Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Stealth Game Codex Review: Mark of the Ninja

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Klei Entertainment; Mark of the Ninja

Having read JarlFrank's Dishonored review, our esteemed community member Mrowak, who you may remember for his Diablo III and Inquisitor articles, decided to counter it with reviewing what he considers to be a much better stealth game - namely, the recently released 2D stealth side-scroller Mark of the Ninja. Have a snippet:

The game features many types of foes, who possess a variety of abilities. Dogs can sniff you out from hiding spots, elite guards are impossible to stealth-kill unless stunned, heavy troopers carry riot shields which make them invulnerable to your normal attacks, snipers can spot you from afar in the total darkness, and even regular guards carry flashlights which can momentarily reveal your position to everyone on the screen. As a result, all enemies remain a threat throughout the game and the composition as well as placement of their forces is the key factor in gameplay.

The enemy AI is satisfactory for the most part. Your foes react to noise and visual contact from a far distance - they go to the place of disturbance to check it out. Being discovered triggers an alarm whereby the enemies from the entire screen rush to your last seen position and inspect the area. Interestingly enough, guards have basic psychology. By default they are relaxed, patrol the area in a stroll, smoke cigarettes and chat with one another. When they are agitated, they raise their gun and carefully approach the source of the disturbance. If they spot you they become alarmed, hold the gun at the ready and move at a brisk pace - they will remain in that mode even if the alarm is called off. Lastly when they witness something horrifying, e.g. see their ally drop dead in a gruesome “accident”, they fly into panic and start shooting blindly around, possibly killing other guards.

Taking advantage of these psychological states is one of the cornerstones of gameplay. You will find yourself acting akin to an evil genius, exploiting the fears of your puppets and having them do exactly what you want: from turning their gazes away from the path to your goal, to disabling security systems for you, to killing their own allies.

[...] Mark of the Ninja is a very solid game. “Focused” is the keyword that underlies its every aspect. True, it targets a very specific niche, ignoring certain facets of gameplay which could not work in a 2D format. Nevertheless, within the limited framework it establishes, it gives no quarter - it does not know what “compromise” means, opting to be a very polished, singular experience rather than everything to everyone. It comes from developers who clearly know their own limitations, but instead of being discouraged, they are eager to work around them to deliver a thoroughly unique experience.

Mark of the Ninja is a model example of what happens when unrelenting passion meets ingenious foresight. It does have some shortcomings, but most of them result from a curious paradox: it is a rare example of a game that leaves you craving for more, even though from the very first moments it offers you plenty. It is the game a true fan of stealth games should not ignore.​

Read the full article: Stealth Game Codex Review: Mark of the Ninja

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
While I enjoyed Mark of the Ninja, Mrowak's review should remind everyone we are talking about a $5 indie game here...comparing it with Thief or Tenchu is very unfair.

I find the game a nice Tenchu 2D clone, but with a bit more focus on combat that I would like... while a pacifist run is possible, is clearly not the focus here. The best sign of this is how the upgraded smoke bomb becomes poison gas, that kills instead of stunning. The bonus points at the end are more of an compensation for not getting kiling points, not a incentive towards going full stealth. And I agree with how the extra objectives seem shoehorned, as they "force" you to change your play style if you want to get high scores.

Overall, is a nice, fun indie game, but nothing really memmorable in the long run... as soon as I finished it, I just wanted to replay Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Overall, is a nice, fun indie game, but nothing really memmorable in the long run... as soon as I finished it, I just wanted to replay Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven.

So about Tenchu, should I start with the PS1 games or the PS2 games are better ?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So about Tenchu, should I start with the PS1 games or the PS2 games are better ?
I would say it's probably best to go on with Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven (PS2), the controls are way better and the gadgets are fantastic. IIRC, the only way to get Grandmaster ranking is to completly ghost the levels, so there is a great challenge there. Tenchu 2: Birth of Stealth Assasin (PS1) is good too, has incredible level design but it feels a bit clunky next to Wrath of Heaven.

hiver

nice review. im just up for some real-sih ninja stealthing. might even buy if first few missions of the demo turn out to be good.

btw, the last two remaining ninjutsu masters recently publicly stated they wont continue the tradition, and they will be the last.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
While I enjoyed Mark of the Ninja, Mrowak's review should remind everyone we are talking about a $5 indie game here...comparing it with Thief or Tenchu is very unfair.

I find the game a nice Tenchu 2D clone, but with a bit more focus on combat that I would like... while a pacifist run is possible, is clearly not the focus here. The best sign of this is how the upgraded smoke bomb becomes poison gas, that kills instead of stunning.

Actually it doesn't kill. It stuns. The default version affects only guards' line of sight. But yeah - pacifist run is for completionists only.

The bonus points at the end are more of an compensation for not getting kiling points, not a incentive towards going full stealth. And I agree with how the extra objectives seem shoehorned, as they "force" you to change your play style if you want to get high scores.

What I really wanted to emphasise here is the amount of foresight and dedictation, which is evident in every single facet of the game. This is how true pearls are made. This is practically unobservable in AAA titles these days, and for a good reason - it's simply devilishly difficult in large projects, whereas in small ones like MotN it is quite achieveable. I think Codex should put more of their focus on indies. Well, it cartainly lacked the scope of Thief and Tenchu (the latter of which I have not played), but I think it is a good game.

Edit: Also, I hate to be an advertiser (paid reviews and all ;) ), but the game is now 50% off on Steam.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Well, it cartainly lacked the scope of Thief and Tenchu (the latter of which I have not played), but I think it is a good game.
I complelty agree with this, especially at $5. And you really should play Tenchu:Wrath of Heavenz, this game is almost a completle clone of it.

A user named cat

Zmlxh.gif

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I find very amusing how having lenghty discussions about liberalism, politics, muslins, movies, SCIENCE!, western civilization society decline and all that is ok, but reviewing non-rpg games is not...

Marsal

Arcane
I find very amusing how having lenghty discussions about liberalism, politics, muslins, movies, SCIENCE!, western civilization society decline and all that is ok, but reviewing non-rpg games is not...
I'm glad you agree with me! A purge it is! We should begin by banning all weeaboo scum immediately and then proceed to gentlemen in GD. Eventually.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
While this game is not an RPG, it has more meaningful character customization than some Bioware titles. It is fun, challenging and good looking. Combined with the fact that Codex is full of fans of Thief and other stealth non-rpgs, this makes it a perfect place to review it. Personally, I welcome reviews of any game here as Codex is the only place that has enough journalistic integrity for it to be trusted.

For all the whiners I say we just write in big letters: The below text does not pertain to an RPG! If this makes you butt-hurt please don't read and use more vaseline.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If people are interested in popping ninja moles, it may be worth mentioning that the game is 50% off on the steams autumn sale, which ends today.

Castanova

Prophet
Great game. The only thing I didn't like about it was the two unskippable in-engine "cutscenes" where you have to walk slowly while listening to dialog/music. Luckily, it only kills like 2 minutes of your life.

I did a full pacifist run on New Game Plus. Good stuff. I also disagree that a pacifist playthrough isn't a focus of the game. I mean, it's fairly obvious that it IS a big focus. It's hard/impossible to get 9/9 on a level without being a pacifist. Also, the teleport skill is basically designed for pacifist strategies. Finally, being a pacifist requires the most skill of any tactic.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Great game. The only thing I didn't like about it was the two unskippable in-engine "cutscenes" where you have to walk slowly while listening to dialog/music. Luckily, it only kills like 2 minutes of your life.

I did a full pacifist run on New Game Plus. Good stuff. I also disagree that a pacifist playthrough isn't a focus of the game. I mean, it's fairly obvious that it IS a big focus. It's hard/impossible to get 9/9 on a level without being a pacifist. Also, the teleport skill is basically designed for pacifist strategies. Finally, being a pacifist requires the most skill of any tactic.

I have 9/9 on every level (albeit not yet on New Game+) without being a pacifist. In fact I did the exact opposite - I killed pretty much everything. It's the middle-ground that makes getting 9/9 impossible, as the reward for killing doesn't balance with the no-kills rewards until you kill something like 80% (stat pulled out of thin air, but feels like it) of the guards.

Repressed Homosexual
If this is to be a trend, rename the site to simply The Codex, and widen its coverage not only to RPGs, but to the great gaming genres of the past, and the games of today still respecting their spirit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom