Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence Demo Released

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Is HDR working?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Played a little with a inteligence / perception/ agility bro, led to some very interesting bits. Overall it feels like a mix of Arcanum and a "Choose your Adventure Book", very nice. Can't say I have expericenced combat, mostly just death, but I liked that, my bro is not AWESHUM Hawke/Shepard, he is a weak fighter and deserves dying in combat, especially when being ambushed by 3 thugs in a house or attacking a well-armed caravan. And the death text was spot on too, I felt like a retard after reading a description of how retarded I was. :lol:

And the guard captain for the noble dude had some very good lines. After the "I have an eye for talent, so I'm gonna give you a shitty job", even if he asked me to slay rats in a basement It would be justified. :roll:

hiver

Win7 x64
Radeon4850 working very fine at 1400x900. Fonts and everything crispy as crispen.
Playing a merchant.

just small stuff:

Just had a few failed streetwise and persuasion checks. Its not a "win button" at all.
Talk with Miltiades tricked me a bit because it seemed my streetwise worked but there is no clear benefit. The response i get from success (if it is success) is neutral and a bit unclear.
A smaller matter but maybe worth adjusting a bit. - but i liked that small encounter very much.

The i tried getting into Daratan compound, managed but failed the interview with the captain in a wrong way. - that was cool. excellent dialogue there :)
Thing is, when combat starts the camera snaps right behind the walls and i end up looking straight at the outside bricks. Instead of camera positioning directly above us.

Again, its unclear from the start that im in Teron and local and world map dont show the name of the city im in. Nor they show where am i in the local map which would be handy.
It could have been said once somewhere at the very beginning but skipped forward too quickly.
The world map shows all names of the cities but not in which one i am.

It can be figured out yes, but... some sort of "Youre here" indicator or making it more clear in intro?

-death text are cool :)

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
The game randomly crashed on me while loading (note to self: randomly checking out houses isn't a good idea even if you're a tough mercenary motherfucker) and now it says that it can't enable direct draw - wtf

the camera could be improved, but after the nightmare that was NWN2 this one is a walk in the park. my only suggestion is to make a two-three sentence opening texts for each vignette: for example, for mercenary, describing in short how he came to be a bouncer at the inn.

the good things:
graphics
setting
combat
writing (the scene with a thug and a damsel in distress where you can say "fuck off" to get rid of him is magnificent)
the music oh god the music

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
couldn't play too much but I hope that the teleporting from place to place at the start is just a vignette thing.
Also encountered a bug after accepting the quest for the guy collecting money and ambushed by two thugs outside.
In the combat I've crippled one of them with a combination of aim arms and legs and a crutch icon appeared above the thug's head
and it stayed there after the end of the combat.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Talk with Miltiades tricked me a bit because it seemed my streetwise worked but there is no clear benefit. The response i get from success (if it is success) is neutral and a bit unclear.
It warned you that you were about to get raped, but gave you a chance to go anyway and see what develops. The ambush is not the end of this 'quest'.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
first thing that really got me is the detail level... sheeesh everywhere i look there is something to see... the world ( city ) looks great :D

now, under WINE it crashes if it tries to get more video memory, my guess is that because Torque can't determine my amount of video RAM ( although it's defined in the registry so WINE should advertise it or something ) once it gets over a certain amount things break down, I've seen it crash while using ~450Mb ( that's including the 70Mb or so X uses ): http://pastebin.com/atRca9hb

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can't find the option to turn Bloom on in the menu, can you help me? Also, how do I switch to realtime combat?

hiver

Thats what i meant - it didnt warn me ill get raped.
First there is no streetwise success being shown (minor thing) then he basically says its tough world out there and man sometimes has to do less savory things to make a buck and that everyone does it.
- which is actually true.
So its not really a warning. Or doesnt come off like it.

But im not complaining. I like it that way too. In a sense that it makes or teaches the player to think for himself in a way. Only the learning comes through reload not from his words or success in streetwise.
Im just mentioning it for your consideration since it doesnt appear its in sync with other stuff like it.
But i played very little so far so i may be wrong.

Ay... maybe a bit too much teleporting at the start of the game. It could be better to introduce it slowly or give an option to the player of choosing between 1. walk there and 2. go there immediately.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It tells you that something isn't what it seems, which is as far as we wanted to go. Obviously, an ambush isn't the only possibility, but it's definitely a possibility, once you start wondering about the deal and why he wants you to come with him.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fuuuck I am in a shitty apartment with a shitty net plan, will need to live the AoD demo goodness through you bro's . :cry:

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Awww, a Pixel Shader requirement has been added since the combat demo.... BOOO!!!!

After a few hours of playing:

- the deeper the game sucks you in, the more of a pain the small font becomes
- the camera controls don't get any better as you go along, either (holding down the middle mouse button to rotate the view angle while having both the WSAD keys and cursor to the edge of the screen move the camera is very counter-intuitive; can I please remap this somewhere?)
- the cursor feels to me a bit too big, clumsy and more like an in-game object than a GUI element (the GUI itself is excellent and it would be nice to have a cursor in the same style)

Now excuse me while I'm off to play some more.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Very good VD, though some of the grammar and the swearing in the game and death screens is a bit out of place: "you wanted to show he couldn't pull this shit" etc...what is this nigga talk in a Romanesque setting?

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Too bad it's making the girlfriend's CPU fan go nuts and she's complaining but hey! The 30 minutes I've played was great! Nice work! Diplomatic merchant character for the :incline:.

My only gripe is automatically teleporting to the quest location/NPC sometimes. Quest compasses? The thing of the past! Now you insta-fast-travel to the next segment of the quest! ;)

UnknownBro

Savant
I liked the setting, it's great but the camera is shit and please, please, keep all the npc and pc dialogs in the same window.

hiver

It tells you that something isn't what it seems, which is as far as we wanted to go. Obviously, an ambush isn't the only possibility, but it's definitely a possibility, once you start wondering about the deal and why he wants you to come with him.
I get that, but it doesnt come off as anything specially suspicious, which success in streetwise should alert you to? It doesnt need to be more direct but considering his story that he is in trouble with commercium and he cant sell "legally" the explanation you get just seems to confirm this.
If i noticed something off with my streetwise then it should be a but more fishy.... i think.

Also, just talked the first talk to Feng with my merchant. I get more info with the drifter who just pays Feng. He gets the story about the ruby, merchant doesnt, even if merchant uses streetwise to get the lower price on the map "divination". He does get the ruby but nothing about it from Feng.
Also i can get more money from Feng even if i fail persuasion check to talk him into paying much more for getting rid of other loremaster that just arrived.
I get 60 instead of full amount i could if i succeeded, but still more, even though i failed... which is nice i guess. I kinda understand it as him getting my words but not to full extent.

Merchant also doesnt get one word about being in Teron at all. In Drifter vignette it is mentioned once at the very start.
Could be useful to embellish that a little bit for new players. Just adding one more text about it when you wake up in the room in the inn, a text only about coming to or being in Teron that you have to "continue" to get to the part we see now would work fine.

Also, when i start with the drifter, after clearing the room of vignette i can choose to sleep and go directly to Feng or just sleep and wake up in the inn. Since you then meat the Storyteller - which you dont if you choose going straight to Feng, unless you return to the inn, later...
It would be a little better if that option was something like : "Sleep in the inn and see who else is there in the morning" - so that new players get a sense that there might be someone interesting there.
And it is better to get a bit of Lore before rushing out anyway. Seems i can get 3 skill points even if i done listen to the story at all.

Nice work on damsel in distress and the option of trying to steal from Guard caravan. And legging it if you fail, based on dex. :)
Kebab is tasty too. And options after are nice.

btw... is it even possible to save Vardanis? Just wandering.

Cynic

Arcane
Okay played for about 10 mins at work and this is pretty fucking impressive good job guys! I join the chorus wanting a larger font, pretty hard to read at 1920x1080. Other than that this seems to be win.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Just an FYI: Pay attention to your dialogue in the editing stage. There were a few pretty unnecessary errors I've seen already and I've only had time to experiment for about 20 mins or so. I've seen Feng say "off" when it should have been "of" and a few other instances like that. Otherwise, first impressions:

* camera is a bit wonky and tough to get used to, but no big deal. I like how much control of it I have.
* absolutely love that I can zoom out as far as I can (NWN2 style, very cool).
* incredibly impressed with the overall style I've seen so far. I know you guys take a lot of shit (for fucks sake we've been growing grey hairs, you guys) but I feel like you've really delivered.
* faces are great, dialogue a bit awkward at times. I think you need to find an English/Lit major for an editor.

Sorry, I've barely had any time to sink my teeth into this yet. I really love what I've seen so far...and I really feel like I can feel the love put into this. Looking very, very forward to spending more time and will give as much constructive feedback as my dumb brain will allow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom