Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Divinity: Original Sin Ditches "Ultra-hardcore" Role-playing System, Goes for Accessibility

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios

As expected, info continues to appear on Larian Studios' new turn-based RPG Divinity: Original Sin. In particular, Swen Vincke shares that the game is going to be "accessible" and not "ultra-hardcore":

Active-pause was considered for some time (and we actually started out like this), but in my heart I really wanted to make one of those games that has epic tactical battles, where you really have to think how you’re going to defeat the enemy. And because I’m occasionally very impulsive, one morning I stormed into the office and told the team that we were going to ditch all the hack & slash stuff and go for turn-based. I was ready to go all despot on them should I encounter any resistance, but to my surprise, they were actually quite supportive of that idea. Then I discovered they were a little bit too supportive, because before I knew it I had an ultra-hardcore system on my plate. Eventually we settled on something that I think is quite accessible, but still offers plenty of opportunity for tactical depth.​

Turn-based Facebook game confirmed?

Sacculina

Educated
So much for optimism. I'm interested in seeing how SV tries to justify this during the Codex interview.

Edit: Saw the video, looks quite promising.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
It really depends on what exactly "accessibility" means. I'm no fan of ultramicromanagement myself, but I like at least some degree of options even with "basic" units in TB games.

DAMN YOU, SVEN! WHAT DO YOU MEAN WITH "ACCESSIBILITY"???

catfood

AGAIN
:(

This is why there needs to be Kodex interview with Larian ASAP. I wanna know if I should get hyped on this damnit!

Repressed Homosexual
It's not like Ultima had anything but basic combat systems. So long as the world and characters are interesting, I don't see this as a problem at all, this isn't supposed to be Knights of the Chalice.

Achilles

Arcane
Not a problem for me, I'm sure it will tactical enough for my tastes.

Untermensch

Augur
Well....... It's not like Divine Divinity was hardcore.

Dammit! Doesn't Sven know that describing your RPG as "accessible" is one of the worst things you can do

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
In other interviews, he describes this game roughly as an ultima like with fallout combat. I'm OK with that. Turn based combat isn't only good because it's deep. It's simply fun because it's fun. I enjoyed fallout combat despite its being easy, for it wasn't the main focus of the game. Not every turn based RPG have to be like KotC.

Gosh, the Codex can never be satisfied.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Accessible in what meaning?

Easy to learn/hard to master OR designed for casuals?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
A little too cutesy for my taste.
Not a big fan of developing for co-op either.

The editor shown at the end of the video looks nice.

Jashiin

Arcane
It will be great. I have faith in Swen and Larian, let's hope Kirill Pokrovsky will do the soundtrack for this.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Wow. The ice and water thingy at the end opens up good combat possibilities. The TB combat in this doesn't look any worse than Arcanum - and I'm still apeshit about that game.

Here's being (moderately) expectant for the future.

dr. one

Augur
If they´ll deliver varied and creative encounter design I really don´t see a problem with the system not being "ultra-hardcore", I´m actually inclined to consider it a plus - I´m quite sure the gameplay is supposed to be blend of exploration, questing and combat, not combat first and everything else second.
Besides, judging by the video, accessible in this case seems to mean easy to get into/intuitive, not necessarily shallow - from the little that has been shown I´ve noticed that enemies have weaknesses (and likely resistances), spells can interact with each other, weapon properties can be changed temporarily via items, there´s a sword with a display of attack type, accuracy, speed, initiative, durability and degrade quality properties, enemies have chance to hit/be hit (likely modified by distance).

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
Seems interesting for co-op. Other than that, I don't know, I will have to try it. The overdone fantasy genre is certainly not making me happy but hey, it is turn-based.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
The TB combat in this doesn't look any worse than Arcanum
I'm yet to see one that does...

Oh, you!

imgres

A user named cat

Shouldn't it have a darker and less saturated look if they're returning to the roots of DD? Maybe something like this or a bit less extreme.

vfZYg.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom