Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A eulogy for Alignment in CRPGs

Codex Year of the Donut
Alignment is great in CRPGs. On the one side, it puts you to higher ideals that are difficult to follow in regular life.
On the other side, it makes massacring a bunch of innocents better since give you more evil points.
They should be expanding alignment systems to more advanced forms based on classical philosophy such as ethical-moral.
Basic action games have no alignment. Wanting to take alignment back is not dissimilar to hating civilization and wanting us all to become equal "again", even though that isn't how it works.
I wonder what kind of retarded subhuman thinks regular life has clear-cut alignments that fit into a 3x3 grid.
Doesn't even need a 3x3 grid, just two options.
You either believe in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness or you're some kind of evil godless commie.

Gastrick

Cipher
Turd bombs? Maybe Rinslin Merwind was right, after all.
I know already, you consider truth to be shit, and prefer lies. What's true is right and the highest good
You claim that we irritated by your "truth bombs", yet it was you, who overreacted on our ratings...
I think you have to learn many things about RPG Codex, mate.
You think you can't be attacked with a rating, so you use it instead of normal criticism.
I wonder what kind of retarded subhuman thinks regular life has clear-cut alignments that fit into a 3x3 grid.
Lol, what a retard. I said that alignments are good but should advance further. Using a grid is just a way of representing different moral types.
The game would need to balance it's complexity levels as well so 3x3 works for that.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
You claim that we irritated by your "truth bombs", yet it was you, who overreacted on our ratings...
I think you have to learn many things about RPG Codex, mate.
You think you can't be attacked with a rating, so you use it instead of normal criticism.

Says the guy who can't rate. :smug:

Lol, what a retard. I said that alignments are good but should advance further. Using a grid is just a way of representing different moral types.
The game would need to balance it's complexity levels as well so 3x3 works for that.

Oh I see, it's not autistic enough for you yet.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
This thread is shit at least put funny images or something.

EfD9JOQ.png

5rpRCQb.jpg

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
D&D alignment is rooted in Americanism, go read the definition of good in the AD&D DMG and let me know what document it sounds familiar to.

There was a Gygax reading list (Appendix N) floating around some years ago that was far weirder than mere Americanism.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/91186.Gary_Gygax_s_Appendix_N_
>old sci-fi and fantasy literature
>weird
What am I missing here?

Not Americanism

Üstad

Arcane
Isn't the problem really linked in with the current culture war? Post-modernism says good and evil are just narratives, so everyone who subscribes to that philosophy will have trouble taking alignment seriously.

goodvsevilbanner.jpg

Additionally the West is multi-religious and a traditional complicated ethical system with all it's nuance may have fundamental differences with another, leading to companies like WOTC wanting to water down specifically western ideas in their ethics.

Tolkien would not be as compelling as he is without his ability to suffuse his world with light, as well as terrible darkness. So I'd say one thing missing from modern fantasy is a sense of good and evil at all, as people argue stuff is "just another way of life" or "made that way by circumstance". Whether you agree with that or not it makes for an uninteresting conflict when one outcome is as good as any other. I want terrible forces of chaos being battled by armies of light and hope because it's entertaining when done right.

Defeating nihilism, entropy, etc, surely carries significance for a living being.
People were discussing what is good and bad even before post modernism, even the post modern retardos have to make some rules about what is good and what is not (it seems contradicting themselves is not so important to them) because otherwise you might have to approve "rape culture" due to total moral subjectivism and that's bad 'mkay.

Conclusion, it has nothing to do with current culture shit, that thing is oversimplified and it cannot fullfill its role in more complex RPGs. It needs to be evolve, I think overall reputation systems are better than this.

Tygrende

Arbiter
I always liked alignment. Fuck your opinions on what *should* be chaotic or lawful, good or evil, these are objective, measurable forces and there isn't any arguing with them. These are merely the names by which we understand these forces, we did not invent them and they aren't byproducts of our imagination like moderntards think actual morality is.
What's the objectively correct solution to the trolley problem for each alignment?

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
I always liked alignment. Fuck your opinions on what *should* be chaotic or lawful, good or evil, these are objective, measurable forces and there isn't any arguing with them. These are merely the names by which we understand these forces, we did not invent them and they aren't byproducts of our imagination like moderntards think actual morality is.
What's the objectively correct solution to the trolley problem for each alignment?
Gonna venture a guess that CE's solution is something like this
DenshaDeD_ch01p16-17.png

Codex Year of the Donut
People who try to redefine what good is are simply upset upon realizing that they are fundamentally not a good person.

Poseidon00

Arcane
LG solution:

You're avoiding the question.

Your question is unworthy of an answer. Any fedorafag can Google a meme philosophy problem and make a brainless reference to it. Besides, most of them are easy. Chaotic Evil? Whatever the fuck they want. Chaotic Good? Whatever the fuck they want but they probably will try to save someone.

Objective or subjective morality isn't going to be solved by employing Trolley Problem questions to DnD alignments, and frankly, I think you're a retard for even trying to make a real life point with this.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The alignment system is about personality and motivation and not actual good and evil deeds, at least when properly utilized.

For example, a lawful evil character could be a knight who does good, but only for the adoration of the people so that he can abuse his authority in secret.

BFi7Icx.png

Or a True Neutral character could commit acts of unspeakable evil in order to bring balance.

:littlemissfun:

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
LG solution:

You're avoiding the question.

Your question is unworthy of an answer. Any fedorafag can Google a meme philosophy problem and make a brainless reference to it. Besides, most of them are easy. Chaotic Evil? Whatever the fuck they want. Chaotic Good? Whatever the fuck they want but they probably will try to save someone.

Objective or subjective morality isn't going to be solved by employing Trolley Problem questions to DnD alignments, and frankly, I think you're a retard for even trying to make a real life point with this.
man for someone who purports to be a fan of role-playing games you really don't have much of an imagination do you

Tygrende

Arbiter
Besides, most of them are easy. Chaotic Evil? Whatever the fuck they want. Chaotic Good? Whatever the fuck they want but they probably will try to save someone.
That's convenient. I like how CN of all aligments didn't make it to the "whatever the fuck they want" list.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The trolley problem is a utilitarian brainwashing mechanism and a false dichotomy. Your intervention is murder and playing God.

That said, I will answer it seriously:

Lawful Good: Chooses not to intervene, as killing an innocent is breaking the law, unless of course there is a law that states he must intervene for some reason.
Neutral Good: Sees himself as an author of good and the law as a suggestion. He will likely choose to redirect the train to kill fewer people, though may also choose to remain neutral, depending on his character and how much he values neutrality (or how high his wisdom stat is).
Chaotic Good: Will either do what neutral good did or kill the fat man.

Lawful Neutral: Same as Lawful Good, but will see the situation as nature taking its course.
True Neutral: Will either do nothing (remaining neutral), or else redirect it to the fewer number of people and then make sure an equal number from the other group die - depending on whether or not he's a balance fag.
Chaotic Neutral: Flips a coin.

Lawful Evil: Same as Lawful Good, but but out of either malice or a lack of valuing human life.
Neutral Evil: Probably saves them by killing the fat man so that he can claim to be a hero.
Chaotic Evil: Kills the fat man and then kills everyone else.

:M

Codex Year of the Donut
Trolley problem is fundamentally anti-roleplaying. It is the CYOA book of moral thought experiments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom