Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

About an hour in to System Shock 2, so far, not impressed

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date

Ash

Arcane
Bioshock clearly leaned more into the shooter realm, and every other area of gameplay was inferior in my opinion.

Nope, it sucks as a shooter too, as shooters are more than the act of a gun an its effects animating. Shooters (the actual good ones) are supposed to have gameplay concepts such as resource management, navigation, enemy placement, AI behaviour, challenge, risk vs reward, and more. Among these, Bioshock either doesn't have it or it's poor. Terrible shooter.

If you rank shooters by their gunplay only, even then Bioshock is a bit mediocre compared to its also awful contemporaries in mid-late 2000s

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Holy hell you're retarded. Every time I think maybe I should give this guy a chance and nope. Never again.
Nah, this is what retardation looks like.

I don't even know what was so ‘retarded’ about that anyway. What, is a Doom a bad game? Are Quake Combat Minus's games better to shoot with than Half-Life's? Not really. Are you butthurt about your distasteful modding ‘skills’ being criticized? Yes, absolutely.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
SS2 versus SS1 is a question of tension + atmosphere VS overall quality.
All of that favours SS1.

SS2 had better UI and controls in general and some light RPG elements, I suppose. Everything else was a decline.

It's like comparing Ridley Scott's Alien with Cameron's Aliens. The latter is more actiony and probably more fun for the masses but there's no doubt which one is more groundbreaking, smarter and artistically more valuable.

potatojohn

Arcane
As a shooter, it was very inferior to bioshock. I doubt anyone got it because they wanted to play a shooter, but its worth noting.
The shooting was the worst part of Bioshock, what the fuck are you talking about?
Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, but bioshock's shooting was better than system shock 2's shooting. At least bioshock had headshots. It didn't matter where you hit the enemies in system shock 2.

Like I said, neither is a shooter, but since both contain shooting it's worth commenting on.
system shock 2 enemies have distributed neurology, headshots don't really make sense

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom