Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Reaches $400,000 - Still 16 Days To Go

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios

As all of you hopefully know by now, the Kickstarter for Larian Studios' turn-based CRPG Divinity: Original Sin has reached its basic funding goal of $400,000 with 16 days still to go. Time to reach those sweet stretch goals!

Now that we’re funded, we’re going to make every effort we can to reach those stretch goals. We think they’d make a brilliant addition to what’s already going to be a very good RPG, so help us spread the word. Again, everything that’s invested in the game now, ensures that your gameplay experience (and modding experience) will be so much better this fall. Spread the word!

9714_500.jpg

The update also announces that Paypal pledges are now accepted, and that the game will be coming to Mac and Linux too. Plus there are also some new rewards (incl. a personalized in-game "message in the woods" for a mere $50), add-ons, etc. Check out the latest update in full.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's a shame that this team goes into greater detail over what they will actually put into the game than did the team working on the 'spiritual successor to Torment', but receives only a fraction of the excitement of that effort, despite the fact that inXile has yet to put out a good game. Richard Garriot hasn't made a good game in years, but his Shroud of the Avatar reached $2 million.

Larian Studios has done enough good with its past games and has been open enough with the community that it should have better Kickstarter success than this.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's a shame ...

I totally agree. Perhaps they are not Obsidian or inXile, but their pitch is rock solid. And the only reason for the current situation is that both Obsidian and inXile are playing the nostalgic vibe.

People's imagination and longing for something seems to be more powerful than seeing something already implemented. Strange albeit a human trait.

Koschey

Arcane
Great timing, just today I could confirm that I would be able to back D:OS after all. And I guess the Codex fundraiser could get a little love too.

Jashiin

Arcane
I really hope Larian is able to get a few high exposure interviews, wtf is and let's plays and such, to spread awareness. This really deserves more pledges. Still the timing may have cost them dearly. And many people are simply broke from torment. The 25 I've pledged is 25 more than I should have and no doubt this is the case for many others. Also if you read how they haven't had a dime from div1 and all the bullshit they've had to endure it would really be a shame if they cannot create this with all the bells and whistles it deserves.

^ Definitely, in fact I'm trying to remember the various forums I've joined throughout the years, logging in and starting new or bumping existing threads in an attempt to get the word out... Sadly, one forum with 1000+ active users and 1500+ guests has only yielded a handful of responses, well at least those were positive.

-EDIT-

I know it isn't much, but what the hell. I don't use facefuck or twatter, so this it in terms of going beyond friends and family.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
They are doing really well. I remember at the start, when that graph looked like it was flattening out, but they managed to turn it around. I would love to be a fly on the wall in Larian right now.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It doesn't look like it'll reach 1 mil at this rate and it's a damn travesty, is what it is. Weather affecting combat sounds fucking amazing.

I couldn't pledge to the Torment KS because, as poor as we are, my wife and I are getting 2 digital copies to play Original Sin co-op. I would prefer to put down the green through the Codex fund raiser but we need those 2 copies :(

Angthoron

Arcane
Hm, I just noticed that TotalBiscuit (Yes, I know, I know) has made a video on Larian's Original Sin and Dragon Commander about a year ago, perhaps he could be persuaded somehow to make a brief update on the subject. That would give Larian some very nice media exposure.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasteland 2 and Torment:ToN is something I would not only like to see, but even to play.
A bro Sven and the guys at Larian might be, their game(s) and pitch just doesn't 'emotionally engage' me.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wasteland 2 and Torment:ToN is something I would not only like to see, but even to play.
A bro Sven and the guys at Larian might be, their game(s) and pitch just doesn't 'emotionally engage' me.
Biodrone detected!

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
The NPCs have the same stats and formulas as the player. One level makes a big difference: they have more hitpoints, do more damage, and are generally harder to hit. But it’s still doable if you know what you’re doing.
As the hero, you start the game with 5 points in every stat, and you get 5 statpoints for customizing your character. Per level-up, you currently get 1 statpoint. But 1 statpoint makes a difference.
Items that have an impact on stats, have their positive and negative effects, so there are trade-offs that help building a character. There are items that support different types of character builds. We'll talk about items in a future update.
Stats are also used for saving throws against different effects. For instance, a high dexterity lowers your chance of falling down when walking over ice, and strength gives you a saving throw against being caught in a wall of ice (you can break through).
bigorc.jpg

It doesn't take a genius to see that this guy's speed stat will be low. And that his armor will absorb a lot of damage. And to wield such an axe, he must be very strong. Other than the lack of speed, what will his weak spots be?
Level
  • is a multiplier for your hitpoint bonus from constitution
  • is a multiplier for your mana bonus from intelligence
Primary stats
Strength
  • gives damage bonuses to attacks with melee weapons
  • defines how much weight you can carry
  • defines what items you can lift
  • defines how far you can throw items, depending on their weight
  • gives you a bonus to intimidation
Dexterity
  • gives damage bonuses to attacks with ranged weapons
  • gives you a higher chance of successfully picking locks and picking pockets
  • affects the "ideal range" of ranged weapons
  • lower chance of triggering traps, higher chance of disarming traps
  • better at repairing
Intelligence
  • determines your amount of mana
  • gives bonuses to magic (depending on the spell: damage, range, width of a cone, duration, how easy or hard the saving throw is...)
  • gives you a bonus to reasoning
  • helps you figure out NPC stats and resistances
  • helps you to identify unknown items
  • gives bonuses to mind resistance
Constitution
  • determines your amount of hitpoints
  • gives you higher resistance against poison
  • gives you a bonus to charming
Speed
  • determines the distance you can walk with one action point
  • defines how good you are at dodging or evading attacks (defense rating)
  • gives bonuses to initiative
  • spend less action points when changing equipment or using items in combat
Perception
  • determines how much chance you have of successfully hitting an enemy (offense rating)
  • defines your sight and hearing which helps your enemy awareness (e.g. on the mini map)
  • helps with discovering traps and finding treasures and secrets
FireDemon.jpg

This fire demon is a formidable foe. He has a very high resistance to fire. So high even, that fire damage actually heals him. He can create lava surfaces from a distance. Even though his speed stat is pretty low, he is known to sometimes fly over the battlefield. When he runs out of mana, he has to come close to drive his claws through his enemies, dealing piercing damage, or uses his tail to sweep multiple enemies in one attack, dealing crushing damage with a chance of knockdown.
Secondary stats
Offense and defense
These are determined by your primary stat perception and speed. They can be boosted by magical equipment. When you attack someone, your offense rating is compared to your enemy’s defense rating. This determines how much chance you have of actually hitting him.
Damage
This stat is determined by your weapon or your spell, and gets a bonus from one of your primary stats. This can be boosted by well-made or magical equipment.
Critical chance and critical damage
These stats are determined by your weapon. They can be boosted by well-made or magical equipment.
Armor
When a hit is successful, armor absorbs part of the damage that was dealt. For instance, if you’re hit with 8 damage and you have armor 3, you only take 5 damage. If your armor rating is very high, it is possible to completely absorb all the damage that is dealt by a weak enemy. This stat is determined by your equipment and can be boosted with well-made or magical items.
Blocking chance
This is determined by the shield you are wearing, if you are wearing a shield. When a hit is successful, the shield gives you a chance of actually fully blocking the attack. Different shields obviously have different blocking chances.
Hitpoints
This stat is determined by your constitution stat, and can be boosted with magical items. Hitpoints do not regenerate automatically, and can only be regained by healing, eating or resting.
Mana
This stat is determined by your intelligence stat, and can be boosted with magical items. Magic spells cost mana. Mana does not automatically regenerate and can only be regained by drinking potions, eating certain types of food, or resting.
Sight and hearing
These secondary stats are determined by your perception stat. They can be boosted by special or magical equipment. They define how far you can see (we have a shroud, and fog of war system), and how well your hearing is (so you can hear and even identify an NPC without being able to see him).
Initiative
This stat is determined by your speed stat, and can be boosted with special or magical items. It gives you bonuses when combat starts and initiative is rolled.
Persuasion
This is determined by equipment bonuses only. Persuasion gives you bonuses when trying to intimidate, charm or reason with your party members or NPCs.
Walk speed
This stat is determined by your speed stat, and can be boosted with special or magical items. It determines how far you can walk with one action point in turn-based combat.
Luck
This stat can only be boosted with magical items. It’s the X factor of the game...
Poison resistance
Determined by your constitution stat. Poison resistance will absorb the damage poison would do every turn.
Fire, Water, Earth and Air resistances
Determined by magical items you are wearing. These absorb elemental damage.
Mind resistance
Determined by your intelligence stat, and magical items you are wearing. This helps against mind attacks (for instance fear).
Piercing, Slashing, Crushing resistances
Determined by the equipment you are wearing. These resistances absorb damage from physical attacks.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Except Divinity will be more similar to Torment than WL2 would be. The Divinities have been plot-centric games, similar to Torment, whereas Wasteland and the Fallouts have been more open ended and sandboxy. So to say that you are more emotionally engaged by Torment and WL2 reeks of fanboyism rather than any display of story-centric preference.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Poor choice of words on my side, my attempt at subtle irony obviously failed.
I don't care about Divinity. The plot/scenario doesn't interest me. Honestly,
someone takes it serious when you type emotionally engaged. And: In apostrophes?
The codex must have been hit harder in it's very depths than I supposed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom