Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence December Update

Melcar

Arcane
All that will be DLC.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
... but January 19th isn't on a Thursday?! VD, the real release will be on a Thursday, right?
19 January is for the Steam Update while 22 Juanary is for the true Agents of Decadence who support ITS at its roots assuming it's when the BMT will be updated

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You said the beta was for the 3 places (Ganezzar, Al-Akia, and the hangar), but technically it's for the city as that's where all the permutations are. Does that mean that Al-Akia and the hangar are all in Ganezzar just at a different time, or perhaps they're buried at different levels under it?

But really, though, you mentioned that we can just let the past remain buried. So, I take it that the religious people in Ganezzar aren't going to achieve anything in regards to the gods unless you actively go do the optional mission at the end.

Also, you tell us that Al-Akia is the real deal, as are the gods, and that I can do something to them. In a game like AoD, it wouldn't surprise me if Al-Akia was nothing more than dust and there's nothing to be done there.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
You said the beta was for the 3 places (Ganezzar, Al-Akia, and the hangar), but technically it's for the city as that's where all the permutations are. Does that mean that Al-Akia and the hangar are all in Ganezzar just at a different time, or perhaps they're buried at different levels under it?
No. They are separate locations to be explored (sort of like Zamedi vs Maadoran). I meant that the reason we'll be releasing as a beta is because of all the permutations in the city (7 parallel questlines, with different entry points (siege/no siege, Maadoran destroyed or not, House Aurelian destroyed or not, Ordu recruited or not, etc), different options within each questlines, options to jump from one questline to another, etc - it's nearly impossible to test it all internally to make sure that everything is working as supposed). Other locations have a fixed point of entry and a single objective with multiple solutions which makes it very easy to run through and test.

But really, though, you mentioned that we can just let the past remain buried. So, I take it that the religious people in Ganezzar aren't going to achieve anything in regards to the gods unless you actively go do the optional mission at the end.
That I did not say because it's not true. The temple is just a piece of the puzzle, one of many, not the answer to every prayer. It's fairly important but not critical. What the good people of Ganezzar need to achieve their religious aspirations is

Al-Akia

It can also be blown up as part of the "let's leave the past in the past" program. Overall, there are a LOT of options in Ganezzar and Al-Akia, so you won't be disappointed.

Also, you tell us that Al-Akia is the real deal, as are the gods, and that I can do something to them. In a game like AoD, it wouldn't surprise me if Al-Akia was nothing more than dust and there's nothing to be done there.
It's a bit more than dust.

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No, I already read a good number of spoilers elsewhere and saw pictures of some of the power armour stuff, so at this point I'm just going to stay away until after I play the next release. I didn't even know there was a spaceship until I started this whole spoiler mess, although to be fair it led me to try harder at Teron to break into the palace and I found some new content.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer

That's what I mean, I read about it rather than learnt it in game. It's not really a storyline spoiler so much as something cool, but for now I'm holding out until January before I click any spoiler buttons. I learnt about the guy with mind control powers etc, too, the same way. A lot of it is cool stuff and doesn't ruin the story itself, so it's not a bad spoiler necessarily, but I need to preserve some surprise. A lot of Maadoran was completely new to me, so I was very impressed by the Abyss, the thing on the other side of the portal, the demons, etc.

kaizoku

Arcane
Flying ships are an ancient staple of the computer role-playing game genre, so finding one in a classical-themed RPG is both witty and apropos.

Although as suggested earlier in the the thread, the airship is conventionally associated with the Final Fantasy franchise, it has likely been with the CRPG since its inception. Earlier examples have indeed been found, and a framework linking the presence (and absence) of skytravel to classical deities has been formulated to describe the twin birth of the RPG and the zeppelin-alike. In this schema, the material is opposed to the abstract, with Hermetic RPGs being vague, airy, mechanically insincere, and spectacular. Final Fantasy is the perfect example of this. Hephaestan RPGs in contrast are dense, highly formulated, and granular. Many of the preferred RPGs here at the Codex fit the latter. But how does this apply to the continuance of the airship phenomenon itself? And how can this distinction be applied or subverted by new RPGs, now that it has been formulated?

Style and characterization of the airship(s) included has arguably become a central method by which RPGs contend with another. The contemporary ARPG Bastion riffed on this convention by choosing an airship comme city as the staging location of the game. Handing the player the ability to call new locations literally out of thin air, or brutally drop whole city blocks to earth in the finale was the linchpin of its commentary on this persistent emblem of the RPG. By contrast, a recent Early-Access success, Underrail shuns the airship as contemptible, shrouding it in the derision of a purely subterranean realm. The cackling negation of the latter is a method of enlivening the a-Hermetic RPG's habitual gloom. In contrast, the majesty and pomp of color that drains shadows of any substance is the promise of RPGs like Bastion.

The banter of absence and presence, of unmatter and matter, of the earth's revolt against the sky defines the unique collusion of sky vehicles and the RPG. Age of Decadence's utility of the airship cannot be mistaken for other than delicate.

Section8 ?
LS ?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
So who did the Russian translation?
It was a community effort. Out of several translations projects (French, Spanish, Turkish, Polish, Italian, Romanian), it was the only project that hit both "milestones" (the demo and now the EA version). Can't help but admire their willpower and dedication.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I PLAYED THE FUCKING DEOM SO MUCH LOLLOLOOLOL MY EX WIFE LEFT ME THAT WEEK LOLLOLLOL

WAITING TILL THE FULL THING IS DONE BRO LOOKING FORWARD TO IT

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom