Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Witcher 3 PAX East Gameplay Video

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

A short gameplay clip from the upcoming The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was shown at a panel at PAX East today. CD Projekt have helpfully wasted no time uploading the video to their YouTube channel. Watch as Geralt of Rivia defeats a wyvern menacing a rural trade route:

Definitely better than their last gameplay demonstration. You can watch the full panel over at Twitch. It revealed among other things that the Witcher 3 at one point had an ice skating feature.

Not bad.
I wish I could be more confident about the combat system being decent this time...
Oh well, at very least every single hands-on so far seems to think the game plays better than TW2 in that sense.

covr

Prophet
Patron
So, signs are 'magic spells' now? I hope this was a narrator mistake. Because that's how he called it.
Wyvern fight was pretty bad: his sword attacks has been really powerful to the enemy, while the monster was really weak. Geralt finished this fight with literally no damage to himself.
Also, the performance was not very good, probably video was taken using console version.
Lip sync was obviously not ready for release.

Paul_cz

Arcane
In the pax panel where they premiered it, they mentioned that Geralt is very overleveled which is why the combat seems so easy, makes for better presentation.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
In the pax panel where they premiered it, they mentioned that Geralt is very overleveled which is why the combat seems so easy, makes for better presentation.
However overlevelled he is, a bite from a wyvern or any other monster of this size should be, if not lethal, at least a significant setback.
In the books Geralt always relied on being fast and not getting hit - and when he got hit, it usually ended badly.

But I guess video game logic overrules common sense and lore consistency once again.

hivemind

>So, signs are 'magic spells' now? I hope this was a narrator mistake. Because that's how he called it.
It was a fucking pax east presentation of course calling them magic spells instead of witcher signs was intentional

Murk

Arcane
Only beef so far is that the combat looks just as floaty and loose as it did in TW2. Otherwise, this seems like TW2 with more of a real open world.

So far, I'm still optimistic and none of it is failing any expectations... I'm sure there will be some jank throughout the game, but I think I'm gonna enjoy it more so than the last two twitchers.

The wyvern's flight looks awfully janky.
To be fair it doesn't look any worse than most of the fights in TW2.
In fact, it looks somehow better. Not that it would take much.

Frankly at this point I've pretty much given up on the hope CDPR could come with an excellent combat.
I'm just hoping for this to be serviceable enough to serve its purpose (and not be annoyingly easy as it was in TW2 after few levels).

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Seems like this game has been 'coming soon' forever.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Looks like Witcher 2 with more shit to do and places to go. I'm alright with that.

turul

Augur
They're too busy downgrading it for consoles.

I was just gonna say that. It seems like it looks worse than since the first gameplay trailer. He was playing a console version judging from the button names. Or using a gamepad on a PC, which I can't understand why. I tried using gamepads on consolified crap before, and I don't know why people want to do that.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
The wyvern's flight looks awfully janky.
I would say the Wyvern looked out of proportions - too fat and too small wings - simply not as you would imagine an animal with the ability to fly. A bit like if it had an engine in its ass. Also flying very slow and unnatural.

There was an inexplicit explanation to that, that the Wyvern was feeding for a long time, and (maybe) therefore it is so slow and looks like big bumblebee that feed too much on the nectar and cannot take off from the ground. I wouldn't bet on that explanation though. More likely it is the slopiness of the designer. Still, I don't mind that and waiting for May.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
They're too busy downgrading it for consoles.
The graphical downgrade is real.

jIPYiPA.jpg

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Let's play a game: if these two pictures are from people talking one facing another, which direction does the light come from?

CqEf1oV.png

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I dislike all the queues about where to go and what do do in the quests, big huge circle on mini map to signal the obvious caravan destroyed in the middle of the road.

Modern rpg quest design is shit.

norolim

Arcane
They claim you can turn most of the aid off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom