Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #16: Final Pep Talk

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Mark Morgan; Torment: Tides of Numenera

The last Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update before the end of the campaign is a dramatic final speech from Brian Fargo. It comes with a concept art of the male player character. I'll post the entire thing here:

And here we all stand setting history with the crowdfunding campaign for Torment: Tides of Numenera. We often speak of paradigm shifts and game changers in our industry but you are truly witnessing it in this groundbreaking new model of connecting creators with the players. You have all heard me speak to this new power, but truly it will shape the kinds of games you play and the policies of the developers and publishers. More than ever we are in sync with the simple goal of making games without ever losing the gamer’s interests. At Interplay our slogan was By Gamers, For Gamers and this attitude could not be truer today.​

There is no way this game would have ever been funded without this new method of connection and without the passion of our backers who didn’t just donate but worked as a team to spread the word. You guys rock! The passion of the RPG gamer is like none other.​

We are both humbled and excited that you have given us this opportunity. The team we have assembled is pretty unbelievable and I have full faith that together we will create a true classic. I never stopped working to get Chris Avellone aboard to make sure we had the band back together. But it only got better when we brought on guys like Pat Rothfuss and Kevin Saunders to take the game to new heights. The trick is always to surround ones self with brilliant people and to create an environment in which creativity can flourish.​

I want to give a special shout-out to my wife Ashley for driving her insane talking incessantly about Kickstarter, Wasteland 2 and Torment for 24 hours a day. I’d also like to thank super fan Steven Dengler who stepped up to match my dollar contribution. The world would be a better place with more Steven Denglers.​

Our communication does not stop here. As you’ve seen, we do have our own creative vision for this game but it will be our regular contact with you that helps us hone in on the right aspects of it all. With this great crowdfunding success comes great responsibility and we could not take it more seriously. My confidence in delivering a classic you will love comes from this open dialogue.​

As you may know we have a closing party today in which we will celebrate the success we’ve had with this campaign and countdown to the final minutes of closing. We are of course ecstatic at our current funding but we are a competitive bunch and would love to beat the total funding record that our dear friends at Obsidian currently hold. We thought it only natural to invite any backers of the game and at last count we had 100 of you RSVP that you are attending. I look forward to meeting you. And for those that cannot attend, you will be able to join us virtually at this link starting at 2:30 PDT:​

And before I end my writing let me share one more incredible concept piece from Nils Hamm that showcases the male player of Torment: Tides of Numenera.​

Once again I would like to thank you for making it possible for me and all my team at inXile to spend many more years creating the best RPGs we can.​

Godspeed! :salute: (btw what the heck is that green thing?)

Update: The full version of the Mark Morgan track from yesterday's animated screenshot has been made available over at Destructoid. You can access it directly here.

Update 2: The campaign has reached 73,000 backers, unlocking the eleventh Fathom of Castoff's Labyrinth. Okay guys this is getting silly.

Update 3: Colin McComb has a bit to say about the male PC concept art on his blog:

So here’s the Last Castoff (male version) holding a pack of broken hounds at bay. Please note that the LCO’s haircut is not a punk cut or a buzz cut – zoom in, and you’ll see that it’s been burned off, and the flesh has bubbled and scarred.​

Update 4: The campaign has reached 76,000 backers, unlocking the twelfth Fathom of Castoff's Labyrinth. Double recursion!

Update 5: The campaign has concluded, with $4,188,927 and 74,405 backers on Kickstarter and at least $127,505 on PayPal. A record-breaking success!

hiver

Thats a numenera claw shuriken kusarigama, of course.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
(btw what the heck is that green thing?)

Already told you. 'Tis a birddog whip.

Also: Man I really, really hope this hits 4 mil. because that desert city is fucking SEXY. Was hoping it would have when I woke up but alas. Also, this KS nicely landed on a payday to soften the blow of my pledge. Nice.

belated

Augur
They've already passed 4M when you include paypal, no? Wasn't paypal ~250k?

Edit: nm. Paypal was $89,160 when Fargo last tweeted it. I must have confused it with something else.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Does the $200K that Fargo and this Dengler guy donated count towards strech goals?

hiver

Not at the moment, no.
They are like, keeping that as insurance and something, though i wouldnt be surprised if they throw that into the overall pot later on.

/

The art is nice but... that guy is just too pretty. and totally... a model from a magazine.
Why do we have to have pretty guys for characters? Cant i get something just.. normal?
Like some normally ugly man.

... female character again for me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does the $200K that Fargo and this Dengler guy donated count towards strech goals?

Basically no, although my guess is that if they come within, say, 10k bucks of a stretch goal they'll chip in from that sum.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, I know you can't pledge to your own KS...though there's nothing to stop that money exchanging the right amount of hands to make it happen.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Fuck. I want that Volournminous Codex in mah Torment game. But 4.25 seems very unattainable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Well, I know you can't pledge to your own KS...though there's nothing to stop that money exchanging the right amount of hands to make it happen.

Dude it doesn't matter WHERE the money is. The campaign will end, and they'll declare that they're doing the stretch goal despite KS + PayPal not reaching it.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Yeah, it'd seem so strange to dangle a carrot of that magnitude only to toss it in the trash.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Considering they're so close and the # of Tides being 16 was the 'original design', I'd say that has been in the bag since 3.75 even.

Captain Shrek

Technically with Payapl, I guess 4M will be reached in a couple of hours. I can't see why 4.25 is impossible.

winterraptor

Cipher
If there are 'last-minute heroes' waiting in the wing to do their hero thing, it might happen.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
No way they won't do the 4m bit, whether they actually 'hit' it or not.

I actually want the Voluminous Codex thing at 4.2 million. I loved the witcher journal and wish more games would have something like that. The other goals at that level are pretty meh though.

Captain Shrek

If there are 'last-minute heroes' waiting in the wing to do their hero thing, it might happen.
Well, just by looking at all other curves I think this is almost guaranteed. I am not really worrying.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
And keep in mind that the funding doesn't actually end completely just because the KS does. There are always quite a few slacker backers, plus they can keep PayPal open throughout the entire length of development.

Liston

Augur

Dude it doesn't matter WHERE the money is. The campaign will end, and they'll declare that they're doing the stretch goal despite KS + PayPal not reaching it.

IIRC Fargo said during Wasteland 2 kickstarter that stretch goals aren't set in stone and that if pledges come near enough that they would do it. I'm sure that same thing applies to Torment.

winterraptor

Cipher
I swear Comments is 50% people talking about 'if every backer adds X, we'll get...'

hiver

Kevin Saunders :

Certainly the list of Stretch Goals is far from everything we'll have in the game. =) What I mean by this is that if we don't reach $4.5M, we might still find that we can implement a "stronghold" and then would do so if we feel that's the best thing for the game.
(But if doing so would strain other aspects of the game that we feel are more central to the vision, then we wouldn't.)

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Jesus, why are people so retarded when it comes to KS pledge patterns? Of course they will hit 4.25, once the stream starts they will probably average about 40-50k per hour at the minimum. They're already at 17k for the last hour.

norolim

Arcane
$4,25M is pretty much guaranteed. $4.5 is likely. And I'm eagerly awaiting the live stream...got booze ready...lot's of it :kingcomrade:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom