Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Achievement Unlocked: Get With All The Girls

MetalCraze

Arcane
RK47 said:
For what it is, AP looks fine
Stinking shit also looks fine for what it is. Stop using that excuse for bad games, it is getting old.

The 'your weapon is choice' trailer is a pretty good sample of what to expect of the game.

Exactly. It shows nothing but poor man's exploshuns, bad animations and sloooow console shooting. I think we need to take "Your weapon is choice" literally, like St. Toxic pointed out. I still fail to see any kind of RPG there though.

does not sound like totally overblown hype, unlike TES,DA or Fable 2 marketing.
And? The hype is still pretty stupid. They are marketing third-person shooter with useless stats, 1-word long dialogue lines and 100% rewarding options as a RPG thus further contributing to the genre decline. Bagging all chicks and "this game is for 15 years olds" is very Biowarian btw you know. Not mentioning that line in earlier previews about how Obsidian is good at making RPGs, whereas not a single one of their games has even a good design. Obsidian is no better than any other wannabeRPG maker, they just don't have money on crazier hype.

Hümmelgümpf said:
NWN 2 - some of the side quests you get in Act 3 depend on whether you joined the City Watch or the Shadow Thieves.
Like which quests?

KotOR 2 - whether you get Mira or Hanharr as one of your party members depends on your actions on Nar Shaddaa.
Yes you get one bland NPC or a blander NPC. Which absolutely changes nothing in the game besides having a different NPC and a bunch of useless dialogues. That is considered a good C&C now?
And those are all examples? How biowarian.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
Like which quests?
Axle/Moire feud is exclusive to Shadow Thieves.
Yes you get one bland NPC or a blander NPC. Which absolutely changes nothing in the game besides having a different NPC and a bunch of useless dialogues. That is considered a good C&C now?
What a dumbfuck. Neither Mira, nor Hanharr are bland. Hanharr in particular turns the retarded concept of wookie life debt into something absolutely magnificent.

MetalCraze said:
RK47 said:
KotOR 2 - whether you get Mira or Hanharr as one of your party members depends on your actions on Nar Shaddaa.
And those are all examples? How biowarian.

Uh....yes, in a party-based RPG, making you choose between two very different party members, with different story importance and different playstyles, opening up different quests, is a good C&C and always has been.

Especially when one involves a wookie that gets stronger the more you treat him like shit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hümmelgümpf said:
Axle/Moire feud is exclusive to Shadow Thieves.
And? One quest. That doesn't affect anything in the game. Guards/Thieves quest-lines are too pretty "exclusive" but they always end the same. All of it existed even in Bioware's games. Sure additional content is always nice but what about consequences, not consequence?

What a dumbfuck. Neither Mira, nor Hanharr are bland.
If you like bland that is. Mira is like one of the worst characters there - a token bounty hunter with a personality that starts and ends with "I don't kill my targets I just bring them to justice". It's like Obsidian decided to fill the gap in characters number with something quick. Much like with Bao-Dur - but even he had some part in the story at first.

Hanharr in particular turns the retarded concept of wookie life debt into something absolutely magnificent.
Seriously? I thought you already came past that age where absurdist "you saved my life - my god this life debt makes me your slave I must kill you" doesn't impress anymore. And besides that Hanharr has nothing.

Azrael the cat said:
Uh....yes, in a party-based RPG, making you choose between two very different party members, with different story importance and different playstyles, opening up different quests, is a good C&C and always has been.
Too bad KotOR2 has none of that. Different playstyles sound also pretty lol, because in the storyline it is always about your choice and the combat is still that "start fighting and forget" because no matter who you take the combat is so easy that you always win. Do not forget that besides that your party members are totally forced on you which also doesn't help.

Especially when one involves a wookie that gets stronger the more you treat him like shit.
It isn't anything new. Even Bioware had it.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
And? One quest. That doesn't affect anything in the game. Guards/Thieves quest-lines are too pretty "exclusive" but they always end the same. All of it existed even in Bioware's games. Sure additional content is always nice but what about consequences, not consequence?
You said NWN2 had no C&C. I proved you wrong. True, it's not much, but Obsidian didn't hype reactivity during the development of NWN2.
If you like bland that is.
Says GTA IV lover. "Nico, my cousin! Wanna see some fine American titties?"
Mira is like one of the worst characters there - a token bounty hunter with a personality that starts and ends with "I don't kill my targets I just bring them to justice".
She's not particularly original, I agree, but her dialogue is well-written and her relationship with Hanharr was fun to follow. Anyway, weren't we arguing about C&C? KotOR 2 does have 'em, so you're full of shit. Again.
It's like Obsidian decided to fill the gap in characters number with something quick. Much like with Bao-Dur - but even he had some part in the story at first.
Bao-Dur is one of the best characters in KotOR2, he's my favorite right after T3. I guess he should've talked more about fine twi'lek titties for you to like him.
Seriously? I thought you already came past that age where absurdist "you saved my life - my god this life debt makes me your slave I must kill you" doesn't impress anymore.
Show me another video game that did something similiar.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

i d love the concept of a real spy RPG. a game where stealth would be a key element (as it should be in a SPY rpg ), i.e. face more than 1 alert enemy and you are most likely toast / the mission is a failure. your stats/abilties wouldnt be about combat at all but use of gadgets, hacking and of course different "social" skills etc. heck, the game could/should have only a silenced pistol as a weapon for emergencies.

Alpha Protocol doesnt sound like that though. Baseballcap-wearing spy with automatic weapons, yay.

dont get me wrong, i guess there will be quite a few paths to avoid combat in AP - but it ll probably boil down to 1000 guys shot as a pure combat walkthrough vs 500 guys shot as a stealthy walkthrough.

not interested, hope its out soon just that there may be some infos about whether its worth getting excited over the aliens RPG and FO:New Vegas.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hümmelgümpf said:
You said NWN2 had no C&C. I proved you wrong. True, it's not much, but Obsidian didn't hype reactivity during the development of NWN2.
No you didn't. One more linear quest is not C&C.

Says GTA IV lover. "Nico, my cousin! Wanna see some fine American titties?"
Who me? And you say that I bullshit? I've bashed GTA4 for being worse than GTA VC and SA with only GTA3 being worse than it and also how the game basically forces you to spend time with boring NPCs. Just because I've said that GTA4 was the only game worth of playthrough in 2008 doesn't mean I love it - it only means that 2008 was a very bad year.

She's not particularly original, I agree, but her dialogue is well-written and her relationship with Hanharr was fun to follow.
No it wasn't. Mira's dialogue simply wasn't your traditional Bioware whiny bitch and her story with Hanharr wasn't fun to follow because it was basically a bunch of encounters where Hanharr wanted to kill her and she constantly told him that he doesn't owe her anything without any progression. A typical filler.

Anyway, weren't we arguing about C&C? KotOR 2 does have 'em, so you're full of shit. Again.
Yes it was 1 poor example with filler characters and the game is still as linear as a plank. So Mass Effect has C&C too then?
Actually your examples only prove that AP will have as much C&C - 1-2 unimportant things per game that don't punish the player, only reward and have no impact on the storyline.

Bao-Dur is one of the best characters in KotOR2, he's my favorite right after T3. I guess he should've talked more about fine twi'lek titties for you to like him.
Well that actually explains many things. Bao-Dur which basically shuts up as soon as you make a lightsaber and T3 which is a cheap clone of R2D2 - a beeping metal can with a personality of a shoe. You have a very good taste sir.

Show me another video game that did something similiar.
I can't. Thankfully.
Do you like jrpgs?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
No you didn't. One more linear quest is not C&C.
You do one thing, you get the quest. You do another thing, you don't get the quest. It's C&C. NWN2 is not a non-linearity HEAVAN, but it has C&C.
Who me? And you say that I bullshit? I've bashed GTA4 for being worse than GTA VC and SA with only GTA3 being worse than it and also how the game basically forces you to spend time with boring NPCs. Just because I've said that GTA4 was the only game worth of playthrough in 2008 doesn't mean I love it - it only means that 2008 was a very bad year.
I guess I couldn't hear your bashing over your orgasmic cries of "HOLY SHIT! LATER MISSIONS ARE LIKE A HOLLYWOOD ACTION MOVIE! EXPLOSIONS ARE PRETTY!".
No it wasn't. Mira's dialogue simply wasn't your traditional Bioware whiny bitch and her story with Hanharr wasn't fun to follow because it was basically a bunch of encounters where Hanharr wanted to kill her and she constantly told him that he doesn't owe her anything without any progression. A typical filler.
Too bad you didn't like it.
Yes it was 1 poor example with filler characters and the game is still as linear as a plank. So Mass Effect has C&C too then?
It most certainly does. More than NWN2, in fact. Go read the thread Volourn made when the 360 version was first released. I recall he gives a couple of examples there for your reading pleasure.
Actually your examples only prove that AP will have as much C&C - 1-2 unimportant things per game that don't punish the player, only reward and have no impact on the storyline.
I don't get it. Even if you're not bullshitting about NWN 2 and KotOR 2 not having any C&C - which you are - the quoted sentence just plain doesn't make any sense. Two games by Obsidian don't have C&C, ergo all games by Obsidian don't have C&C. MotB must be a mirage then. Unless you're willing to claim that it doesn't have any C&C as well. Go ahead and try.
Well that actually explains many things. Bao-Dur which basically shuts up as soon as you make a lightsaber
Nope. He has some dialogue if you actually take him outside of the Ebon Hawk, and he gives some exposition if you get your influence with him high/low enough. If my memory isn't deceiving me, his low influence dialogue in particular even explains one of the so-called "plot holes" KotOR 2 has. More C&C, BTW.
and T3 which is a cheap clone of R2D2 - a beeping metal can with a personality of a shoe.
I'm talking about KotOR 2, not KotOR. T3 does have a personality in the sequel. Yet more bullshit from you.
I can't. Thankfully.
Then shut up.
Do you like jrpgs?
Some of them. By the way, your old Anachronox avatar was pretty cool.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Skyway: Seriously? I thought you already came past that age where absurdist "you saved my life - my god this life debt makes me your slave I must kill you" doesn't impress anymore.

Lestat: Show me another video game that did something similiar.

Skyway: I can't. Thankfully.

Lestat: Then shut up.

This is the key to understanding Alpha Protocol discussions.

Dionysus

Scholar
Hümmelgümpf said:
Obsidian has never lied during a PR campaign before. If they keep saying and saying that the game is full of C&C, why shouldn't I trust them?
They are mostly touting choices, and you are hyping the consequences.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hümmelgümpf said:
I don't get it. Even if you're not bullshitting about NWN 2 and KotOR 2 not having any C&C - which you are - the quoted sentence just plain doesn't make any sense. Two games by Obsidian don't have C&C, ergo all games by Obsidian don't have C&C. MotB must be a mirage then. Unless you're willing to claim that it doesn't have any C&C as well. Go ahead and try.
3 games. 3 games - KotOR2, NWN2 and SoZ. MotB had noticeable CnC that went beyond having one more linear quest. But compared to RPGs of the yore where whole towns could go on your ass and at times you had to look for another way to continue the game because you've messed something up its CnC were still not on a par. But that's one PC-exclusive addon against a game marketed towards consoletards with developers specifically saying that every choice will be rewarding meaning exactly that - you can't mess up things. And another three extremely linear games with only cosmetic CnC.
Nope. He has some dialogue if you actually take him outside of the Ebon Hawk, and he gives some exposition if you get your influence with him high/low enough. If my memory isn't deceiving me, his low influence dialogue in particular even explains one of the so-called "plot holes" KotOR 2 has. More C&C, BTW.
If you call this - C&C then C&C is like a new bloom, applied to every cosmetic shit.
Did you know that Half-Life 2 had C&C too? If at Black Mesa East you will stand near newspapers on the wall Eli will explain to you so called "plot holes" HL2 has. Next stop - HL2 is obviously a RPG too.
I'm talking about KotOR 2, not KotOR. T3 does have a personality in the sequel. Yet more bullshit from you.
If you call giving you additional parts of the plot for sucking up to him - personality, then Bioware characters have the deepest personalities you will ever encounter in a game.

Then shut up.
Nice argument - but just because Failout3 has rock-it launcher and other games don't doesn't mean this original innovative idea isn't stupid.
Oh and btw - if you will treat Viconia in BG2 like shit she'll like you more. Too bad DnD2 didn't allow special abilities.

Obsidian has never lied during a PR campaign before. If they keep saying and saying that the game is full of C&C, why shouldn't I trust them?
Missed it somehow.
You do remember that they call Alpha Protocol - a RPG? And then say that stats influence nothing, there are no dialogue stats, you grind hordes of enemies right at level 1, the gameplay looks exactly like Gears of War etc. Never lied oh yes.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Dionysus said:
They are mostly touting choices, and you are hyping the consequences.
No. The story is supposed to branch depending on your choices and the impression they make on other characters.

MetalCraze said:
Look, we're going in circles.
Me: Obsidian writes good NPCs.
You: Obsidian writes bad NPCs.
Me: KotOR 2 and NWN 2 had C&C.
You: KotOR 2 and NWN 2 did not have enough C&C.

Let's leave at this for now, and wait until the game (or a trailer showcasing C&C) is released, OK?

Vibalist

Arcane
Pliskin said:
This means so much coming from you. Any other words of wisdom, or did that exhaust yr reserves of witty reparte for the evening?

Do I need wittiness when you do such a good job of making a fool of yourself?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
He'll still torrent it. No worries.

denizsi

Arcane
Obsidian has never lied during a PR campaign before.

No, of course not. Instead, they simply twist words and terms to include inane stuff to misleading proportions, so technically they don't have to resort to lies. Or at the very least, that was what they were likely to do with Aliens RPG.

That said, NWN2 is the only Obsidian game that I read about as the news, interviews etc. came up before it was released, and other than certain issues (combat animations, camera, some bugs, etc.), I don't remember anything wrong between the pre-release information and the released game, though I didn't play NWN2 beyond the first half of it. Just to give credit where it's due. The game is pretty much what pre-release information made me expect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom