Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial CNN talks gaming and religion with developers

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bill Roper; Flagship Studios

<a href="http://www.cnn.com/">CNN</a> has posted a rather short but interesting <A href="http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/06/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm">editorial/commentary</a> from various game developers about why religion and gaming haven't been mixed much. Here's a snippet from <b>Bill Roper</b> of <A href="http://www.flagshipstudios.com/">Flagship Studios</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>"Embracing the medium is the way [for churches] to get across and deliver the message they want to," said Bill Roper, CEO of Flagship Games. "They've done that with music. They've done that with books. They've done that with movies. I don't think they've done that with games yet."</blockquote>
<br>
Actually, there have been a few. They just weren't very good in terms of being a game or even in terms of having religious value. The one where you smack heathens with a sword that turns them in to Christians comes to mind.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Killzig</b>!

Sarvis

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Actually, there have been a few. They just weren't very good in terms of being a game or even in terms of having religious value. The one where you smack heathens with a sword that turns them in to Christians comes to mind.

I dunno, conversion at swordpoint sounds pretty Christian to me... up until modern times anyway.

Visbhume

Prophet
I think RPGs would be the ideal genre for religious-themed games.

Come to think of it, what is KOTOR2 but an exploration of the Jedi "religion" ? Granted, the Force is not a "real" belief system, but you get my point.

Games like Torment, with its spiritual underpinnings, and the Ultimas, with their system of "virtues", could be translated to a religious framework with little effort.

I would love to play a Teudogar-like game where your character is a missionary sent to a barbaric country with the objective of converting the pagans to christianity, St.Patrick - style.

Screaming_life

Liturgist
While not exactly christian, there is Eon of Tears:

Eon of Tears, a biblical-fantasy RPG, is based on the premise that there is a Bible Code that gives a special power to those who can harness it. The main objective is to learn how to decode it and understand its power. After going through different periods of time, from the very Creation to the End of Times, learning the true meaning of the Bible and facing all kinds of creatures, you have the ultimate choice of using that power to help save the world or destroy it.

In EoT, players will accomplish several quests in order to accumulate special powers and wisdom. The game will offer a chance to learn and reflect on life, death, and destiny. Eon of Tears is aimed at a mature audience, offering a mix of Survival Horror through its gameplay and traditional RPGs with its actions.

Surlent

Liturgist
Jesus goes fuggin metal ! Bran new innovative action RPG from mastermind DW Bradley of the Wizardy fame. The man has created new action packed roleplaying adventure, where Jesus goes flip fucking flopping insane and kills everything in sight with amazing weapons he finds on his journey like bazookas, machine guns and light sabers. OVER 300++ weapons and gay jumpsuits make your character customization ubeliavable innovative and new. Face Satan in his phot ghetto and bang his turf sky high five straight to heaven. Bonus battle against GOD and his holier than thou church boy chorus to become ruler of universe. True roleplyaing guaranteed.

kris

Arcane
There is quite some strategy games where religion is important in some ways, but not promoted.

Lionheart? ;) Great advertising for christians. :D

voodoo1man

Liturgist
Wasn't there a whole publishing company devoted solely to releasing Christian-themed video games? I remember Something Awful made fun of them a while back.

bryce777

Erudite
Surlent said:
Jesus goes fuggin metal ! Bran new innovative action RPG from mastermind DW Bradley of the Wizardy fame. The man has created new action packed roleplaying adventure, where Jesus goes flip fucking flopping insane and kills everything in sight with amazing weapons he finds on his journey like bazookas, machine guns and light sabers. OVER 300++ weapons and gay jumpsuits make your character customization ubeliavable innovative and new. Face Satan in his phot ghetto and bang his turf sky high five straight to heaven. Bonus battle against GOD and his holier than thou church boy chorus to become ruler of universe. True roleplyaing guaranteed.

I was assuming this would be a cleve blakemore production.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Oh, the problem with Eon of Tears is that you play multiple characters through the course of biblical events. You don't really get to be one character, so it keeps changing as the story progresses. I can't see that appealing to too many RPG players like that.

I think the big problem with a "Christian" CRPG would be getting the developers to actually offer the choice to do things wrong. Most CRPGs don't seem to allow you to be bad as it stands now, but I can't see a Christian CRPG offering the choices on situations regardless of having to face the consequences of the player's actions.

Surlent

Liturgist
Religion has taboos, computer games only mild censorship. Hard to make game with ethical values without making them restrictions to players on a medium which worships violence and murder.

Heirophant

Novice
I like the idea of a truly biblical RPG, one where you live in ancient Judea around the time of Jesus's rise to fame. It would, as mentioned, only be workable if non-christian activites were allowed. However, it's reasonable to start the game as a craftsman or tradesman of some sort. A fisherman would be best, as it offers exceptional mobility and travel options, while remaining true to the story and symbolism of early Christianity.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
And then you'd totally ruin Jesus' shit by taking his place and tearing down all the cities with Judas at your side - all in God's name. Hell yes!

ExitiumFan

Educated
What would you assholes know about religion? You probably pray to the devil.

or popping Mary's cherry and giving Jeebus a little brother.
See what I mean? You'll all burn in hell for this.

ExitiumFan

Educated
You need to shut up, "Killzig". It is disrespectful to speak that way about religions.

ExitiumFan

Educated
Don't be a belligerant child, "Killzig". Your parents should discipline you more often, if they even discipline you at all. If my child spoke to me that way he would be given a tight slap as he deserves.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
CleveFan said:
Don't be a belligerant child, "Killzig". Your parents should discipline you more often, if they even discipline you at all. If my child spoke to me that way he would be given a tight slap as he deserves.
Oh my, you've reproduced. Are you also teaching your imps the ways of the bileball? Did you know Jesus was a homosexual too? Why do you think he always had guys around. It was his own little all male revue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom