Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #60: Berlin DLC to be expanded, delayed until January

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Shadowrun Returns; Shadowrun: Dragonfall

The latest Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter update has some news about the game's upcoming Berlin DLC, among other things. I quote:

Beyond working on bug fixes, translations, Linux, and finishing the tablet versions of the game, the engineering team has been investigating improvements to our save game functionality. We are aware that there are a number of people who would like the ability to save in the middle of scenes. However, we also know that adding this feature would involve major changes to the core infrastructure of the game. It’s still too early to say whether this is going to be possible, but we wanted to let you know that we’re actively investigating it and will let you know more in the coming weeks.

We've heard a lot of questions from you wondering what to expect from Berlin. Well, our original plan called for a modest-sized campaign that we could ship by the end of October. However, after listening to your forum discussions and feedback, it became clear that you would like to see something bigger (and so would we). So, we've decided to spend more time on Berlin to create an experience closer to the size of Dead Man’s Switch. A story of that scope will take longer, so we’re targeting January for its release. While we're still in the early stages of development and many things could change, we’d like to share what we’re planning so far. For example - we know that we want our next story to feel more like the player is part of a shadowrunning crew and contain more corporate intrigue.

Here are the key ideas driving Berlin pre-production right now:
  • A more flexible main story arc - choose which runs to complete first, and which factions to complete objectives for
  • More depth to the NPC runner characters
  • New weapons, outfits, portraits, music, and enemies - including more magical creatures
  • Improved Physical Adept gameplay - along with additions for some of the other existing archetypes
  • A European city with a very different look, “vibe”, and cast of characters
  • A story that highlights the compelling themes of the Shadowrun: Germany sourcebook
In addition, for the GMs out there, all of the environments and characters that we add in Berlin will also be available in the Shadowrun Returns Editor for anyone who has the Berlin campaign installed.​

Yeah, I know, "LOL the size of Dead Man's Switch". I guess the original plan for the Berlin DLC was pretty tiny. By the way, in case you haven't heard yet, the assumption that the DLC would be some kind of open world or sandbox experience turned out to be a baseless rumor. Personally, though, I'm more concerned about the difficulty level than about non-linearity. How about making this one actually be very hard when you set the difficulty level to Very Hard, HBS?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Lol? So compared to the base campaign this must have been like two hours long. Ah well, the delay will create a nice gap for a 75% off sale! It's sad that Kenshi will probably be better than Shallowrun.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Oh man, they're missing out on a critical segment of the customer base. Whatever else can be said about people who obsessively horde Steam bling, at least they definitely payed for the game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Even as a backer, I am happy they decided to delay this. And it seems for all the RIGHT reasons. Give me a good and enjoyable kick ass cRPG HBS. I'm counting on you. :salute:

MCA
Sounds to me like they are doing ok with sales, enough to make this decision.

Has there been a sandboxy mod that has the player revisiting locales/hubs yet?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Oh man, they're missing out on a critical segment of the customer base. Whatever else can be said about people who obsessively horde Steam bling, at least they definitely payed for the game.

Well after beating the main campaign never started the game again,so achievements could had been the needed push to play it again.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
You'll know your time is well and truly worthless when you find yourself replaying a 12 hour game for the sole purpose of getting a Steam achievement.

That guy who did 37 ME2 playthroughs at least had the excuse of being mentally ill.

DeepOcean

Arcane
LOL, "the same size as DMS". HBS, common, you have the guy that created shadowrun, the basic systems are ready, a kickass setting and now got steam jew money, make my dream of having at least a Fallout 1 sized CRPG based on shadowrun, your bastards. Jeez, pick two modders, pay them with bananas and get someone who can write and you can get something bigger than DMS in less than 6 months already, your clueless bastards. If you aren't using all your man power on Shadowrun returns because of that Golem shitana bullshit you should change your name to LOL braindamaged schemes.:x God, the butthurt is strong on me.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
LOL, "the same size as DMS". HBS, common, you have the guy that created shadowrun, the basic systems are ready, a kickass setting and now got steam jew money, make my dream of having at least a Fallout 1 sized CRPG based on shadowrun, your bastards. Jeez, pick two modders, pay them with bananas and get someone who can write and you can get something bigger than DMS in less than 6 months already, your clueless bastards. If you aren't using all your man power on Shadowrun returns because of that Golem shitana bullshit you should change your name to LOL braindamaged schemes.:x God, the butthurt is strong on me.

I'm not so angry about it as you are, but I agree with the sentiment. I am fine with them delaying the DLC, but they have the groundwork in place with DMS. Now it would be nice to play a CRPG that wasn't 15 hours without such quick character advancement. I guess I'll put my hopes into Underrail for a longer isometric game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Can't wait to have my 8-hour "open world" expansion.

They didn't say "open world", they said "choose which order to complete quests in and which faction to work for". It sounds a lot like NWN1-style "you get four quests, do them in whatever order you want, move on to next hub, repeat" to me, but possibly with only one hub. And keep in mind that "choose which faction to work for" deos not actually indicate that there will be different maps or goals for different factions.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Even as a backer, I am happy they decided to delay this. And it seems for all the RIGHT reasons

Why is everyone saying this? Almost everyone had the exact same criticism of the original; too shallow. Too much butter spread on too little bread. They're not meeting that criticism at all. They're not focusing down the game, they're not changing the structure of the game (which would be pretty easy, just switch to a mission-hub based structure), they're doing exactly the same thing they did with the original except now you can choose which order to do missions in. As in, they're adding MORE bread and NO butter. Has everyone forgotten the game they played two weeks ago?

Though, actually...

I'm not so angry about it as you are, but I agree with the sentiment. I am fine with them delaying the DLC, but they have the groundwork in place with DMS. Now it would be nice to play a CRPG that wasn't 15 hours without such quick character advancement. I guess I'll put my hopes into Underrail for a longer isometric game.

If all fans are demanding them to make fucking Fallout with the resources they have (LOL) it's no wonder that they aren't doing what they should be doing (that is, focusing the game LESS on open world mechanics and MORE on the shit that works, i.e. missions).

Gondolin

Arcane
HBS said:
  • A more flexible main story arc - choose which runs to complete first, and which factions to complete objectives for
  • More depth to the NPC runner characters

Translation: We're slowing figuring out what the backers wanted us to do with their money.

Diablo169

Arcane
Meh I mostly bought it for the editor. The law of averages means there will be at least one great fan created module.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'm okay with more of the same, but if it will be better, like missions which are actually complex and hard, C&C which matter at least somewhat and characters you can build relationship with while running on missions. A little flexibility, free roaming and choice wouldn't hurt of course, too. But for now I'm just happy they will add meat to the bones.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I kept trying to make a mod campaign but the linearity just makes me not want to. I still liked the game as a kind of Xcom-lite though, and the world is great. Looking forward to more stuff coming out.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Something from March
http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discussion/comment/36909#Comment_36909
We're of two minds on Berlin - on the one hand, we're thinking of ramping up the difficulty a bit. On the other hand, we're considering doing the same ramp as Seattle so that audiences who eventually want the option of starting with Berlin and THEN trying Seattle can do that. Either way, you'd be an ass-kicker early on in the second campaign.

This should also cause much angst
http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discussion/comment/108223#Comment_108223
This one I'll answer. We don't plan for Berlin to be a continuation of DMS.

We'll talk about import vs start over later.
I don't know what they have to talk about. If it's not a continuation, why would import matter?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't know what they have to talk about. If it's not a continuation, why would import matter?

DA:O -> DA II allows import even without continuation. I suspect that's what they mean.
I knew it couldn't import your money or stash, but I looked it up and it does keep track of your decisions. But I dunno how many of those decisions are going to be checked considering the campaign takes place on the other side of the world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom