Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dishonored's PC UI Options Revealed

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Arkane Studios; Bethesda Softworks; Dishonored

Bethblog has revealed new screenshots plus a description of the PC UI for Arkane Studios' upcoming stealth-action game Dishonored. The FOV is going to be adjustable, and you will be able to turn off all the annoying markers and such. Apart from FOV customization, there will also be other PC-only toggles influencing mouse behavior, anti-aliasing, and more, as well as supporting a wide range of monitor resolutions. Let me quote a tidbit for you:

Dishonored is often referred to as an “immersive” game, and that can imply a lot of things — everything from a first-person perspective to, say, dynamic sound design. For Arkane, it means a commitment to all aspects of the word, and that involves the user interface.

While Dishonored features a robust interface to support its rich mechanics, it also affords you the option to tweak the UI for a fully immersive experience. In addition to the general gameplay options — which you can take a look at here — we wanted to reveal the full slate of interface options you’ll be able to enable and disable individually in all versions of the game, as well as some PC-specific features.

[...] While we’re at it, we also wanted to give you a preview of the PC-specific “shortcut” bar. This bar appears when you hit one of the shortcut buttons — which are mapped by default to the 1-10 keys — and then fades out just as quickly, giving you a more familiar interface to select your powers and gadgets. You still have the option to use the standard Quick Access Wheel, which defaults to “mouse wheel click” on PC. And of course Dishonored also supports the use of a gamepad.

A few options not featured in these screens that we also wanted to mention:
  • The FOV slider for changing your field of view.
  • Controller and mouse sensitivity options, as well as four different options related to auto aim strength and aim assist.
  • The mouse smoothing/acceleration slider and enable/disable options. (PC only).
  • Graphics options for the full spectrum of monitor resolutions, anti-aliasing, and various other graphical toggles. (PC only).
I'm not reposting the screenshots here, so if you're curious take a look at the original blog post.

Untermensch

Augur
That's actually nice.

Well, atleast we won't need to bitch about the UI being consolised.

Bethesda, why can't your flagship title's PC UI be normal, atleast?

Black

Arcane
Hype for UI options?
Well, I guess that's something dark souls can't brag about.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I guess it is, not that it'll matter much if the game is designed with that mind... But the HP Bar, stealth gauge, etc. I don't see the point. There's immershun of course, but by the same logic it'll be "ruined" by the edges of the screen, so...

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess it is, not that it'll matter much if the game is designed with that mind... But the HP Bar, stealth gauge, etc. I don't see the point. There's immershun of course, but by the same logic it'll be "ruined" by the edges of the screen, so...
I agree that HP and stealth need to still be visible and hopefully they can be toggled on. Still not excited by the game as it is being made for consoles and we saw what happens then... DE:IW, Bioshock, etc. However, my only glimmer of hope is that I actually enjoyed DE:HR (even though made by a different studio) so maybe people can create something interesting even with the console limitations. Heck, so many bros here rave about Dark Souls so who knows.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
:thumbsup: Glad to see the PC options are indeed as robust as they said they would be. Looking forward to the game, now I just have to hope it's more Deus Ex and less BioShock.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Man those comments have got to be jokes:
Amazing, amazing job! if only all developers put this much care into their design. Dishonored is day 1 buy 100%.
I will definitely play without HUD, love the immersion.

Not really sure about this game, from the gameplay video it looks like it has "block>hit(which may insta kill)" combat, unless you stealth which is just insta kill. Also Bioshock style magic/nukes. So the stealth system better be good, with multiple paths and all that. Will probably try a demo to see how it feels, but not looking great.

Angthoron

Arcane
What will be hyped as a super killer app next, the dev console, or maybe cheat codes?

"Do you fancy yourself handy with typing? Our product will have you on your toes - exclusive to the PC, the Dev Console feature will bring you one step closer to mastering your game! Spawn monsters and turn the AI on and off; manually set FOV and disable various engine features! We've even thrown in a poly count diagnostics tool! Our love for the PC users knows no end!"

"Are you tired of looking for keylogger-infected trainers or paying a subscription to cheat sites? Does losing achievements due to code activation stress you out? Look no further - our PC User Friendly Cheat Codes feature will occupy you for months! Imagine if this feature was available in other games too!"

"Coming soon: Mouse Support not Bound to Screen Refresh Rate and Remove the Press X to Start DLCs, 50cent each!"

Black

Arcane
It's standard bethesda policy- hype something that isn't really hype worthy, like "unlimited" quests in oblivion, because, frankly, what else do they have to hype?
Witcher 2 had tons of graphical options too but I don't remember it being a hype point.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's a fucking joke that something that should be a standard is being marketed as a feature. Well, at least it's a good sign to avoid this piece of shit game.

Micmu

Magister
"So what is this doing on the Codex then?"

cooked pee had a quota to fill and there were no new jrpg news available. in before CoD news.

Black

Arcane
Of course it's an RPG, Bethesda is too :obviously: to bother with any other genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom