Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 1 released to Wasteland 2 backers, available on Steam and GOG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Wasteland; Wasteland 2

As promised in the recent Wasteland 2 Kickstarter update, inXile's Enhanced Edition™ of Wasteland has been released. It's now available exclusively to Wasteland 2 backers on Steam and GOG. If you're a backer, you can get your key at Ranger Center. If you're not, well, the game will be available for purchase to the general public starting from November 12th. Here's GOG's description of the game:

For the first time in over 20 years, we are heralding the return of a much loved piece of gaming history with the classic RPG, Wasteland!

Mutants. Again. Even more than there were last time: they seem to materialize out of the very grains of the radioactive desert sand. Venomous yellow eyes. The black gunmetal glint of Uzis as they close in for the kill. There's nowhere to run, and nothing to rely on but your MAC 17 machine gun. What a way to save the human race.

The year is 2087, eighty-nine years after an all out nuclear war between the United States and the Soviet Union turned vast swaths of the Earth into a hellish wasteland where survival is a daily struggle against thirst, hunger, radiation sickness, ravaging raiders, and mutants - always mutants. You are a Desert Ranger, one of a band of stalwart lawmen born from the remnants of a U.S. Army detachment who survived the nuclear holocaust by holing up in a maximum security prison. You may wear ragtag uniforms and carry make-shift weapons, but the Desert Rangers are the only law left in what was once the American southwest.

Now something more secretive and sinister than the usual roving bands of mutants and raiders is menacing humanity, and it's your job to investigate. Recruit the help you need, follow any leads you find, but beware. The wasteland is lawless desert and a lonely place, and the choices you make will shape the world around you. Better choose wisely. Your life depends on it.
The GOG page also has some screenshots that demonstrate the game's enhanced portraits. I think they look pretty good, but they're apparently not animated, which is a shame. They can be disabled of course, but it sure would be nice if someone got them to be animated as well. That being said, enjoy your new old game, folks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Neat! Time to give it a shot.

EDIT: Wish there was a way to tweak the resolution

Last edited:

m_s0

Arcane
In any case, the game has a "classic mode" that disables them and all other enhancements, so everybody can be happy. Enjoy your new old game, folks!
So it's everything or nothing?

m_s0

Arcane
The smoothing looks pretty bad, I would recommend leaving it off.
Yeah, it fits rather nicely with the new portraits. I like my pixels and having all of the text in-game sounds pretty good so I'm glad there's some customization available.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

m_s0

Arcane
I avoid reading updates. The less I know about Wasteland 2 the more fun I'll have when it comes out. Or the more disappointed I'll be - one of the two.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Neat! Time to give it a shot.

EDIT: Wish there was a way to tweak the resolution

If you put ideas and thoughts into this thread, they'll get tracked by someone on the team: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4817

That's cool to hear. Here's a little bug report for ya- the "wasteland reset" program goes bonkers if you try to use it.
Also- a description for skills during character creation would be useful, and: include the manual in the steam release as well, please.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The Wasteland Reset program is a bit confusingly named, I think. It's strictly for resetting the game world while keeping the same party, so you can have a "New Game Plus" experience. You don't need it if you're going to start a new game with a new party.

Please post screenshot(s) of game's official page on Steam/GOG. +M

There is no official Steam page (yet). The GOG page I linked to in the OP.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Steam has now been updated to also include the same extras GOG.com has, under Steam\SteamApps\common\Wasteland\Extras

Brother None

Some guy over at Something Awful asked this:

Apologies if this has been asked I haven't been keeping up: if you gave your life savings to Obsidian and got Wasteland 2 with your tier do you get the Wasteland 1 rerelease?

torment portal>account>donations>Buttons to redeem gog or steam key

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom