Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ace Attorney Retrospective

lightbane

Arcane
I guess it's time to talk about the Spirit of Justice game. It was a long time coming, but last year was pure insanity and hell, and the current one isn't that much better. Now that the good Attorney games will be available officially in English, I suppose I no longer have an excuse to stall, so let's get to it:

The first case establishes the mood of not-Tibet, where everyone is zealot of their religion vaguely inspired in real ones, as well as how rigged, unfair and messy these magical visions are, as even a regular thug could confuse the priestess who's a typical tsundere and pretty princess cliché combined.
The second one is good despite having Apollo and the annoying yellow chick, and introduces the new prosecutor. He's certainly vile, arrogant, aggressive, DELIBERATELY hides information crucial to the case (and thus break the law, technically), and seemingly has off-screen teleport to be able to move around so fast. Some last-minute character growth is done to explain that nope, he's not a shameless asshole that immediately picked on a weak girl, but I don't like that guy so fuck him. Apollo happens to be so dull his past is messed with and retconned AGAIN to make him interesting, and still comes off as weird. The case itself is fun and not bad for an introductory case, compared to the ones of the previous game.

The next case, the one with rakugo, is shit and boring. Not much to explain, other than pretend Athena matters, and have her utterly destroyed by Shamandi, to the point that good old friend edgelord Blackquill steps in to do actual work for the case. Despite all of the work to discover the hidden personality inside that actor, it's all for naught and feels like a waste. The clown lookalike is obviously the murderer, big surprise.

The fourth case, introduces the plotdevice that only those with spiritual power can use that is not used much, if at all, as well as talking about the strangely peaceful revolution forces. Mostly peaceful, anyone? Either way, it's overdeveloped as usual, but it shows that mediums can indeed channel spirits of the opposite gender, temporarily altering their bodies, which becomes a plot-point, surprisingly.
The final case is LONG, practically two in one, with the first part having a memetic Russian army nerd, who of course turns out to be a little blonde girl who's crippled (OF COURSE!), and has you law-fighting against Phoenix Wright himself. As expected, he utterly dominates you by showing up evidence you didn't expect, momentarily making you feel what your prosecutors do. Sadly, it doesn't last long, and Apollo's growth is nullified since it turns out Phoenix was being blackmailed.
The second part of the final case is overtly long, dramatic, over-complicated, and wasted potential. The bratty princess is retconned to be the daughter of the revolutionary, because we couldn't have morality issues in a AA game. The queen literally rewriting the law was over-the-top, but is based in reality, since "freely interpreting the law" is pretty much what happens in shitholes like say Spain, Mexico, India, any mudslime region and so on. It ends up with the queen being dethroned, Apollo being shown as if he was to replace Wright... Then quickly backpedaling to assist this not-Tibet region, conveniently putting him far away enough so that he doesn't have to show up in the next game if necessary. Athena funnily enough unintentionally shows off her irrelevancy by pretty much yelling that she won't have much to do without Apollo around.
Then Wright returns to his cold, manipulative persona of the 4th game right at the last minute of the game.
Overall, better than the previous title, but weaker than the Great Attorney game.

I still have to play the crossover with the puzzle-obsessed guy game, or the Edgeworth titles, but hopefully they'll be right.
As for the sequel of the Great Attorney, it seemed quite good, but I have no idea if the English translation will butcher the script or not. For legal reasons Sherlock Holmes is intentionally misswritten, which is stupid.

WallaceChambers

Learned
Shouldn't Sherlock Holmes be Public Domain nowadays?
Or did some lawyers here also successfully used the "Mickey Mouse" strategy?

The way I understand it is that the last few books still aren't so any characters featured in them are off limits in America.

I still have to play the crossover with the puzzle-obsessed guy game, or the Edgeworth titles, but hopefully they'll be right.
As for the sequel of the Great Attorney, it seemed quite good, but I have no idea if the English translation will butcher the script or not. For legal reasons Sherlock Holmes is intentionally misswritten, which is stupid.

Ace Investigations 1 is a solid entry into the series that introduced some good new mechanics and characters. Ace Investigations 2 is one of the best entries into the series overall and a personal favorite adventure game of mine, in general. Adds even more mechanics, the characters are some of the funniest and I think it nails the overarching theme in a way that the first kind of flubbed.

I didn't play the Layton crossover, but yeah, the Edgeworth games are a lot of fun.

Neuromancer

Augur

The way I understand it is that the last few books still aren't so any characters featured in them are off limits in America.
I understand that newer written books might have a copyright.
But then to conclude that also the original character stays in copyright is somewhat retarded imho. But law and logic are sometimes mutually exclusive...

At least in America they seem to have toppled this decision, though:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...cially-copyright-and-open-business-180951794/

V_K

Arcane

deuxhero

Arcane
I think the biggest weakness of AA4 nobody points out is the serious drought of non-essential text. Virtually nothing you show people gets a response if it isn't mandatory. I don't recall examining stuff being much more fruitful. This is a big contributor to the characters being as shallow as they are.

Whether or not the indicted gets a guilty verdict in their own respective trials is something players are never informed of, nor do we even know who in the hell will defend people proven guilty by you. Your job is to prove beyond doubt that your client did not kill the victim, and hurling a valid accusation at someone else seems to be the easiest way to do so, right? Otherwise, you’re bound to lose by default. In AA games, having a shit attorney is a death wish. Courts are biased, prosecution is near almighty, evidence gets submitted willy-nilly.

You actually learn about a few in later games. The guy from the very first case is seen in jail, while Von Karma is mentioned to have been executed.

For legal reasons Sherlock Holmes is intentionally misswritten, which is stupid.
Still a classic literature character
Arsene_Lupin.jpg

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Ace Investigations 1 is a solid entry into the series that introduced some good new mechanics and characters. Ace Investigations 2 is one of the best entries into the series overall and a personal favorite adventure game of mine, in general. Adds even more mechanics, the characters are some of the funniest and I think it nails the overarching theme in a way that the first kind of flubbed.

I didn't play the Layton crossover, but yeah, the Edgeworth games are a lot of fun.
i thought investigations 1 was kinda weak. 2 is hecking awesome as a whole but that gregory chapter just shines brilliantly

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I've finally beaten Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve, and I must say I did not like it as much as the prequel, chiefly because of its heavy-handed desire to leave absolutely no mysteries unresolved, but also to have them all be explained through an extremely limited cast of characters, making the resolution contrived at best. Two games in a row the final case proves to be the least appealing one, now that's not unfortunate anymore - despite his other fine qualities, Takumi can't write an elegant ending at all. Technologically, I maintain my stance that the two GAAs are a far more impressive (and fun) direction to take than what Duel Destinies did. Absolutely gorgeous art direction and music. The translation isn't starkly bad either (I played GAA1 by Scarlet Study and GAA2 by Capcom's inhouse).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom