Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Obsidian Entertainment Interview Roundup

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

EG

Nullified
*Sees tribals* Eternity: Return to Arroyo.
It's probably not a new observation, I know . . .

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I enjoy how J_C will rip on a game like Dungeon Siege III and puts it on his "worst of the year" list and then come interview-time be all "I thought it was good".

Yip. Journalism.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
In b4 Mrowak will demand JS's balls as a collateral, DarkUnderlord will accuse them of fraud and J_C will come to defend it at any costs.

You know - you are the one who keeps accusing people of blowing things out of proportions, yet it is you who exaggerates and holds some kind of smartass juvenile grudge against others who just happen to disagree with you. If you enjoy that then it's all fine, but if you keep doing that do not expect anyone to treat you seriously.

GreyViper

Prophet
I enjoy how J_C will rip on a game like Dungeon Siege III and puts it on his "worst of the year" list and then come interview-time be all "I thought it was good".

Yip. Journalism.
I think he was being nice, but Im sure you understand that. Besides Obsidian should be aware quite well what people think about DS3.
Ill be honest from my point of view I saw J_C as fellow gamer, who got us some more background info and not as "Journalist".

Captain Shrek

DS3 is a good and solid game. It's just not very interesting.

This.

The game is true to the spirit of Action Hack and Slash and a good one. The problem is that the genre is boring to most of us here. Even Diablo only works for completely biased people.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

This.

The game is true to the spirit of Action Hack and Slash and a good one. The problem is that the genre is boring to most of us here. Even Diablo only works for completely biased people.
Yep. It was a solid game, just nothing special. I enjoyed it.

And I'm not Matt!

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
I might just give it another shot to DS3, last time i had no sound in game it was kind of fresh when i installed it, i think its patched now.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
DS3 was shit. though, if by 'solid' you mean it cotninued the DS series rep for being shitty, it was shitty... err... solid as fuck. LMFAO

Zeriel

Arcane

This.

Yep. It was a solid game, just nothing special. I enjoyed it.

And I'm not Matt!

I'll throw my two pence in as liking DS3 quite a bit, too. If you hate action-RPG's that's one thing, but panning it just for that is like angrily accusing a Ferrari of not being a fuel-efficient grocery-shopping minivan. Out of all the action-RPGs I've played, DS3 definitely had the most interesting story/setting.

Also, it was miles ahead of DS1 & 2, which I hesitate to even call games--they were more similar to screensavers.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
No. It was shit. Plain ol fashion sit. No better or worse than DS1 and DS2 (though I didn't even bother with DS2). I only tried the DS3 demo to give Obsidian a chance with it, but it was shit.

Cynic

Arcane
Enjoyed DS3 for what it was. Fuck what all of you say, the combat mechanics were well done, I had genuine fun playing the melee class, and because of the dodge and block it was quite a bit more engaging/different to Diablo. They fucked up the camera (once again), the MP and partially the loot so it is understandable how much rage it caused. Still, I think based on the 9/10s that D3 got, and the 6-7s that DS3 got, that it is pretty bullshit. I'd give the game a solid 7 maybe 7.5.

Zeriel

Arcane
No. It was shit. Plain ol fashion sit. No better or worse than DS1 and DS2 (though I didn't even bother with DS2). I only tried the DS3 demo to give Obsidian a chance with it, but it was shit.

Volourn 2003:

"Neverwinter Nights is amazing!"

Volourn 2012:

"DS3 is shit."

Never change, brave Honourblade.

MCA
Enjoyed DS3 for what it was. Fuck what all of you say, the combat mechanics were well done, I had genuine fun playing the melee class, and because of the dodge and block it was quite a bit more engaging/different to Diablo. They fucked up the camera (once again), the MP and partially the loot so it is understandable how much rage it caused. Still, I think based on the 9/10s that D3 got, and the 6-7s that DS3 got, that it is pretty bullshit. I'd give the game a solid 7 maybe 7.5.

WUT.

Camera was one of the absolutely better parts of the experience, for me. It never obstructed my view. It never required me to constantly jiggle with it. Levels were designed with great attention to comply with the camera. It just fucking worked, a first in any 3D action game of this type with freely rotating camera.

LivingOne

Savant
Combat wasn't bad for hack'n'slash standards(except for the mage and his fucking overpowered AOE spells)but levels were often quite narrow probably even by popamole standard.Stll,it was passable for a ride.Sort of a 'Bioware game done right' with writing nothing special but being free of lot of derp/romances and an approriate lenght as BW gameplay isn't good enough be dragged above 15 hours.

Would not want Obsidian to waste time on such projects again however.

Black_Willow

Arcane
DS3 is the same thing for Dungeon Siege series (or at least for DS2) as Fallout 3 for Fallout series.
Seems that Obsidian has learned much from Bethesda :troll:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

WUT.

Camera was one of the absolutely better parts of the experience, for me. It never obstructed my view. It never required me to constantly jiggle with it. Levels were designed with great attention to comply with the camera. It just fucking worked, a first in any 3D action game of this type with freely rotating camera.
Maybe he talked about the camera in multiplayer. It was atrocius. Sometimes it zoomed in automatically so much, you couldn't see anything else but your character. And you couldn't control the camera in multiplayer. As for singleplayer, I agree, I didn't have too much problem with it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I couldn't play DS3 because of the camera (on PC). I didn't have a problem with it in NWN2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom