Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Advice for trying out some older RPG's

Cael

Arcane
Death Knights of Krynn on PC-98 looks pretty fucking hot (Pool of Radiance and Curse of AB look like ass though):
https://www.mobygames.com/game/pc98/death-knights-of-krynn/screenshots
Da heck? They turned the half-skeletal Sir Karl into... just an old man with a camera eye. They turned the otherworldly Maya into an old woman. And they put a whacking big desert in the middle of Solamnia.

tenor.gif

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
I've tried some older RPGs but it seems to me they don't work that good on modern machines!
If I was alive and kickin' in the 80's I sure would play them.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I've tried some older RPGs but it seems to me they don't work that good on modern machines!
I know you're trolling but that those DOS games, that you would sometimes hesitate to buy because there was a chance you would get a "not enough conventional memory" error or whatever, are a piece of cake to play via DOSBox these days and, moreover, with no loading time, is actually one more reason to play those, now.

xuerebx

Erudite
I know you're trolling but that those DOS games, that you would sometimes hesitate to buy because there was a chance you would get a "not enough conventional memory" error or whatever, are a piece of cake to play via DOSBox these days and, moreover, with no loading time, is actually one more reason to play those, now.

Yep. I've been playing MMIII on a new laptop, windows 10 64-bit etc and there have been no issues what so ever. Non-existent loading times too - just a small pause maybe 3 seconds when you press the load button. Launching from GOG galaxy and starting to move in the game takes 17 seconds in total (I've just checked), and this is because the intro credits cannot be skipped immediately.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
You sure your net didn't just screw it up at one point? Checking two parts of it doesn't seem to have any obvious points of failure. I'm not checking anymore at the moment, because that's a shitton of data.
Yeah, a ton of data. I might try again. When i combine them i only can access the first 4-6 games in there. Rest is corrupt. Its annoying, thats for sure. 23 sections of 4 gigs ZOIKS. I wish it was done by game publisher in zips like that pc-98 one i found. Shit, i'd even take game by game tbh.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Early Windows games not STEAM or GOG-ified are a pain. My biggest lament is purchasing mordor:depths of dejenol through GamersGate. It won't let me just download the program but runs it. Can't install that to win10. Maybe i csn get dosbox up and run an installed winxp or 98 then hook up through the net but fuck.

Maybe I'll just buy a physical copy. Going through GamersGate for latest Ascension (which is basically beefy mordor) worked though. It has some town glitches i haven't figured out yet but it works. I just love nostalgia and can play the absolute "worst" by some peoples standards.

I still would love to see remakes/remasters of some games as well as a game that has every platform rolled into the game. I think Bardstale Trilogy missed out on that and more. A fast speed c64/apple/ etc to mess with? Why the heck not? At the very least a suped up BTCS for modding. After reading the MMX detail needing to buy $1500 unity program I was like WTF?!?!

oh well. Search/Dungeons of Magdarr and Dungeons if Death needs a remake. That password system.... fuck!

stoaga.PNG

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
You sure your net didn't just screw it up at one point? Checking two parts of it doesn't seem to have any obvious points of failure. I'm not checking anymore at the moment, because that's a shitton of data.
Yeah, a ton of data. I might try again. When i combine them i only can access the first 4-6 games in there. Rest is corrupt. Its annoying, thats for sure. 23 sections of 4 gigs ZOIKS. I wish it was done by game publisher in zips like that pc-98 one i found. Shit, i'd even take game by game tbh.
Shit, you're right. I can look inside it just fine, but whenever I try to extract it, whoops, not a zip. The individual discs package you had in your post seems to be good though. And I'm pretty sure they both have the same amount of games.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Well, one is pc98 and the other is FM-Towns. I might try the torrent way. I hate fucking with torrents. I was hoping https://the-eye.eu/ had it with individual files. (Shrug)

i have issues with various rom dump sites (either gone, erased or fucked up)

more pc98
https://the-eye.eu/public/Games/PC98/pc98/

this says a redump but its missing a lot
https://archive.org/download/redump.fmt

I am gonna look into my collection tomorrow.I have a combination of Russian torrents/archive and am gonna see which version has no issues and is more complete.
But i don't think anybody has the complete fm collection.

As for pc 98 the neokobe one is as best as you can hope for,the only thing left are the various fan games which are impossible to fully collect.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I guess there should be a spreadsheet made in my spare time. Tracking down manuals, extras, osts, trailers, box art etc is time consuming as well. And of course there are walkthroughs, cheats, trainers, mods. I just recently noticed Rayman has a pretty awesome community. I guess if there was a Bubsy and Earthworm jim community like that then maybe those games would get more notice (I know.. everyone hates Bubsy.. cept me).

Rayman Redemption

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I guess there should be a spreadsheet made in my spare time. Tracking down manuals, extras, osts, trailers, box art etc is time consuming as well. And of course there are walkthroughs, cheats, trainers, mods. I just recently noticed Rayman has a pretty awesome community. I guess if there was a Bubsy and Earthworm jim community like that then maybe those games would get more notice (I know.. everyone hates Bubsy.. cept me).

Rayman Redemption
I'm admittedly not to concerned about old box art, but doesn't Moby have most stuff? Is there something they're missing?
Also, for most of that [western released] stuff, there's this: http://www.oldgamesfinder.com/

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
As I open up zips i see names and the files but tbh... absolutely no idea what game/program they are. So, search by search for those names translated. Totally ?.? ???

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom