Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #77: Alpha Art Update

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity; Rose Gomez

This week, we have yet another Pillars of Eternity eye candy Kickstarter update. To tide us over until the next "serious" update, the art team at Obsidian put together a few new area screenshots, as well as some renders of various suits of armor from the game. I'll show you a couple of the screenshots:

It's not all dungeons and darkness in Pillars of Eternity. Sean Dunny finished up the beautiful beachy area of Anslog's Compass. Wave effects and details are courtesy of John Lewis. Named for a rocky stretch of land which theoretically resembles a sundial, this lagoon provides decent fishing for both brave Dyrwoodans and a local contingent of xaurips. More than one ship has met its end upon the nearby reef, and debris occasionally washes ashore from the wreckage.

Anslog's Compass.

Here you can see the Hall of Warriors done by April Giron. This large wooden structure is used as a meeting place for visiting warriors within Twin Elms. It is here that the Glanfathan hunters gather and tell stories of past deeds, discuss upcoming events and hunts, and conduct friendly contests of physical prowess (arm wrestling, tests of endurance, etc.). Sometimes, a visiting anamfath will take residence in the hall when visiting the city.

Hall of Warriors.

That's it for this week. We hope you enjoyed this quick art update! Come back next week for a thorough update on chanters and priests by Josh Sawyer.
A one week interval, just like old times! I wonder if that means something's coming up.

Update: Turns out that's a mistake. It's two weeks as usual.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game is so beautiful I want to have sex with it.

Not really, that would be kind of creepy.

:bounce:

norolim

Arcane
Yeah. This probably isn't the worst looking game in the world. I wonder how long that hut on the edge of the beach will survive, though. I'm guessing it wasn't planned as permament accommodation. ;)

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah. This probably isn't the worst looking game in the world. I wonder how long that hut on the edge of the beach will survive, though. I'm guessing it wasn't planned as permament accommodation. ;)

Does look a bit close to the edge, doesn't it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game has rising and falling water, so it could be that they took the screenshot at the height of the tide

norolim

Arcane
The game has rising and falling water, so it could be that they took the screenshot at the height of the tide
Tides are something you take into consideration, when planning to build stuff near the shoreline. It's not a big deal, though. It's a game, not ArchiCAD.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
This actually looks halfway decent. Maybe I'll have to cash in that backer award after all. I backed the minute I learned Tim Cain was in on it, but have been mildly disappointed ever since.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I'm a bit surprised at this sudden outpouring of praise. I mean, all of this game's screenshots look great, not just these new ones.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
the IE vibe is definitely there, a mix of IWD and BG, which is great. Love that beach shot. We can be reasonably sure that the art direction is going well, the monsters look ok, the areas look from ok to great, i'm even getting used to the silly names. And that tides thing could even be a nice tool for some sidequest, or a way to hide a thieves guild and such.

i can't think of any, but is there any game out there that makes a good use of tides and such?

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
af0ca01a_rimshot.jpeg

Copper

Savant
Maybe what many see as unreasonable criticism has encouraged people to be loud and proud about how awesome they think things are looking? I know the inverse happened with me when everyone was gushing over some of the early screenshots.

JasonNH

Augur
Indeed, it looks very, very nice. Perhaps the reason for the praise is from the consistency of the art to this point. We have a larger sample size and any fear that the initial screenshot with the waterfall might have been a one hit wonder can be laid to rest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom