Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Souls 2 Announced, Coming to PC

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Dark Souls 2; From Software; Namco Bandai

From Software and Namco Bandai have officially announced Dark Souls 2, and this time it'll be released on the PC simultaneously with the console versions.

It’s in the works from series creator Hidetaka Miyazaki who will supervise the development, and it will be directed by From Software’s Tomohiro Shibuya.

The game stars a new protagonist in an all new storyline, and the multiplayer has been “revamped” with a Dark Souls twist to the server-based mode.

Shibuya said in the press release that the game will be “fresh while not forsaking its roots.”

Namco Bandai has said the game will release on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

More details surrounding Dark Souls 2 will become available in the months leading to its release, and you can view the teaser site for it here.

There's also the official trailer, of course:

You can find more information, some of it worrying, at Edge Online. (They want The Elder Scrolls audience, seriously?!)

made

Arcane
213662-droolie_large.png

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Don't get your hopes up. Odds are it'll be easier rather than harder.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I hope they will do a good job with the port this time around. :rpgcodex:

To me DS was the disappointment of 2012. Those fucked controlls and video card issues killed everything that was good in it. :x

Oh, let's not forget about Games for Windows bullshit. :x

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Just sat through 40+ minutes of the mind-numbing VGA awards just to find and watch that.

Soooo good. Game of the Year already.

Hormalakh

Magister
Some quotes from the article:

On the other side is the bright promise of accessibility. And why not? Why shouldn’t FromSoftware and Namco Bandai open Souls up to a wider audience when it could otherwise be in danger of becoming stuck in a cult cul-de-sac?
the answers to these questions are in the hands of game directors new to the Souls series, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, who have taken the reins from Hidetaka Miyazaki.
“I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.”
Passssss.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Odds are, it's going to be shit. That whole article sounds like it's trying to preemptively rationalize dumbing the game down severely. It is honestly puzzling to me how painfully retarded video game publishers can be at times - they build a brand around difficulty, lack of handholding, and a sparse narrative, and their next step is to make it more accessible? In what world does that make sense? Failure of the free market if I ever saw one.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I'm so excited... not.

The atmosphere was great. But the game's just another twitch skill test. I still don't understand why it's on the RPG Codex.

Guys, I trusted the hivemind when I bought the first one. And all I got was this lousy sh... All I got was another boring console JRPG with inconsistence in difficulty and obviously no game balance. Was it even an RPG ? Even the witcher was a better one. Not to mention the most offending integration of social network mechanics in a video game since farmville (writing on your wall has never been meant so literally).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm so excited... not.

The atmosphere was great. But the game's just another twitch skill test. I still don't understand why it's on the RPG Codex.

Guys, I trusted the hivemind when I bought the first one. And all I got was this lousy sh... All I got was another boring console JRPG with inconsistence in difficulty and obviously no game balance. Was it even an RPG ? Even the witcher was a better one. Not to mention the most offending integration of social network mechanics in a video game since farmville (writing on your wall has never been meant so literally).
Cry me a river. You are full of shit by the way.

spekkio

Arcane
Why wasn't this shit moved to Weaboo? As a 100% PC elitist (I'm playing Starcraft 2 as we write) I feel offended.

And no RTwP? Does it even qualify to be mentioned on 'Dex, then?

:decline:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You could say the same thing about the source of his impetus to write that.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Odds are, it's going to be shit. That whole article sounds like it's trying to preemptively rationalize dumbing the game down severely. It is honestly puzzling to me how painfully retarded video game publishers can be at times - they build a brand around difficulty, lack of handholding, and a sparse narrative, and their next step is to make it more accessible? In what world does that make sense? Failure of the free market if I ever saw one.

Accessibility is always a good thing, and is very different from dumbing down. May I suggest waiting until you know anything about the game before dismissing it ?

Murk

Arcane
All the Dark Souls buzz here made me find King's Field 1 and 2 and replay those. I was told there was a Nippon only King's Field 3, I may have to find it and see if there's a translation that I can use.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Accessibility is always a good thing, and is very different from dumbing down. May I suggest waiting until you know anything about the game before dismissing it ?

www.rockpapershotgun.com

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thanks for the link, I like that site too. Though I tend to be discreet about it, I wouldn't want people to think I'm not hardcore.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Okay, Matt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom