Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information The Dark Triad: Dragon's Death, Turn- and Party-based RPG - Kickstarter Now Live

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Kickstarter; The Dark Triad: Dragon's Death

As you might already be aware if you read our forums, Autoloot Games have launched a Kickstarter campaign for their "3D-isometric, turn-based, story driven computer CRPG," The Dark Triad: Dragon's Death. It has stats, skills, and stuff! (Here's a sample character sheet.)

We’ve spent 11 long months creating our own proprietary 3D-isometric editor; a model and animations importer; a static, light-mapping, and shadow casting system; a 3D particle and billboards system; and we already have hundreds of tri-dimensional models between NPCs, props, architecture, and environment, plus our own propietary dialogue and scripting tool. We have almost all the technology into place to put our focus on developing content exclusively. This means we have now the time to work hard on the combat logic, the AI, adding and fleshing out the dialogues, side quests, and creating vast lands and secrets for you to explore and discover. We want to surprise you. We'll pay homage to the best CRPGs, but we also want to take the risk to do it our own way.

The Dark Triad will allow you to chose among 5 different classes. The stats and skills system is being coded at the moment, and in the coming months it will need to be constantly adjusted and thouroughly tested to create a compelling combat system of gameplay. We want combat to pose a challenge and have a remarkable strategic component, even though you can always adjust its difficulty on-the-go to play in an easier or more difficult mode (though it will be always turn-based).

The stats and skills system has been made from scratch. You’ll find a really fresh and original mechanic blended with classic concepts, and this will hopefully cater to turn-based fans by providing some good fun and a challenge! We’ve already written 40% of the dialogues and lore, and the next step will be implementing and associating the dialogues with the characters' actions and choices, skills, stats, items, etc to add the maximum of of gameplay options.

Stats

There are 3 different types of stats: physical, mental, and spiritual. We want to create a logical synergy between the different classes. For example, a Black Warrior can reach the strength cap, but not for power or concentration. Stats are as diverse as armor, perception rate, magical damage, regeneration rate, and many others, which allow you make numerous unique builds.

Each time the player levels up, they will get points to increase their party members’ stats or their special class abilities.

Each level will grant you between 7-15 points to spend on stats, and 7-15 more points for abilities. There is a 30-level cap, so the way you assign these points will go a long way in determining how you play the game.​

£13 (yes, it's a British Kickstarter campaign) gets you a DRM-free copy of the game. Be sure to study the Kickstarter page for more details, including info on character abilities and the game's plot and setting. The pitch may be a tad weak, but overall it looks like a good project, so I hope they succeed.

Stabwound

Arcane
It sounds like party banter is pre-written and a large aspect of the game mechanics so I doubt they'll do that. The game looks promising, otherwise. This thing needs some promotion help.

Mortmal

Arcane
It seems they already put lot of work into the game, i am backing it of course . They are really asking not much , its obviously for advertisement and preorders purpose . The inxile guys and obsidian should speak about them on their projects home pages , these guys deserves a little more attention, they arent competitors, theres lot of room for those kind of games still .

Captain Shrek

If Fargo Trusts them I guess they are in the clear.

Stabwound

Arcane
Fargo has been pretty cool about promoting other kickstarters, even while his is running. I like the guy.

I really want to see this game succeed. It's obvious there's been a lot of work put into this already, along with the KS page which mimics other big name CRPGs (good thing). I think the currency being in pounds might be a little offputting to some but I guess that's how KS works if you're in the UK?

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm just excited about the resurgence of these types of games. There will definitely be some stinkers, but as of a year ago there was no hope at all for any decent CRPGs. Today I'd need both hands to count how many decent to great looking CRPGs are in the pipeline.

:incline:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Yeah but this game won't format your OS when you un-install it like that game Zed.
that's one feature in addition to the combat.. ;)

I'm not a big fan of ToEE, but at least that had some dialogue skill-checks, traps, puzzles and shit. I guess combat-centric games aren't my cup of tea.

Captain Shrek

I'm just excited about the resurgence of these types of games. There will definitely be some stinkers, but as of a year ago there was no hope at all for any decent CRPGs. Today I'd need both hands to count how many decent to great looking CRPGs are in the pipeline.

:incline:

:bro:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm not expecting PLANESCAPE immersible and compelling story writing (the story seems a bit bland though). But turn based, and looks sweet is a seller for me. Also the hand drawn art is fucking beautiful. <3

Do want to hear more about the combat system though.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Way too many quality Kickstarters at the moment. Do hope they'll make it but I'm going to have to take a long look at my recent pledges. Disposible income has its limits.

Anyway, it is looking rather nice. Seems to be a genuine old school dungeon romp. Me like.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I would back this, but I am saving my money to throw at Mark Jacobs and Camelot Unchained that is going to start its Kickstarter campaign later this month. :(

CWagner

Augur
Not sure about this one. Looks interesting but I'll probably wait until later into the KS to decide.

I would back this, but I am saving my money to throw at Mark Jacobs and Camelot Unchained that is going to start its Kickstarter campaign later this month. :(

Argh. It took me until the 3rd teaser to find out it's an MMO. I already thought it sounds cool. :decline:

Stabwound

Arcane
It looks like well done 3D to me. It's definitely possible (although never better than 2D isometric) but it looks like a much better implementation than similar games.

It's a completely LEGIT project undoubtedly. Nothing suspicious about it at all!
Sarcasm or what? This seems like one of the more professional efforts I've seen.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Grrrrgl. More tradfant European shovelware. Stake this vampire.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Grrrrgl. More tradfant European shovelware. Stake this vampire.

1744-yawning2.jpg

your shtick is getting old.

looks good, not spectacular, but decent. Might pledge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom