Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Competition Score access to the Divinity: Original Sin ALPHA - just fill in the blanks!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Codex Original Sin KickStarter Campaign; Divinity: Fill in the Blanks Competition; Divinity: Original Sin

We have about a dozen spare Divinity: Original Sin keys to give away after Angthoron's been handing them out to our campaign backers. What better way to figure out who to give them to then to hold a competition!

Because we backed the D:OS KickStarter to the tune of a cool $11,327.70, it makes us eligible for a whole bunch of stuff which you can see below.

To enter, simply provide a name / description / message or whatever is required for one, or all of the categories below. We'll give an alpha key to the best entrant in each category. And if your entry is really good, we'll likely use your entry for the special Codex version of D:OS (or however it is that works so that this stuff ends up in the game).

1. Divinity: Original Sin Personal Message In A Bottle

Please write the message you would like to find in the game in a washed up bottle. If you play in co-op, your friend will also see this message.

Requires: Name, Message​

2. Divinity: Original Sin Name A Personal Pet

Please provide a name for the pet, and a description of what it should look like. (E.g. a black cat, a white dog...) We don't have all the animals available, but we'll try to provide as much as we can. Your pet will show up in your game, and if you play in co-op, your friend will also see this message.

Requires: Name, Description​

3. Divinity: Original Sin Personal Dual Dialogue

Please write the dialogue you would like to have with your partner in the game. If you play in co-op, your friend will also see this message.

Requires: Description​

4. Divinity: Original Sin Message In The Woods

Please write the message that you would like to have carved on a tree in the Dark Forest in the game. This message will be there for all players to see and shipped with the final game.

5. Divinity: Original Sin Name An Undead

Please choose a name for an undead creature. The name you choose will find its way to a pool in the final game. Every time an undead creature appears in the game, its name will randomly be chosen from this pool. The name you choose will be there for all players to see and shipped with the final game.

Requires: Name​

6. Divinity: Original Sin Name A Summon

Please choose a name for a summoned creature and specify what type of creature can use this name. You can also write a backstory for the creature. The name you choose will find its way to a pool in the final game. Every time a summoned creature appears in the game, its name will randomly be chosen from this pool. The name you choose will be there for all players to see and shipped with the final game.

7. Divinity: Original Sin Design A Henchman

Please choose a name for a henchman and specify what type of henchman he is. You can also write a backstory for the henchman. The name you choose will find its way to a pool in the final game. Henchmen created by players can then be browsed (and hired) by visiting the interdimensional mercenary's guild.

8. Divinity: Original Sin Design An Item Combo

Please describe an item combination. Describe the ingredients (item A and item B) and what item it creates when you combine these two (item C). Also describe what the use is of this resulting item. Please try not to create uses that are too elaborate. Please keep your items within the fantasy realm. Item combinations can be two items that can be picked up and combined, or one item that can be picked up and one heavy, unmovable item (like an oven). Your item combination will be in the final game for everyone to find out.

9. Divinity: Original Sin Design An Item

Please describe an item. Give it a name and a backstory. Also describe, if applicable, what it can be used for. Please keep your item within the fantasy realm. You can create an item that can be picked up or a heavy, unmovable item. Your item will be in the final game for everyone to find and use.

10. Divinity: Original Sin Design An NPC

Please choose a name for an NPC, race, and gender. You can choose what it should look like to a certain extent.

11. Divinity: Original Sin Mysterious Stranger

The mysterious stranger reward has not been selected by any backer.

To enter, reply to this comments thread with your submission(s).

We'll be spreading the love around so in the event that one person wins multiple categories, we'll give them one key for one entry, and then subsequent keys will go to the runner up. That way, at least 11 different people will be getting keys.

The competition will be open until such time as we feel we've got some worthwhile entries to use as the Codex' official entries.

Name the undead Stereotypical Villain. Nothing's better than a Sterotypical Undead Villain!

Nah, just kidding. I'm not THAT self-absorbed.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh, I'll bite.
Name: Theodore 'Boozebelt'
Henchman Type: Wizard+Club wielding maniac
Backstory: Once a promising student of magic, Theodore was kicked out by his tutor and banned from any further learning, after a very unstable experiment involving a sheep, garlic and a bottle of wine.
Theodore now takes to the bottle to forget his frustrations, and when drinking won't do, he takes to clubbing people with utter enthusiasm. While capable of a few powerful spells, his near-permanent state of inebriation means that he'd to blow up the wrong target more often than not. On the other hand, he can club people very well.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
10. Divinity: Original Sin Design An NPC

Name:
SMA
Race, Gender: Human Female
Description: A tall, mannish looking young woman who speaks with a lisp. Since the earliest years of her childhood, SMA knew she was a female. After spending years searching for a wizard to change her sex, she returned to her village only to find that she was not accepted there, so she turned to a life of prostitution. She is very articulate and speaks in an eloquent, flowery language and is fully capable of holding deep conversations with the PC on a variety of topics. But, call into question her lifestyle choices, however mildly, she will enter a fit of rage and threaten to leave the village forever. Provoke her once more and she will drop her skirt, revealing a foot long, throbbing, fully erect hyperweapon. She will proceed to (tastefully) rape the PC.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I know I'm supposed to scoff at this, but I'd do just about anything for a quick (saved) buck:

1. Elegantly written Message

To my future heir,

I have made a great fortune by doing even greater evil. Now I find myself drifting on the open ocean, pushished for my innumerable crimes. As penance, I have decided to bequeath all my worldly possessions to one lucky stranger.

With this message you will find:

1 bottle of infused Petrovian Whiskey (empty)
1 sheet of Master Abedan's fine grain paper (watermark of Lucian Eagle rampant in upper right corner)
1 drawing of a lovely maiden by the renowed artist Benedict Lucian

May this message bring you great comfort in troubled times,
Lord Lucian

(Beneath the message you find a faded drawing of a well endowed female elf stroking an eagle.)

2. The Butcher of [name of the smallest farm village in the game] (black cat with red snout and paws)

3. (I had to look up what this was, and it sounds really fucking dumb. This is the treatment it deserves)

A: Have you ever been in love, friend?

B1: Ah, I feel that my true love is yet closer than we both think! -> AA

B2: Alas, but no. Love still eludes me.-> AB

B3: None of your business, chum. Let's move on! [End]

AA1: [blush deep red] Oh my... err... hhh.... yes. [End]

AA2: Hrm, yes. Good talk. Maybe you should take the lead for a while...[End]

AB1: Ah, 'tis the same for me. How good to commiserate among friends! [End]

AB2: [flustered] Oh... well... okay then! Back to business for us, two fine friends on the road![End]

4. Don't trust the wood carvers.

5. Blind Pete

This skeleton has two lumps of coal stuck in its eye sockets.

6. The Beast of Legend (any creature)

You could swear that you've heard of this creature before, but you can't quite remember the details right now. Maybe you should read fewer books.

7. Hubert the Evaporator (sneaky, carries the biggest hammer possible)

A professional assassin who specializes in leaving his victims in a totally unrecognizable state.

8. Soap + Stick = soap on a stick

- a piece of lavender soap

- a bent stick

-> a ingenious invention that is sure to extend your life span by many years (confers 10% protection from diseases or weak debuffs for 5 minutes)

9. Filthy Sock

- The value of this clothing item is immeasurable, but only your truest friends will ever understand this.

can be offered to people to lower their opinion of you. Nobody will react positively to this item, ever.

10. Struggling Vixen

(dwarf woman, as ugly as possible)

11. Natas the Black

Elderly human male, will be encountered in a tavern. Very charming. Asks the players to collect apples for him, warns of demons lurking about, makes ambiguous references to the main plot, etc. Quest should be trivially easy to do; however, players will encounter an old crone that warns of dire consquences ("hark, infernal fires!") if players do not disable the huge burning furnace in an abandoned, cobweb-filled house nearby. This should be harder to do (locked doors, guard dog in the bag, maybe an old ghost woman haunting the place muttering about a "terrible blackness").

If players complete both tasks, Natas will leave the tavern and return with a freshly baked apple pie that gives a very neat (permanent?) bonus when eaten, boasting that this this is his finest creation to date. If they only complete the first part, he will return covered in soot (hence the name!) with a horribly burnt pie that gives no bonus whatsoever, but makes an off-handed remark that helps solve a difficult puzzle later on.

Awakened_Yeti

Arcane
Developer

You opened it . Good Luck. Tonight at midnight your true love will realize they love you. Something good will happen to you at 1:30 to 4:30 pm tomorrow, it could be anywhere. Tonight at midnight they will remember how much they loved you. You will get the shock of your life tomorrow, a good one. If you break the chain you will be cursed with relationship problems for the next 2 years. If there is someone you once loved, or still do, and can’t get them out of your mind, re-send this in another bottle within the next 5 mins. Its amazing how it works. If you truly miss someone, a past love, and can’t seem to get them off your mind…. then re-send this!

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Eh, I'll bite.
Name:
Theodore 'Boozebelt'
Henchman Type: Wizard+Club wielding maniac
Backstory: Once a promising student of magic, Theodore was kicked out by his tutor and banned from any further learning, after a very unstable experiment involving a sheep, garlic and a bottle of wine.
Theodore now takes to the bottle to forget his frustrations, and when drinking won't do, he takes to clubbing people with utter enthusiasm. While capable of a few powerful spells, his near-permanent state of inebriation means that he'd to blow up the wrong target more often than not. On the other hand, he can club people very well.

I'd like something like this. When you get introduced to him, you'll hear nothing about his drinking, but you'll get clues about it in the guise of that nice fireball at your back during that important battle.

Last edited:

made

Arcane
Don't need alpha key, but the game desperately needs a

White Wolf Puppy named Furald (Fellard in the German version). You kick and beat him with a stick, but the little bugger skillfully rolls away and tries to hump [female PC]'s leg.

white_timber_wolf_puppies_blog_011.jpg

himmy

Arcane

Name: Jean-Jacques Oiseau

Description: Multi-coloured, French-accented, talking bird that is not much help in combat, as it surrenders when its health drops below 80%. Throughout the game you can create a stronger bond through dialogue and lower its surrender threshold to 50% and then to 10%. While Jean-Jacques Oiseau is in your party, all cheese mysteriously disappears from your inventory seconds after collecting it.

Name: Ol' Dirty Bastard

Name: The Orchidometer.

Description: Among the many trials that composed the fabled Dwarven Undergames, none is more notorious than the Ball Measuring Contest. Quite simply, dwarves from all around the realm flocked to have their balls measured using this ancient and arcane instrument, each of them hoping that they will become the new Ball Hero of dwarven kind.

Effects: Applies Constitution modifier to dialogue checks.

SmartCheetah

Arcane

Just a Flesh Wound

"Unlearn you must, what you have learned."
- Master Xoda

3. Divinity: Original Sin Personal Dual Dialogue

- You smell that? You smell that?
- What?
- It's blood son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
- ...I love the smell of blood in the morning. You know, that metallic smell...Smells like, victory.

Koschey

Arcane
Just participating for fun.

"Hello stranger, I would have liked to help you, but you didn't specify where you are stranded."

:mhd:

Though I guess a landoctopus named Richard is a good enough approximation.

"It's my body, mom, you can't tell me what to do with it!" or some kind of stereotypical tattoo motive (anchor, mermaid, flaming skull,...)

Reef the Dark
Steve
Crumbles
Moulder

8. Divinity: Original Sin Design An Item Combo
Item A: Button
Item B: Awesome essence
Item C: Awesome button:troll:

Coyote

Arcane

You find a slip of parchment inside the bottle, wrapped around a scrap of cloth with some writing on it. The cloth reads:

Lord Pennington,

I was able to obtain passage in Cyseal on The Gilded Eel. However, we came across a terrible maelstrom that destroyed the ship, leaving me the only survivor. I am now stranded on a island about 50 leagues west of the Orobas Fjords. I've managed to convince the captain of a passing mailing ship to deliver this message, but he refused to take me aboard, saying that I was "bad luck". Damned sailors! Have you ever heard such a load of superstitious nonsense?

Please send help. Provisions are running low, and as you know my mission is of vital importance to the fate of Rivellon.

Ever your faithful servant,
Percival

The parchment reads:

Dear Sir or Madam,

It is with the greatest regret that I inform you that His Majesty's Royal Courier Service has been dissolved and is no longer accepting new deliveries. Enclosed is the message you provided for us to convey. Sadly, as a result of our dissolution we cannot deliver it in person, but we hope that this message finds you well.

Sir Arthur Smittering
HMRCS

Rotgut.

The Codex of Pestilential Thought & The Grimoire of the Inconceivable (found together)

The Codex contains many pearls of wisdom. However, to read it is to risk descending into madness. Use (one-time): +1 to intelligence, -1 to perception.

The sub-header of this grimoire states "You don't even know what you don't know." It appears to be an unfinished work, and although you can sense something great residing within, you cannot access it. Use: None (for now).

Random

Arcane
Patron

"Greetings! I am an alien from the planet Xxglbx! I have traveled a long ways to reach this planet so that I may meet you and your people! I am of a species of aliens that exist as a two-dimensional thought being, which humans perceive as a sheet of parchment! I would very much like to get to know you and offer you our technology to improve life for your planet! I hope you are not too squeamish, as I am currently having sex with your hand! It is very exciting! Your hand is amongst the best I've ever had! Soon, your hand will be the host to many of my children and explode with what appears to be a million tiny sheets of parchment all fluttering away to search for their own way in life! I'm so proud of you for being a mother!"​

Captain MacDuff, a brown dog​

"♡Crispy & LCG 4EVA♡"

Phelot​
11. Divinity: Original Sin Mysterious Stranger

Cleve​

Severian Silk

Dear Hero,

I know this message will surprise you. Please accept my quest. My name is SIR COMMANDER RHODE. I am the leader of (DRAGON SLAYERS LTD) located in Farglow town. I was betrayed by my subordinates and wrongfully imprisoned by the Aleroth guard and turned to stone by the wizard Bellagar. My condition is hopeless to survive. Nobody to summon for help. I am using my last magic to send you this message. I want you to take over my treasure in Farglow of $10,000,000.00 silver pieces and send a rescue expedition. I will offer you 12% for your commitment. Presently I cannot respond you, please contact my lieutenant Marius who direct and arrange release of the funds to you.

Yours faithfully, SIR COMMANDER RHODE, ESQ. Ph.D(Dragon Slaying)
You should make it sound like Nigerian email spam. I.e. they need to use your bank account.

Coyote

Arcane

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as one carved into a tree.
-Woodcutter Whitman

(...I think the original poem was actually by Joyce Kilmer, but I like the alliteration of "Woodcutter Whitman".)

Codexian version:

A poem lovely as a forest of pussy

Scratch that, full Codexian version:

A poem lovely as GD

A poster inane, deranged, or pissed
Against this gay earth, beneath my fists

A tranny that looks at GD all day
Accused of causing society's decay

A post that may in Retardo
Prove as beloved as Fargo

Plane tickets, train tickets, or a bus
Which is better and why? Discuss!!

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only GD makes insanity.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom