Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News I want to be a Dragon!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: DragonFlame Studios; Dragons!; Indiegogo

If you too, have ever wanted to be a Dragon!, then Dragons! is the indie in-dev game just for you! It's got an indeigogo (aka Kickstarter with a different name) campaign in progress right now:

A hybrid action-strategy-RPG, with Dragons in the driving seat. Control your own thunder-lizard, and bring havoc to the land. We are DragonFlame Studios, a UK-based indie development company currently working on our first game, Dragons! (note the exclamation mark).

To start the game, you first assign your initial pool of points to each of your four attributes - strength, which determines your hitpoints and physical strength; speed, which governs your speed in both the air and on the ground; intelligence, which determines your mana reserves; and willpower, which determines spell and breath attack strength. You can also select your elemental type from a choice of fire, ice, storm or earth, which affects your starting breath attack (flame, ice, lightning or boulder respectively), along with the spell types initially available to you. You can also customise your appearance, choosing your dragon's colour, basic shape, and wing design.

Once you have chosen your starting dragon, the world is randomly generated, and you start in your initial lair with a small amount of gold. Your treasure pile is immensely important - you level up as you collect gold and treasure, gaining further attribute increases and access to more powerful spells, so guard your treasure pile well. You can gain treasure through raiding towns and villages, destroying trade caravans, defeating monsters, or through completing quests offered by each of the three factions.
[...]
Dragons! has been our labour of love for the past 2 years - it came out of a simple question asked during a gaming session; how many games let you actually play as a dragon?​

They only want a mere $4,000 to bring Dragons! to life and they have just 15 more days to get it... So, how many games are there that let you play as a Dragon now?

Thanks it's most likely the developers who dumped this in our inbox Guest!

Gregz

Arcane
This could be kinda fun...hopefully a Dungeon Keeper meets Carmageddon type of game.

That way you could be tyrannical in the 4x way as well as fly smouldering sorties on helpless villagers.

I'm thinking the Dragonslayer (1981) dragon had it pretty good. Get to eat tasty virgin sacrifices and burn villages. And of course the game should include dragon sex for maximum emotional engagement. :obviously:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
HOARD_Header.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
dragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragonsdragons

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A Divinity: Dragon Commander clone before Divinity: Dragon Commander is even out?

But it actually looks like it could be fun. The graphics, while basic, aren't looking bad, and the gameplay looks interesting enough.

DraQ

Arcane
Assuming it's actually possible to make something worse than that...
Actually it would be trivial to drastically improve IoTD, by cutting most of the content and resources too:

-ditch all the fucking monsters
-ditch all the fucking plot, it's thin veiled pretext to go around burninating stuff anyway
+make three human factions (can be retextures)
+add other AI or human controlled dragons controlling those factions
+give player ability to guide troops movement and erect structures, maybe some resource management limiting it
+let players duke it out with themselves or AI

Blasting shitty, almost abstract monsters is no fun, while the mission where you had to raze a human city was a blast, human cities have more structure to them than insular monster lairs, which yields more interesting havoc and destruction, monsters are also larger and sturdier than humans, which lessens the impact of being a fucking dragon who can reduce a forest to cloud of charred chopsticks in single sneeze and humans are, well, humans, they are attractive target of burnination if only for the sake of pretending you're flying Godzilla who can cast WMD spells.

Oh, add better controls too.

Suddenly IoTD goes from 6/10 to >9000.

As for the topic, I hope the game goes well, but the art direction regarding the structures and particle spam is puke-worthy.
I also like textures and hope that authors look into this novel technology.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Actually it would be trivial to drastically improve IoTD, by cutting most of the content and resources too:

-ditch all the fucking plot, it's thin veiled pretext to go around burninating stuff anyway
+add more dragons with erect structures

8690.jpg

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Just thought how fun would be a game like this in D&D / Dragonlance setting. Kobold slaves, flying with some evil dumbfuck- cleric on the back, things like that.

laclongquan

Arcane

+add more dragons with erect structures

8690.jpg
Goes to show he know what's he talking about, right?

Overboard

Arcane
Larian-lite or utter shite? Anyway if you want to fly a dragon around and shoot stuff, play Dragon Strike.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
see this?

http://www.choiceofgames.com/dragon/

now alter ego it into something like The Guild but with you as a dragon surviving from orphan hatchling to great wyrm scheming for throne of secret dragon conclave and instead of shop management you burn places in varying degrees
maybe even use existing D20 system

as draq might say simulating a dragon's life properly in freeform game is on the same level as simulating actual rpg and no simple matter

if you want to fly a dragon around and shoot stuff, play Dragon Strike.

http://www.shmups.com/reviews/cyvern/index.html :obviously:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think the dragon train passed by while they were developing this game. I sure am sick of em after Divinity 2.
And 4k isnt that much moneyz anyway, a quick bank loan would solve this problem and they would have money by Tuesday.
Even with my tiny paycheck i can walk into a bank and ask for 40k and tell em ill spend it on hookers and booze. And walk out with the fucking money.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Doesn't matter how it looks, doesn't matter what the devs promise, if they use flexible funding campaigns they are just gunning for your money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom