Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News South Park: The Stick of Truth available for pre-order, gets a bunch of new trailers

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; South Park: The Stick of Truth; Ubisoft

Obsidian's South Park: The Stick of Truth is finally nearing its release, and is now available for pre-purchase on Steam. The price is $60, and includes the usual assortment of pre-order exclusive nonsense. Perhaps to coincide with this occasion, Ubisoft have released several new mini-trailers for the game. I'll embed the most Codexian one here:

The other two can be viewed here and here. As usual, though, the real entertainment is to be found in watching Steamtards complain about the price in the game's community hub.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Don't forget about all the people complaining that its turn-based and that it is not an MMO.

Athelas

Arcane
There are also no dialogue options - apparently, the player character is the typical jRPG silent protagonist. Obsidian has gone full weaboo. :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are also no dialogue options - apparently, the player character is the typical jRPG silent protagonist. Obsidian has gone full weaboo. :)

I didn't know silent protagonists were typical to JRPGs.

Athelas

Arcane

jRPG's where the protagonist doesn't talk and has partymembers/NPC's 'interpreting' for him were/are extremely common, yes. It's either that or the protagonist having a fixed personality and being talkative with no input from the player. In either case, there are no dialogue choices to be made.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
jRPG's where the protagonist doesn't talk and has partymembers/NPC's 'interpreting' for him were/are extremely common, yes.

The only one I've heard of is Chrono Trigger. *shrug*

In any case, it'll be interesting to see if/how Obsidian implements their C&C-centric game design philosophy without being able to effect it via dialogue choices.

Athelas

Arcane
jRPG's where the protagonist doesn't talk and has partymembers/NPC's 'interpreting' for him were/are extremely common, yes.

The only one I've heard of is Chrono Trigger. *shrug*
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeroicMime
The jRPG section is the longest one by far, even longer if you include stuff like Zelda that's not strictly an RPG.

In any case, it'll be interesting to see if/how Obsidian implements their C&C-centric game design philosophy without being able to effect it via dialogue choices.
Hard to tell. From what I understand, Matt and Trey have full creative control. The fact that 95% of the footage shown so far seems to consist of cutscenes (instead of characters just bantering while you walk) doesn't exactly bode well.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hard to tell. From what I understand, Matt and Trey have full creative control. The fact that 95% of the footage shown so far seems to consist of cutscenes (instead of characters just bantering while you walk) doesn't exactly bode well.

It's a fucking South Park video game FFS. :lol:

What are you expecting? Arcanum?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The fact that 95% of the footage shown so far seems to consist of cutscenes (instead of characters just bantering while you walk) doesn't exactly bode well.

I suspect that may have more to do with the actual gameplay not being very impressive looking for trailers, but we'll see.

Don't forget about all the people complaining that its turn-based and that it is not an MMO.
Turn-based with no movement plane is just as shitty as an MMO.

Tell that to the people in the Might & Magic X thread. :smug:

Duraframe300

Arcane
jRPG's where the protagonist doesn't talk and has partymembers/NPC's 'interpreting' for him were/are extremely common, yes. It's either that or the protagonist having a fixed personality and being talkative with no input from the player. In either case, there are no dialogue choices to be made.

Yeah, no.

Just no.

First off that counts for older JRPG's. Most modern ones have voiced protagonists and if anything its the opposite. I've seen more dialouge choices in older JRPG's like CT than in modern ones, even if those are fake.

And in South Parks case I dunno. I'm sure you still get to choose in some way. Possible with other interaction since the game seems to be heavy on environment interaction.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
The fact that 95% of the footage shown so far seems to consist of cutscenes (instead of characters just bantering while you walk) doesn't exactly bode well.

I suspect that may have more to do with the actual gameplay not being very impressive looking for trailers, but we'll see.

Turn-based with no movement plane is just as shitty as an MMO.

Tell that to the people in the Might & Magic X thread. :smug:
JRPGs are basically blobbers, combat-wise (and intentionally so). They just don't have the exploration and customization/development and whatever else.

Athelas

Arcane
If nothing else, Obsidian seems to have finally succeeded at making a cinematic RPG that appeals to the masses. :troll:

Duraframe300

Arcane

Yep.

Though I found the gameplay so far pretty good/potentially entertaining. At least the Level Design is a big step forward and seems to be full of secrets (like in that off-screen gameplay footage shown last year). As far as combat goes I liked things like Jimmy buffing your enemies. I can't say much about difficulty since they made the charachters clearly overpowered in that gameplay trailer. I mean the main char was like Level 14 and the quest seemed very introdictory.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

It's a fucking South Park video game FFS. :lol:

What are you expecting? Arcanum?
Unless the design changed, South Park has reputation mechanics not unlike New Vegas's.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Okay I remember seeing that a while back.

So basically a jrpg in South Park.

Have they said anything about exploration? I think that could make or break this game.

hiver

You gonna ... slurp it all up, eh?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom