Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Age of Decadence interview at RPG Vault

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Hazelnut said:
Vince D. Weller said:
High Intelligence helps you learn more, which means that you get bonus skill points from quests and can increase your skills faster.

This is new isn't it? Or did I miss it the first time?
Nope. That's one of the old mechanics. For every 10 points that you earn, you get X bonus points. INT 8 - 1 point, 9 - 2, 10 - 3.

Interesting mechanic, but won't this discourage playing stupid characters for more than just having low intellect? I think it can be argued that high intelligence can actually be a disadvantage to learning highly physical, reaction type skills where thinking too much slows you down.
Well, one may argue that bumping up your INT to 8 or higher IS a huge disadvantage for "highly physical, reaction type" characters. There are 6 stats and 40 points. Run some scenarios.

So, maybe this is a bit too simple a rule, but I guess we ought to hold that thought for AoD 2 eh?
Jumping a bit ahead, there can't be AoD2. The endings are so different, it would be impossible to pick a scenario for a sequel that can account for all options, and choosing one ending is very lame. If the game is somewhat successful and people I work with can make some money, then I have 2 options: a really cool sci-fi game that I already have a design doc for or, if people would absolutely love the overall setting and insist on having more, we can make a game set in that other kingdom, but it could be a different "age" and a different overall mood. The age of renaissance?

Nice to see another interview anyway...
One more is coming, and then I'll take a break.

... and I love the pseudonym BTW - priceless. :lol:
:)

Jora

Arcane
There's a person on a Finnish board who likes weapon skill synergies but wonders why there are none for the general skills.

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
choosing one ending is very lame
Why?
Since most people will play the game multiple times, most of them will get the correct ending. And I'd rather see how one possible I took influences the game world in the long term, rather than none.
Or having a future that makes sense for all player options might work, especially if AoD2 is set centuries later (Of course, I can't really know how easy would be, since I don't know how different the endings are one from the other).

Vault Dweller

Developer
Jora said:
There's a person on a Finnish board who likes weapon skill synergies but wonders why there are none for the general skills.
Because weapon skills are the same, basically. You use both a sword and an axe in exactly the same situation for exactly the same reason and expect exactly the same results. It's not the case for Persuasion and Streetwise, for example, or Crafting and Alchemy.

So, when I give you an option to use a different weapon somewhat effectively, I'm not giving you a freebie. I'm giving you a slight alternative that doesn't make you a more powerful or skilled fighter. If I were to do the same with general skills, I would have to split Crafting into Metalworks, Woodworks, Leatherworks or Dodge into Dodge Melee & Dodge Ranged. See what I mean? It just doesn't work there.

Lumpy said:
Since most people will play the game multiple times, most of them will get the correct ending.
It's not a question of whether or not they will recognize the ending. Choosing one ending makes everything else obsolete and somewhat meaningless. Imo, of course.

And I'd rather see how one possible I took influences the game world in the long term, rather than none.
Trust me, you'll get all the consequences you can handle in one game.

Or having a future that makes sense for all player options might work, especially if AoD2 is set centuries later (Of course, I can't really know how easy would be, since I don't know how different the endings are one from the other).
Very, very different.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
I don't see any need for direct sequels either. Another game in a similar setting / the same world, but in another time and place is just fine. I like it when events in past games have become nothing but myth and distant memory in a sequel.

Trust me? Again? Are you pete in disguise? ;)

bryce777

Erudite
Spacemoose said:
Vault Dweller said:

and so it begins :lol:

For example, if you steal a fork, that character will either starve to death, steal someone else's fork, or call you a vile brigand.

Actually, it would be pretty amusing to have some weird world where without their spoon people starve to death and you could collect all the utensils in a city to make it into a ghosttown.

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Lumpy said:
Since most people will play the game multiple times, most of them will get the correct ending.
It's not a question of whether or not they will recognize the ending. Choosing one ending makes everything else obsolete and somewhat meaningless. Imo, of course.
In my opinion, though, it would be more fun to go into a Junktown ruled by Gizmo or Killian in Fallout 3, rather than not go there at all. You'd get to actually experience how your character's actions determined the future, rather than just see it in the ending clips.

Vault Dweller said:
And I'd rather see how one possible I took influences the game world in the long term, rather than none.
If the endings are really different, then I doubt any consequences you present in the game could be as big as the ones for the endings. Besides, you can only have so many consequences before you make ten games instead of one.

Vault Dweller said:
Very, very different.
Different as in Empire is rebuilt/world is destroyed?

From what I've heard so far, this game sounds much, much better than Fallout. Call me pessimistic, but how can an indie team pull this off?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
Different as in Empire is rebuilt/world is destroyed?
No, that's too simple/cliche.

From what I've heard so far, this game sounds much, much better than Fallout.
Thanks for the compliment, but I doubt it and not because I'm a fan of Fallout.

Call me pessimistic, but how can an indie team pull this off?
A better question is how could Bethesda butcher Oblivion so badly? That's a much bigger mystery, if you ask me. Or the new Star Wars trilogy disaster. On another hand, take a look at Prelude to Darkness. I was shocked that a small team had managed to make a game of such quality. Or Fate, an indie Diablo-clone that offers much better gameplay than heavy-budget games like Dungeon Siege 2 and Titan Quest.

It's not the size or the experience of a team that matter, but the direction the company/team takes. We are not inventing some emergent gameplay and totally radiant AI. We don't have the most amazing and photorealistic graphics ever, nor do we care. Instead, we are focused only on gameplay. There is no other secret or way.

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Thanks for the compliment, but I doubt it and not because I'm a fan of Fallout.
Every quest having tons of ways to do, having fun with any of the basic characters, multiple endings, a non-linear storyline, are all things Fallout should have had, but didn't.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Vince D.Weller
:lol:
Actually toee was more awesome than any game I can remember, combat animationswise.
ToEE was good, but HoMMV has got to have absolutely the best animation in any game I've played.
This is new isn't it? Or did I miss it the first time?
Fallout had that intelligence mechanic, you got bonus skill points at a level-up.
VD said:
The age of renaissance?
Steampunk! Steampunk! I want fantasy games with guns god damnit.

Actually, it would be pretty amusing to have some weird world where without their spoon people starve to death and you could collect all the utensils in a city to make it into a ghosttown.
That would be the best idea for a town ever, a spoof of Radiant AI. It would be like Terry Pratchett in game form.

In my opinion, though, it would be more fun to go into a Junktown ruled by Gizmo or Killian in Fallout 3, rather than not go there at all.
No, it wouldn't. It would be a cheesy throwback and knowing the people making Fallout 3, would probably get it all wrong anyways.

It's not the size or the experience of a team that matter, but the direction the company/team takes. We are not inventing some emergent gameplay and totally radiant AI. We don't have the most amazing and photorealistic graphics ever, nor do we care. Instead, we are focused only on gameplay. There is no other secret.
You are focused on gameplay with the idea that if your game is good people will buy it. Big studios are more concerned on the parts that will sell their game off the hype, "PARTIK STEWARD!!!11"

Okay, now the screenshots:
Fallout was your inspiration? No wai!! Couldn't tell. :) I do see you fixed the one problem Fallout's bar had, with the text box being too small.

There are no levels in the game. You gain skill points by completing quests and defeating your enemies, so you don't need to wait until you level up to enjoy the benefits of all that hard work.
Wonderful, I've been a big fan of getting rid of levels for a long time.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Vault Dweller said:

See, now you're getting into the PR speak that we all wanted out of you in the RPGDot interview. :) Look at Mr.Fancy developer doing interviews with major websites too!

Seriously though, Vince D. Weller got a legit LOL from me. I really liked the interview too as I thought you injected some more enthusiasm that some of us harped on.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
I was surprised IGN wanted to talk to you. From the interview, it sounds good. I agree with not revisiting old stuff and having a large gap in time. I don't want idiot fans obsessing over every minor thing or person their nameless character interacted with and writing slashfics about it. Wipe the slate clean. Instead of rennaissance, use a less time/place specific word, like revival or rebirth or progress or advance or something.

When did Vault Dweller use the pseudonym Serge?

Vault Dweller

Developer
TheGreatGodPan said:
I was surprised IGN wanted to talk to you.
I was surprised myself, but I got quite a few emails from the mainstream sites that apparently have been paying attention for some odd reasons.

When did Vault Dweller use the pseudonym Serge?
MCA mentioned it.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Fucking sexy as hell, VD. Really fucking Sexy. Fame is a turn on for me. Anyway, that's awesome people are asking for this and that in terms of interviews. Let the hype begin! Sound the Great Horn of Promise! Play the lil percker flute of Delivery...

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
TheGreatGodPan said:
I was surprised IGN wanted to talk to you.

The RPG Vault part of IGN tends to be pretty good about covering indies and occasionally actually goes too far -- such as its coverage of an RPG Maker 2k game here (http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/699/699027p1.html). I think IGN basically just licensed / franchised itself to a site that was the equivalent of, say, RPG Dot in exchange for ad revenue, but I'm not sure.

The_Pope

Scholar
Can you play the role of a guy who bunnyhops around with a rocket launching staff and pokes the fear filled eyes of orcs?

elander_

Arbiter
Now, about the non-combat skills... there are four traditional thieving skills (Sneak, Steal, Lockpick, Trap), four conversation skills (Persuasion, Streetwise, Etiquette, Disguise), and four professional skills (Lore, Crafting, Trading, Alchemy).

I like this game. 4 thief skills, 4 social skills, 4 scholar skills besides the usual combat skills. If i ever get to see this game in Portugal im sure i will get it. Just doubt i will ever see it here.

And by the way is it modable?

Vault Dweller

Developer
elander_ said:
If i ever get to see this game in Portugal im sure i will get it. Just doubt i will ever see it here.
Do you have teh intarnet in Portugal? It's a shareware game.

And by the way is it modable?
Nope. Not by default at least.

Timur

Scholar
So you can gain skill points through combat, or just by solving quests?

Astromarine

Erudite
you really have to let us know sometime how you managed to get the attention of all those mainstream sites. AoD seems like a special case in indie games so far, I really wonder why. Maybe a post-mortem once the game is released?

Hazelnut

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Well, one may argue that bumping up your INT to 8 or higher IS a huge disadvantage for "highly physical, reaction type" characters. There are 6 stats and 40 points. Run some scenarios.
Point taken - game balance FTW. It's going to feel rather strange in this day and age no doubt. hehe

Vault Dweller said:
So, maybe this is a bit too simple a rule, but I guess we ought to hold that thought for AoD 2 eh?
Jumping a bit ahead, there can't be AoD2.

Wow, everyone took me so literally - I just meant the game you do after AoD.. be it a sequel or a new setting. Should I have used the dreaded quote marks of doom? :lol:

Assuming AoD is successful enough for a second game to be on the cards that is. It's looking rather hopeful for that at the moment I'd say, so long as you guys finish it off well and don't release before it's ready of course.

Timur

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:

So how are you handling that with a limit of 40 skill points (I know I read that somewhere, but eh maybe not)?-------EDIT(just realized that the governing stats where non raisable via skill points ala Fallout or Dnd. ach, I’ve been playing too much Arcanum.)

Also, it Seems like it would hurt non-combat builds like charisma boy, or stealth boy, or, by the sounds of things, the imposter?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom