Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Eschalon: Book III Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Basilisk Games; Eschalon: Book III; GOG

In an age where relatively high budget retro RPGs are making a comeback, it's easy to forget the one man indies that kept the fire burning during the long age of RPG decline. Among them were the Eschalon games, developed by Basilisk Games. Eschalon: Book III, the last game in the series, was released today. It's currently available directly from Basilisk's own site and on GOG, for the price of $20. It'll also be available on Steam later today. Here's the game's description on GOG:

Overview:
Eschalon: Book III brings the trilogy to a climactic end as you seek to uncover the mystery of your past, the secrets of the Crux stones, and who the Orakur really are. You’ll traverse miles of virtual wilderness and dungeons, filled with secrets and danger, in an unparalleled role-playing experience designed to feel like a true pen-and-paper RPG.

Book III is not a dumbed-down “RPG for the masses”. Rapid button clicking won’t save you here. Eschalon pays honor to the greatest RPGs of the past, with unlimited character development options and freedom to explore the world as you wish. The difficulty of the game does not scale to your character.

What's cool about it:
  • Dozens of fan-requested features and updates to the engine and rule set.
  • Hundreds of graphic updates including re-rendered tiles, new spell effects, and enhanced environment effects. New sound effects and music in crystal-clear HD audio via an updated sound engine.
  • Expanded stats for creatures give them new abilities, defenses and vulnerabilities. Combat will require new levels of strategy.
  • New spells and hundreds of new items for you to discover. A huge world filled with secrets, riddles, traps, treasure, and glory awaits you!
Incidentally, GOG also has a ton of sales today for Valentine's Day, including a free giveaway of Dungeon Keeper, so you might want to check that out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
:thumbsup:
The first twos were surprising little gems, from which i drew my fair share of enjoyment, and i expect this one will be just the same...

Gord

Arcane
Hm, in principle I'd buy it on GOG, but I guess Steam will come with Linux support, while GOG does not.
Decisions, decisions...

In an age where relatively high budget retro RPGs are making a comeback, it's easy to forget the one man indies that kept the fire burning during the long age of RPG decline. Among them were the Eschalon games, developed by Basilisk Games. Eschalon: Book III, the last game in the series, was released today. It's currently available directly from Basilisk's own site and on GOG, for the price of $20. It'll also be available on Steam later today. Here's the game's description on GOG

I can't help but read this in Kent Brockman's voice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karmapowered

Augur
What is the word about playing archers/rangers in book 3 ?

You had to be a masochist to play one in 2 (compared to how easy/OP mages were anyway).

I did.
I was so young and naive :negative:

kentable

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Looks like the Basilisk website is down? I'll have to buy it Steam then. I always enjoyed the series for it was but the first two annoyed me so much with the large empty locales I had to hike through explore.

Tigranes

Arcane
Hrm. Looking forwward to impressions from people, hoping that compared to Book II it's a bit less bland and empty.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Looks like the Basilisk website is down? I'll have to buy it Steam then. I always enjoyed the series for it was but the first two annoyed me so much with the large empty locales I had to hike through explore.
Why not buy it from GOG? You'd be getting the DRM-free version you'd be getting from Basilisk...

Tigranes said:
Hrm. Looking forwward to impressions from people, hoping that compared to Book II it's a bit less bland and empty.
I only found that the last 25% or so is "bland and empty" (i.e. "lets fill up a third of the map with empty plains and minotaur dudes!"). Unfortunately, it's been like that for both games, and I doubt this one will be different.
That said, there i enough in the games to keep me coming back. I just wish more attention was paid to the end bits.

Boxer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Was there ever a patch that fixed the crawling speed in the crawling simulator?

Bah

Arcane
I found the movement speed in both 1 and 2 to be ridiculously slow. So much that I gave up on both and never finished either. Won't buy the 3rd until I can see first hand at a friends or something that movement isn't painful.

Gord

Arcane
I never cared about walking speed in the games.
Seems that you either find it unbearable or don't care at all.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Escahalon 2 was a a pretty big buyer's remorse for me.

The combat is utterly boring. It doesn't matter if the game is turn based or not if the combat is so mindless and devoid of options.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
The first twos were surprising little gems
sure.. if by gems you mean perfectly mediocre games lacking ambition.

Care to explain?

The one thing I loved about the games is the exploration. There are so little games that offer any rewarding exploration. Games like Skyrim tout "open world", but exploration in those games is about as fun as fisting an emu. At least this game has some meaningful exploration. So far in Book 3 I have been fetching treasure from all over the world, and I am enjoying it.

Combat so far is on the very easy side though. :/

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sweet! I liked the first 2 games, and am curious (story wise) how this will end. But I am so fucking poor right now, so will pick it up when I can. :/

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I found the movement speed in both 1 and 2 to be ridiculously slow. So much that I gave up on both and never finished either. Won't buy the 3rd until I can see first hand at a friends or something that movement isn't painful.

Setting the renderer to opengl solved the speed issue, making the walk speed quite OK. The walking around while using the directx renderer was insufferably slow for many people.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Hrm. Looking forward to impressions from people, hoping that compared to Book II it's a bit less bland and empty.
This. I quit playing book 2 because I just lost interest halfway through. It was better than Book 1 which I completed, but I just couldn't hold interest in the game.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

Setting the renderer to opengl solved the speed issue, making the walk speed quite OK. The walking around while using the directx renderer was insufferably slow for many people.

Problem is still there if you use the DirectX 7 renderer. OpenGL and DX9 are fine however.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom