable, stupid mouth.

^ Top  
  12. xemous I have shit taste in games

xemous
    release a fucking patch for the cornered rat quest so i can finish game you fucking faggots.

^ Top  
  13. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  14. Rivmusique Arcane Patron

Rivmusique
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Well there's your problem, you're doing it in the wrong order. Though if you were not the type of person to like Skyrim, you could tell it was shit just by watching a video.

^ Top  
  15. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Gazing at his slowly refilling game shelves ;-)
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    :lol: Can we please have this as a new emoticon? Pretty please? :lol:

^ Top  
  16. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    Needs to be larger, though. I barely see his stupid face. The birthing thread had the best version.

^ Top  
  17. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    ^ Top  
  18. Drakron Arcane

Drakron
    No.

You are confusing what is literary worth with monetary worth, we have a lot of books that became bestsellers but do you really think the Twilight Saga or the Inheritance Cycle will be anything more that "popcorn entertainment"?

As games like to mimic cinema then I say exactly the same were blockbusters do not mean they are instant classics, not to say as we certainly have some movies that did well due to their technical aspects (Avatar) few games age well.

^ Top  
  19. crufty Arcane

crufty
    What ten million sales does is show investors that ea year Bethesda doesn't release an rpg some percentage of ten million will buy a diff open sandbox rpg.

^ Top  
  20. Trojan_generic Magister

Trojan_generic
    No, Harry Potter will one day be mentioned as the pinnacle of literature.

On topic: basically, it is fucking sad that the big money is now coming from computer games. It means that the scumbags currently funding the big titles will stay and even worse publishers will show up.

^ Top  
  21. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

^ Top  
  22. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I disagree. The "audience" and in market barriers to entry almost assures it, that what will be remembered is only the hits.
    And even then ... think about it - we already see children who arrive at the codex without knowing about looking glass even or what exactly was ultima underworld.
    Sure, some of those will actually be good games as games (dark souls etc).

^ Top  
  23. DaveO Erudite

DaveO
    The key word in the announcement is shipped and not bought. I imagine a LOT of E.T. Atari 2600 games were shipped, but we know a massive percentage ended up in a landfill.

^ Top  
  24. CreamyBlood Arcane

CreamyBlood
    Wow, another Skyrim thread, I wonder how many months this will last.

^ Top  
  25. Wunderpurps Educated

Wunderpurps
    So the developers have buckets on their heads, too. It all makes sense now.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.