Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Diablo III Open Beta Announced

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Blizzard Entertainment; Diablo III

Blizzard announced that they're staging an open beta this weekend.

We're pleased to announce the Diablo III open beta weekend, which offers open access to all players with a valid Battle.net account! Beginning this Friday everyone is invited to log in and help us put the game and servers through their paces in this three day stress test as we march toward the game's release on May 15. You can begin downloading the Diablo III client right now!

From Friday, April 20 at 12:01 p.m. PDT (noon), until Monday, April 23 at 10:00 a.m. PDT you'll be able to log in, team up with friends, and play each of the five heroic classes to level 13 as you fight to save the world from the impending demonic invasion.

You can download the client here.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
My mouth hasn't closed for one minute. Looks like I have plans this weekend...

EG

Nullified
Study for the start of the Spring semester or . . . Diablo II (and if Diablo III provies banal shit boring, Diablo II). I'm sure this will work out well.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Luckily for you, if you're in need of studying or whatever, the beta won't last you longer than a couple of hours. There's shitall of content in it and not even trying out the different classes adds much to the incentive to give the same area another whirl.

Mystary!

Arcane
Took me 2 hours and 25 minutes on my monk play through, and I explored and talked to everything. Extremely easy. Never needed a health pot, don't know if that was just the monk being OP or the demo was toned down.

zioburosky13

Educated
Just played it, and it is ... well...
1) too colorful.
2) Everything is streamlined now. You don't get points to distribute like the previous titles. Instead, your character's attributes automatically increase everytime you level up.
3) The description of the loots is too small to read. O_o
:eek:

Black

Arcane
Took me 2 hours and 25 minutes on my monk play through, and I explored and talked to everything. Extremely easy. Never needed a health pot, don't know if that was just the monk being OP or the demo was toned down.
Beta is supposed to be the equivalent of D2 up to Blood Raven.

EG

Nullified
Walking is all there is in the modern RPG. If you replace it with teleporting . . .

They don't undestand your genius, VD.

Black

Arcane
Of course, it is convenience if it suits you, if not, it's dumbing down.
Duh.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Open Beta? Moar like roll a random error on login, amirite? If this is the only way to play it, i am not paying to hope the blizzard servers let me in. Cash goes elsewhere.

Black

Arcane
Duh.
So having to watch the walking animation for 2 minutes is what you'd call complexity in an RPG?
So having to spend your stat points exactly like shown on the wiki or have a sub-par character is what you'd call complexity in an RPG?
Because I wouldn't.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
So instead of fixing the stats and classes so they support more builds and/or tweaking, let's do away with the concept altogether.

Shit, switching between left-clicking and right-clicking is annoying. How about rolling your mouse over creatures to kill them?

Monolith

Prophet
Duh.
So having to watch the walking animation for 2 minutes is what you'd call complexity in an RPG?
So having to spend your stat points exactly like shown on the wiki or have a sub-par character is what you'd call complexity in an RPG?
Because I wouldn't.
Which wiki? I didn't know of any wiki when playing the (then closed) beta (and obviously still don't) and finished the game with a sub-par character - and some others. No way I wouldn't call the game complex.

So it's not the teleportation as such you've got a problem with, but a whole lot more and I somehow sense that there's a huge discussion about that somewhere that I've totally missed. Thus I'm not sure I wanna go into that now because I'd probably be repeating what others have already said. Either way, calling it dumbing down is one fucked up way to put it, really.

Black

Arcane
Duh.
Because I wouldn't.
Which wiki? I didn't know of any wiki when playing the (then closed) beta (and obviously still don't) and finished the game with a sub-par character - and some others. No way I wouldn't call the game complex.

So it's not the teleportation as such you've got a problem with, but a whole lot more and I somehow sense that there's a huge discussion about that somewhere that I've totally missed. Thus I'm not sure I wanna go into that now because I'd probably be repeating what others have already said. Either way, calling it dumbing down is one fucked up way to put it, really.

Wiki such as this- http://www.diablowiki.com/Class_Builds_(Diablo_II)

Jesus, people, I don't think there's a single person here or even on blizzard forums who thinks that the d3 system is better than having a perfect system that let's you make a huge variety of well rounded characters in a multi-player environment while keeping every player and their characters unique.
Too bad that's not gonna happen any time soon, and it really doesn't matter who or what you blame it on- blizzard, jews, wikis or playes, I can't think of a single multiplayer oriented game which has stats/skills and doesn't have meta-builds. D2 does, Guild Wars does, WoW does, UO does and so on. No one's yet come up with such a system AFAIK.
So yeah, not being able to distribute stats as you please is a let down, but not as huge as many of you make it out to be.

And yes, giving my sorc some decent energy upgrade back in 1.09 days was such fun, back when there were no respecs and you'd find out that your character simply isn't going to make it on hell because you were dumb enough to put points into ENERGY on your fucking SORCERESS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom