Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 167: Josh Sawyer on Project Eternity

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Pretty good interview from J_C Matt. Maybe a bit shortish and said basicly the same as was in the latest update about magic system.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Matt asking a question from the Codex! Wooosh! Of course he's familiar with the Codex, silly goose. Obsy luvs codex.

They should put up some sort of web-conference/PR room at Obsidian with HQ gear. Not just for interviews but also KS updates (and future KS pitch videos).
Also, Josh Sawyer sound very much like Chris Avellone in this interview. They have very similar voices. Just sayin.

Oh, and J_C what's your favorite beer?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Boss of him to give the interview. Didn't change much though. Still pretty optimistic on account of the game, still think the cooldown-system sounds awful.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Josh is such a loveable assburger. The way he rambles on about magic systems for 6ish minutes without pause is something I wish more game designers publicly did, if only because it demonstrates they actually have an understanding of what they're talking about (compared to most interviews I see these days).

Wasteland 2
I like what Josh is saying.

Cooldowns are there only to replace resting as a mechanic, to “rearm” spell book between encounters.
So you can keep enjoying the game after hard encounter, instead of wasting your real life time backtracking to a safe location to rest.

And I really can't see a place for strategic attrition mechanics in a game like this.
It is great in roguelikes, blobbers etc. with wast but low detail, simulated, continuous worlds to explore.

This will be a storyfag game with tactical combat encounters on small and detailed maps, that are disjointed fragments of the gameworld.
It won't be a simultionfag, nor an explorefag game. Completely different focus, just deal with it.

I also liked how stressed Josh become when the codex was mentioned. Scared for life, to not unleash codex trolls upon himself.
That was cute. No worry Josh, we luv u :love:

Repressed Homosexual
What about mana points gradually building up naturally through rounds instead of imposing cooldowns on specific abilities or whole levels of abilities?

kaizoku

Arcane
J_C said:
A lot of the games I play with dialog and I just to skip through as possible
What are you going to do to make me read this stuff
:hmmm:

Laughed hard at his reaction when you mentioned the Codex :D

Thanks for the interview J_C.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
What about mana points gradually building up naturally through rounds instead of imposing cooldowns on specific abilities or whole levels of abilities?
Whatever they choose I hope they avoid the Mana terminology. Something like "soul exhaustion" or something, fine, but fucking fuck mana.

Wasteland 2
I would prefer mana too, it would be more elegant and could add another decision layer, with higher level spells being less mana cost effective.

All I was saying, was that it doesn't sound like wow cooldowns, and resting was a pointless chore in infinity engine and nwn games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
J_C said:
A lot of the games I play with dialog and I just to skip through as possible
What are you going to do to make me read this stuff
:hmmm:

Laughed hard at his reaction when you mentioned the Codex :D

Thanks for the interview J_C.
I'm begging to you guys, I am not Matt. I am not him.

Deleted member 7219

I laughed when Matt asked Sawyer if he had heard of the Codex. Actually, I think he likes us. He liked the head bobbing Sawyer, anyway.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
EDIT: Wait, J_C is or is not Matt. Wtf.

Good interview. I laughed at the last question and both of your reactions to it. Hehe.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
zrdIl.png

You are a bro J_C.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom