Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Awesome Oblivion preview at TGSN

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Yes, another Oblivion article posted by Vault Dweller! When will this reign of terror end?! Anyway, there is a brand new <a href=http://www.tgsn.co.uk/elderscrollspreviewxbox360.htm>Oblivion preview/blowjob</a>. This preview redefines the concept of previews by adding the expected rating of the game: <b>9.6 - 10!</b>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote> The fact that you can do nearly anything, and that it will have a result which affects your character and those around you is breathtaking to imagine. With hundreds of hours of gameplay, an unthinkably open-ended style and currently un-paralleled graphics, this should be a thoroughly involving game, and the best RPG we’ve seen from Bethesda, which should tell you just how great we’re expecting this to be.</blockquote>
<br>
It's time for ... <a href=http://www.tgsn.co.uk/xboxreviewmorrowindgoty.htm>credibility check!</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Before I even begin to explain exactly what are the good and bad elements of Morrowind, I must say one thing: It is awesome.
<br>
<br>
Some of the tasks people have for you require the elimination of certain people, but those people will no doubt fight back. This kind of decision-making is what makes Morrowind sometimes a tense, risky adventure... Truly excellent stuff.</blockquote>
<br>
Well, this, without a doubt, is the stupidest thing ever written. "Hmm, should I attack this guy or not? He looks like the sort that fights back, so I'm not so sure... decisions, decisions"
<br>
<br>

<br>

EEVIAC

Erudite
That would be a neat game come to think of it. An idyllic fantasy setting where war and hate and magic don't exist, except for the PC and maybe some NPC opponents that are trying to wipe out the world at the same time you are. I'm thinking a cross between a rogue-like and a stategy game.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Well, this, without a doubt, is the stupidest thing ever written.
Well it's true, it is in fact that kind of decision-making, that makes Morrowind the game it is. To kill or not to kill, it's like an overwhelming open-ended extravaganza of choices... Truly excellent stuff.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
I'd like somebody to introduce him multiple choice cRPGs like Deus EX and Fallout 2.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Deus Ex had choices, but in the end they didn't mean shit. It doesn't exactly void them, but it's defintely jarring.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I'd give Morrowind TEH WIN in terms of offering choices over Deus Ex. Morrowind offers the player passive choices that are a consequence of the way things work in the game's design. Sure, they might not work well but it's a good step in the right direction. Deus Ex on the other hand just offered players the choices that were heavily scripted to work. When the player tested the world's workings, he was often presented with the man behind the curtain. The infamous examples of getting chewed out for entering the women's bathroom after beating down all the security forces in the area that are on your side as well as the neutral civilians running in circles around a thrown grenade until it blows them up come to mind.

Morrowind gives you skills which almost always work on every situation and it's up to you to use them appropriately. Those skills are passive with the workings of the world. They're just a part of it. Deus Ex's situations were nearly all set up without an AI handling contingencies the player might try on his own. As such, Morrowind gives you choices in a consistant world. Deus Ex doesn't.

Chefe

Erudite
Thank you for posting this review. It was very interesting and informative, and I continue to look forward to this amazing game.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
Naked_Lunch said:
Deus Ex had choices, but in the end they didn't mean shit. It doesn't exactly void them, but it's defintely jarring.
Your choice influences the ending. And you can chose to talk, sneak or blow you way in.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Pr()ZaC said:
Naked_Lunch said:
Your choice influences the ending. And you can chose to talk, sneak or blow you way in.
No they don't. I made a saved game right before the ending, and I was able to simply reload it and choose a different ending each time. The only thing choices influence was which characters lived.

Though DX defintely had some cool stuff in it, especially the MJ12 facility under New York. That is great level design.

Spazmo

Erudite
Bloodlines had choices throughout the game determining which last half hour of game you got. If you were always really respectful to the Asian vampires, for instance, then that ending would be availible to you. If you kept insulting what's-her-face the Asian vamp leader, you couldn't choose it. I think it was a similar thing with LaCroix and the Anarchs. It still only affected the very end of the game, though.

obediah

Erudite
Morrowind definitely trumps Deus Ex in choices. After 5 minutes of playing Morrowind I have to decide, what to do now?

*) uninstall morrowind
*) watch tv
*) play Deus Ex instead
*) jerk off to a Sol-o-Rex post
*) buy a gun and eat it

After 5 minutes of Deus Ex, I generally just keep playing.

DISCLAIMER: I had a lot of fun with Morrowind for a long time. But I'm done with it for ever, for all the open-endedness there is no replayability for me.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
Pr()ZaC said:
Naked_Lunch said:

Now is this DE 1 or 2 we're talking about? Haven't yet played the second, but in the first, there were what, 2 or 3 situations where you could talk your way somewhere? The rest was sneaking or shooting, but mostly a combination of the 2 (the way I ended up playing it, anyway).

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
voodoo1man said:
Pr()ZaC said:
Naked_Lunch said:

Now is this DE 1 or 2 we're talking about? Haven't yet played the second, but in the first, there were what, 2 or 3 situations where you could talk your way somewhere? The rest was sneaking or shooting, but mostly a combination of the 2 (the way I ended up playing it, anyway).
Don't bother with DX2. It's THE xboxified game, with unified ammo and small levels. It's not a true sequel.
Fable TLC is much more fun... :cry:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I'm going to relish the day when designers can't outdo each other with graphics anymore and instead fall back to making different gameplay mechanics and other "real" elements.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
We could try to decrease the size of the market for games with more graphical content and less gameplay, but in most countries murder caused by video games is frowned upon.

truekaiser

Scholar
TheGreatGodPan said:
We could try to decrease the size of the market for games with more graphical content and less gameplay, but in most countries murder caused by video games is frowned upon.

i would sujest a boycott but like that would work either.

Balor

Arcane
I'm going to relish the day when designers can't outdo each other with graphics anymore and instead fall back to making different gameplay mechanics and other "real" elements.
That's what I repeating to myself over and over like mantra or something too :).
Thumbs up! :D

Tintin

Arbiter
Graphics aren't a bad thing. When you sacrifice a good game for good graphics, than that's bad, but stop acting like realistic graphics is the worst thing in hell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom