Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Where No Game Has Gone Before: How Mass Effect Challenges Sci Fi's Greatest Achievements

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect; Mass Effect 3

Do you want your Mass Effect hard or soft? Why not have both? Asks IGN, allied with Lead writer on the Mass Effect series Mac Walters, in an editorial entitled "How Mass Effect Challenges Sci Fi's Greatest Achievements: Where No Game Has Gone Before".

...that stringent scientific outlook, which gives the Mass Effect universe its Hard SF backbone, was there from the very beginning. A lot of research was done during the development of the original Mass Effect. "The entire writing team was constantly reading and researching and reviewing anything we could," remembers Walters. "Everyone was thoroughly immersing themselves in science at the time, and where these things could really go." After all, they had an entire universe to create.

It's even got to the point where a procedure has evolved at Bioware to deal with those niggling situations when the science is at odds with story. "Say we want to introduce something new – be it a new type of ship or a new ability – and it doesn't quite fit into the IP: we have someone who is our IP science guy. We'll often pass off the idea to him and say, 'How would you explain this in 'our science'?' He goes away and comes back usually a day later, scratching his head, with a few ideas, and we make sure it's in there."​

Mass Effect is science!

But that is just one awesome side of it. Mass Effect is also its story and characters! Obviously.

While this exacting scientific aspect appeals to some, from personal experience Walters knows that the series also connects with those who have no interested in the special relativity whatsoever. "I have friends and what they love about it is the characters that they meet. They might be blue and have tendrils, some of them might be reptiles – and that's definitely in keeping with the Sci-Fi genre – but what's more interesting to them is the characters and what they're experiencing. For them Sci-Fi is context, a background; they're really in it for the characters and their relationships.

"Essentially, Mass Effect is a Hard Sci-Fi experience at the boundaries, and what's in between is more of a lite Sci-Fi experience for people who want it to be that as well. And that's the kind of fun of the Mass Effect Universe – it can be what you want it to be."​

Mass Effect is... a sci-fi sandwich?

Mass Effect blends together disparate SF traditions with consummate ease. Utopian and dystopian, hard and soft, it demonstrates that video games, at their very best, can also be about ideas.​

Hard sci-fi and soft sci-fi: shaken, not stirred. Read on! Or don't.

On that note, there are only 5 days left! How are YOU preparing for the Reaper invasion?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What exactly people mean by Hard sci-fi anyway? My Shepard could teleport around the battlefield and use all sorts of jedi powers on enemies.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jesus. Shit like this, churned out by force, just to crap on some more about how awesum the next Bio/Beth construct is, is retch inducing.
What the fuck is this 'article' even actually about? That they make shit up as they go along packing stuff in to try and appeal to every potential demographic regardless of rhyme or reason? That's to be commended now?

What exactly people mean by Hard sci-fi anyway? My Shepard could teleport around the battlefield and use all sorts of jedi powers on enemies.

But that's the 'soft sci-fi' bit...ME has everything for everyone...If you think about it it's actually like Planescape.

Derek Larp

Cipher
yet_another_picard_facepalm_flip.jpg

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Mass Effect is not even remotely hard SF, it's space opera all the way.

hiver

You know guys, you really could maybe, i dont know, ... cut down on news on ME altogether?
I mean really. Whats the point?

MCA
a comment said:
I'm not sure this Hard/Soft Sci-Fi difference really is what he says. To me, even the hardest sci-fi deals with character interaction and reflections about society.

When he describes the science background as a mere part of the context for a character-based story, it pretty much sums up every science fiction story I've ever read, the most outstanding example being Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" stories. Even Orwell's 1984 is like that.

I can't really picture what would an all-hard sci-fi (in his sense) be. A story about bionic scientists making groundbreaking lab breakthroughs in an already futuristic context? That seems quite redundant and I doubt anybody would enjoy reading this kind of story.

Pretty :retarded: when someone who hasn't read a single hard sf book talks about hard sf.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I honestly don't know what's worse: The author of the article consciously becoming part of EA's marketing department, or him actually believing everything he wrote.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
hat stringent scientific outlook, which gives the Mass Effect universe its Hard SF backbone, was there from the very beginning.
I can't wait for DraQ to see this one :troll:

MCA
"Scientific outlook" gives something Hard SF backbone :retarded:

Anyway, I recently met a girl online. She's a diehard Bioware fan, especially of the ME series. She's also very conservative, a virgin and against sex before marriage and I'm not sure she'd have sex even after marriage. And she's also a hamburger helper.

Average profile of Bioware fanbase?

Tripicus

Augur
Pretty :retarded: when someone who hasn't read a single hard sf book talks about hard sf.

It's even more general derp than what type of scifi he's reading. Apparently, being able to mathematically predict the future in Foundations is "mere context" rather than, say for example, a major plot device of the entire series.

deuxhero

Arcane
Deus Ex has a decent argument for being "hard" sci-fi (which is killed by the spy drone and a few other absurdities, but...)

Mass Effect?

What? That's the softest sci-fi you can get.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I wonder what they read beforehand. Lem, Strugatzki, Dick, (Gibson) apparently not.

hoopy

Savant
Mac Walters said:
I think one of the curious things about the Mass Effect series is, because of the nature of video games in general, it can be different things to different people.
Yes, how curious. Surely this isn't an everyday occurence in every other art form.

Mac Walters said:
From a narrative point of view one of the things I really appreciated was the way the new J.J. Abrams's Star Trek handled itself. I'm a Star Trek fan, but I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of the series – I'm not a die-hard Trekkie – but at one time or another I've watched all of the series. But I just love the new movie, and the way that they've made it contemporary – they've brought it forward, and the fact I can go watch it with friends who aren't even familiar with Star Trek. They just love the movie.
This explains a lot.

Mac Walters said:
We also threw in the complication, which not a lot of other Sci-Fi does, that humanity isn't at the centre of all this.
:hmmm:

IGN said:
While the inter-galactic threat of The Reapers is a brilliant narrative device...
BRILLIANT NARRATIVE DEVICE

kFMzN.gif

Mac Walters said:
The beauty of Mass Effect is that there is a Sci-Fi part, which gives a context to the Universe and provides a framework and a structure for a lot of the things we're doing and for the story we're telling. But at its heart, and I think this is something that Bioware excels at, it's a character-based drama. No matter what these characters are going through on a grand scale – you've got Reapers attacking, the Galaxy is about to end, which you can't relate to – often they are experiencing something personally that is something we can relate to. And for those moments, those interactions, I always encourage the writers and myself to take those from anywhere. It could be from real life, it could be from a book, or it could be from Downton Abbey. It could be from anything you could imagine, and I think that's one of the beauties of the series.
This is all Writing 101 for fuck's sake. It's like a programmer explaining that their new engine has colors and sound!

IGN said:
Mass Effect [...] demonstrates that video games, at their very best, can also be about ideas.
Solaris and Roadside Picnic are about ideas. Mass Effect is about interstellar buttsex and explosions.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Mass Effect?

What? That's the softest sci-fi you can get.
This. I can't imagine how ME can be interpreted in a serious way *not* as hi-tech fantasy in space. Even Star Wars universe is "harder", since the SW starships weren't powered by magic. The only "hard" thing in ME was Shepard's cock while he fucked blue space chick with magical powers.
The funny thing is, I remember a not so old thread where BRObert claimed ME is a genuine hard SF :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom