Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A suggestion one year later...

Whipporowill

Erudite
More content wouldn't be bad per se, but focusing on stuff that the staff (or current readers for most part) aren't interested in would be a misstake. The Codex going console for the sake of having news to post is thus higly unlikely...

As for some of the more avid and intelligent posters having left (for greener pastures, or simply just dropped out of the message board loops), it's probablye due to either lack of interesting discussion - or a certain "staleness" to the crpg-related discussions. Since there's no new games to praise/flame there's quite some regurgitation of old topics - "fallout fans this", "Biofans that". If Van Buren and Jefferson hadn't been cancelled, Bloodlines not having had to wait for HL2 - we would've probably been deep in discussion regarding these games, or their possible progeny.

Ortchel

Liturgist
I smell a troll, this guy posted almost exactly a year later (minus 5 days) with the same bull. Some of it word for word.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Exitium said:
undertaker said:
*snip bullshit*

Why are you posting under a proxy?

I suspect this is either the work of Vault Dweller or Sheriff05. I see that whoever you are, you seem need to create fake accounts to 'bolster' your argument because nobody else will. Pathetic. How convenient that Vault Dweller replied only a few moments after this post was made.

Are you fucking kidding me?
you egotistical little piece of shit, do you think I need to post under a peusdonym
to tell you how full of shit you are? Do you think I fucking care who agrees with me and who doesn't? I somehow need to *make shit up* to garner support for my arguments
I am not you, little man. get that straight.

I'll leave the browers open hopefully Undertaker will show up and you can see all three of us online at the same time.

Keep pushing this line of thinking and I'm sure more people will gladly join into ream your ass not that either VD or myself need any help.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The Exar said:
Do you think your (our) efforts are in vain? Do you think your (our) voice is heard of by the game devs? Haven`t the games become to comercial? Do the companies look for quick money, rather than quality?
I don't think that anyone gives a shit about our "efforts". As for the games and developers, even if the current trend continues, it will bring more indie games like Geneforge and Prelude to Darkness. One way or another, there will be good games to play.

The Exar

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
[
I don't think that anyone gives a shit about our "efforts". As for the games and developers, even if the current trend continues, it will bring more indie games like Geneforge and Prelude to Darkness. One way or another, there will be good games to play.
I dont think forums like this are just skipped by the devs. The forums are the best places to monitor the peoples requirements about games. I`m sure they see. But i`m not sure they realy care. Preharps you`re right.
And..there will be good games. patience:)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The Exar said:
I dont think forums like this are just skipped by the devs. The forums are the best places to monitor the peoples requirements about games.
I'm pretty sure that Bethesda is getting their feedback from their own forums and fans, those who made MW a GotY success, Bioware/Obsidian combo is doing the same, Troika has to do whatever publishers want them, and publishers don't give a damn about this forum and its denizens. I'm not sure what Saint's plans about this place were/are, but for me it's a place where a similarly minded people can talk about games they like and analyze them to death. Nothing more.

The Exar

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
The Exar said:
I dont think forums like this are just skipped by the devs. The forums are the best places to monitor the peoples requirements about games.
I'm pretty sure that Bethesda is getting their feedback from their own forums and fans, those who made MW a GotY success, Bioware/Obsidian combo is doing the same, Troika has to do whatever publishers want them, and publishers don't give a damn about this forum and its denizens. I'm not sure what Saint's plans about this place were/are, but for me it's a place where a similarly minded people can talk about games they like and analyze them to death. Nothing more.
Well, you seem to know better... But the people who post in this forum, surely post in devs forums. So, we can asume that RPGCodex has an indirect .... well Influence on the game developing. The site is a mirror of the best members the devs forums have.
My meaning, though...

The Exar

Liturgist
Whipporowill said:
A lot of devs come here, but as for what they take with them when leaving it's an entirely different matter. As of lately I'm not sure they're coming back... :lol:
You say we aren`t positive enough? :wink:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well rest assured I'm not going to spend any effort on this troll. At least VD and Sheriff's posts against me have a point, in that they're willing to back them up with what ever opinion they have about me. I can respect that, at least. I can't respect someone who makes 2 posts in a year, under a proxy, which serve no other point than to flame a regular.

Hahaha! I knew that you would say that because there is no way somebody else may think that Exitium is an idiot.Rolling Eyes What a jerk!

Edit: Also, Exitium, in case you didn't notice, I didn't jump at this opportunity to flame your stupid ass, but turned the discussion toward the quality of the site in general.
Meh, I think that if it's not too late, I'll withdraw my paranoia. It's obvious that whoever made this thread simply intended to troll and bait flames. Whoever it was, he failed.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Sheriff05 said:
Are you fucking kidding me?
I wasn't, at the time.

you egotistical little piece of shit,
Thanks.

do you think I need to post under a peusdonym o tell you how full of shit you are? Do you think I fucking care who agrees with me and who doesn't? I somehow need to *make shit up* to garner support for my arguments
I am not you, little man. get that straight.
Maybe. But it got you worked up, didn't it?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Deathy said:
A possible solution for the first problem could be to implement a minium post word count. 100 or so would probably be best.

That's something even more ironic in all of this. Last year, everyone was complaining about how various posters were making posts consisting of single lines. Now people are complaining about how posts on the forums are too long.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
You can't have a free and open forum and implace regulations on word count
yeah Exitium's ultra long winded and on post-overload of late
and yeah Volourn spams silliness everyday, but in reality unless you choose to chastise individuals
you really need to leave it up to personal responsibility, for better or worse.

Snuffles

Novice
Is undertaker a sockpuppet then? I could really admire a lurker so commited to the lurking cause that they post once a year.

Ortchel

Liturgist
I was in the woods the other day, and I saw a turtle.

No, really, I did.

Whipporowill

Erudite
"See the TURTLE of enormous girth!
On his shell he holds the earth.
His thought is slow but always kind;
He holds us all within his mind.
On his back all vows are made;
He sees the truth but mayn't aid.
He loves the land and loves the sea,
And even loves a child like me
."

Ortchel

Liturgist
Fear-the-Turtle-150x220.jpg

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Look, the fact of the matter is that as long as dissenting opinions are drowned out by the fucking over-the-top dogmatic rhetoric most of the mega-posters here subscribe to there won't be 'good discussion'.

I don't come here for good discussion, I come here to have fun flaming and getting flamed. As much of a twat as Exitium is, his ideas and viewpoints are refreshingly different from the predictable responses the rest of the cool kids here have.

If a game isn't true turn-based and isometric it's most likely going to get panned here in a transparently knee-jerk reaction.

In my opinion Rpgcodex.com is a hang out for people who hate change.

Personally, I don't see what the problem is in covering console RPGs, if only to point out how horribly dumbed down some of them are. But if you guys aren't going to cover them, fine, but as long as this site focuses on niche aspects of a broad genre and despises anything but a narrow featureset, expect to continue to have a niche audience.

I'm not saying that's bad, I like the Codex as it is plenty fine, but it's not somewhere that I come looking for opinions because most of the opinions here are shit. Sorry, but some of you will hate 'The Fall' and Oblivion on principle either because you are on some holy crusade or because it dares call itself an RPG while having real-time combat. THE HORROR>

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom