Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Oblivion - a game for Casual Joe

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Another <a href=http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1211/The-Elder-Scrolls-IV-Oblivion/p1/>X05 Oblivion preview</a>. This comment was interesting though:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The previous Xbox game was a fan favorite for the “Power of X” crowd, but proved to be a little intimidating to the more casual gamer. Oblivion is hoping to please both crowds by having all the depth that any role-playing nut would want, plus it will incorporate a more lenient interface and control system for Joe Gamer to enjoy.</blockquote>I must admit, the concept of a game made for those who were intimidated by Morrowind scares me. Literally.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Twinfalls

Erudite
Oh come on, they're talking about the interface only. Morrowind's UI was clunky, items were largely unsorted. The new one looks much easier to use.

If this makes it less intimidating, fine by me.

Twinfalls

Erudite
On a more interesting note, here:

http://institute.no.sapo.pt/quests.html

are the strings for every single one of the Daggerfall quests.

This is the kind of ambitious, bravura game-making that the Toddling called, and I quote:

'Tons of procedurally generated garbage'.[tm]

edit: okay, he was apparently talking about DF's graphics, but whatever.

Gwendo

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
Another <a href=http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1211/The-Elder-Scrolls-IV-Oblivion/p1/>X05 Oblivion preview</a>. This comment was interesting though:

<blockquote>The previous Xbox game was a fan favorite for the “Power of X” crowd, but proved to be a little intimidating to the more casual gamer. Oblivion is hoping to please both crowds by having all the depth that any role-playing nut would want, plus it will incorporate a more lenient interface and control system for Joe Gamer to enjoy.</blockquote>I must admit, the concept of a game made for those who were intimidated by Morrowind scares me. Literally.

Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Don't worry. They're talking about the XBox version of Morrowind. I must concede that playing it with a gamepad and with that interface must had been... Tough.

About the current interface, looks great.

Tintin

Arbiter
This thread marks one step closer to a 100% Oblivion fansite.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Morrowind sure did intimidate me at first, but it wasn't the interface that did. It was the vastness of the world and the real life type directions to places. "Make a left here. Go east from here." That's what kicked some ass, though. I kind of feel like playing right now... Hmm...

Proweler

Scholar
Spoken dialog so you don't have to read those pieces of critical information.
A Quest compass that tells you where to go so you don't get lost anymore.
Fast travel so you don't have to spend hours walking the absolutly boring landscape.

At least they didn't put in a huge question mark ontop of a important NPC's head. So I guess they are listening to the more experienced gamers that can tell a Duke's a title of Nobility and probably important.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Is there a difference between a game that is more approachable to a casual gamer, yet still maintains depth and complexity that a more "hardcore" (for lack of a better term) expects and appreciates -- and a game that is, from beginning to end, tailor-made for a casual gamer with no depth or complexity, nothing more than meets the eye?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
... a game that is more approachable to a casual gamer, yet still maintains depth and complexity that a more "hardcore" (for lack of a better term) expects and appreciates
That's one of them urban myths you are talking about, pardner

a game that is, from beginning to end, tailor-made for a casual gamer with no depth or complexity, nothing more than meets the eye?
Sure as hell sounds like Oblivion to me, at least based on what we've been told about the game so far. I know, I know, it's loaded with good stuff but you can't tell us because otherwise they will have to kill you. Well, I suppose we shall find out soon enough.

One Wolf

Scholar
depends on what "approachable" means. if its interface tweaks, no big deal, everyone likes those. if its approachable in the sense that complex themes/character development/dialogue/plot are minimized so that people who don't like rpgs because of their complexity are happier, then it can spell disaster for those of us who love rpgs exactly because they intricate.

Deathbane27

Novice
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Is there a difference between a game that is more approachable to a casual gamer, yet still maintains depth and complexity that a more "hardcore" (for lack of a better term) expects and appreciates -- and a game that is, from beginning to end, tailor-made for a casual gamer with no depth or complexity, nothing more than meets the eye?

Of course. Hardcore gamers simply dismiss the latter outright without a second thought, while whining intensely about the former because it "could have been better". :)

One Wolf

Scholar
hey man, if someone doesn't whine about it then the the game devs think its fine to continue hackin the whole rpg genre to death.

elander_

Arbiter
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

POOWUUER CRYSTALLLS !!!

Visbhume

Prophet
Speaking of streamlined interfaces... any of you old geezers remember the time when RPGs started implementing the automap feature ? Were there cries of "dumbing down" and the like from throngs of fanboy desperately clutched to their stacks of graph paper ?

Proweler

Scholar
Arena had automap and you needed it because everything looked quite the same. :P

MrSmileyFaceDude said:

Somehow I can't quite imagine how you'd do that. Closest thing that comes to mind is opening a book of Sudoku puzzles. Easy accessible -open the book- and approachable -comes whit a tutorial- but still mind-boggeling difficult. Now I'm sure the experienced gamer will like that, but casual gamers will return the game whit the same ease as they bought it because they don't understand what is going on..

Unless you plan on putting all the drama in the story.

Excalibur

Liturgist
LlamaGod said:
From the way the 'casual appealing' games play and are designed and such, i'm guessing the casual gamer is something like this:

haha nice one, so true

JanC

Liturgist
I think Bethesda would have to dumb Oblivion down a little more before some of you guys could understand it.

What is difficult to separate about:
-More sophisticated gameplay.
-Better Interface?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Yes, you wake up after the first.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Visbhume said:
Speaking of streamlined interfaces... any of you old geezers remember the time when RPGs started implementing the automap feature ? Were there cries of "dumbing down" and the like from throngs of fanboy desperately clutched to their stacks of graph paper ?

My cry was more along the lines of "thank fuck for that!" I do kinda miss it a little bit though... but not enough I ever want to try it again!

H.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom