Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian to co-develop Wasteland 2 if Kickstarter reaches $2.1mil

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Brian Fargo; Chris Avellone; InXile Entertainment; ITZ; MCA; Obsidian Entertainment; Wasteland 2

Just an hour ago, Brian Fargo hinted at something big being announced later today. I suppose now is later today.

Here's the news from Rock Paper Shotgun:

They’ve [InXile] just been in touch to say that, if they can reach $2.1 million during the 17 days remaining on the funding schedule, they’ll be bringing in Obisidian Entertainment, including Planescape: Torment mastermind Chris Avellone, to help them make the game.​

Holy moley. The counter on Wasteland 2's Kickstarter page is currently at 1 655 282$. That means we need to raise an additional 0.45 million dollars within 17 days for this to happen.
This is what Fargo and Avellone had to say:

Says Chris Avellone, “Wasteland is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and when Brian asked if I wanted to work on the sequel, I jumped at the chance. While I’ve worked on Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, getting the chance to work on the spiritual successor to the Fallout franchise is a honor.”

Brian Fargo observes that “I have a history with the guys at Obsidian that dates back to the days of Interplay’s Black Isle studios. Together we created some of the greatest RPG’s of all time, from Fallout 1 & 2 to titles like Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment. It is great that we now have a chance to reunite on a project like Wasteland 2.”​

UPDATE. An important clarification from Brian Fargo via email -- Obsidian will only help design the game, all the coding will be done in-house at InXile:
Brian Fargo said:
Also important to note that their contribution is purely in design. We are doing all the code here.

P2aIE.jpg

Interesting times indeed.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
450 000$ in 17 days. Considering the new hype that this will generate... and the fact that there's a lot of last minute pledges... I think this is happening.:dance:

It is pretty awesome. I do hope it doesn't prevent MCA kickstarting his own RPG though, the spiritual successor to PS:T.... I don't want to wait until W2 is finished for that...

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
:bounce:
upgraded to $265

By the way, it's not just MCA - they mentioned bringing in some dev tools from Obsidian too. I wonder if using Onyx is on the table?

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
What 'bout Tim Cain? Is he included in this scheme?

If the answer is "yes", then I raise my pledge to 265$.

If developers of Wasteland, F1-2, Arcanum & PS:T would be unable to bring us incline, than nobody can do it. I put my trust in them. My last hope.

Abraxas

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Good thing they announced it today and not on Sunday. Apart from the Kickstarter amount, there was a PayPal option, is there a way to check the amount raised by that?

FUDU

Arcane
Wow, MCA working on a game with the guys at InXile, and no publishers in site.

I'm going down to the pub to celibrate. I can't believe all this good news.

Cheers mates.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Interesting times, indeed. I can see myself increasing my pledge substantially in order to help make this idea a reality.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I won't be upping my pledge, it's $265 already, but I'm really excited and hope they reach the new goal. :)

Johannes

Arcane
It's definitely happening, they don't miss much money from that goal, just wondering how much it'll actually improve the games quality.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I suddenly have a premonition of Todd Howard joining in too on sunday.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom