Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Age of Decadence interview at RPG Vault

Lumpy

Arcane
Timur said:
Vault Dweller said:

So how are you handling that with a limit of 40 skill points (I know I read that somewhere, but eh maybe not)?

Also, it Seems like it would hurt non-combat builds like charisma boy, or stealth boy, or, by the sounds of things, the imposter?
Why? Most likely, the XP gained by a warrior killing a gang if similar to the one gained by the diplomat persuading the gang to turn themselves in. Plus, the diplomat will have the bonus SP due to high Intelligence.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Timur said:
So how are you handling that with a limit of 40 skill points (I know I read that somewhere, but eh maybe not)?
40 *stat* points.

Also, it Seems like it would hurt non-combat builds like charisma boy, or stealth boy, or, by the sounds of things, the imposter?
Only if someone is powergaming. There are plenty of quests and thus, skill points, in the game. Killing people left and right would reduce the number of available quests significantly, so some balance would be maintained.

Lumpy said:
Most likely, the XP gained by a warrior killing a gang if similar to the one gained by the diplomat persuading the gang to turn themselves in.
No. You get skill points for quests and combat. So, a fighter who has taken the "save the kidnapped noble" quest and killed all raiders, would get both the quest points and the combat points. However, a) a capable fighter doesn't need to take this quest if he can wipe the floor with the quest giver, and b) diplomatic solutions would usually trigger some other quests like convincing the noble house to pay the ransom or convincing the thieves to help you or stealing something for the thieves to convince them to help you, etc.

Timur

Scholar
Lumpy said:
Why? Most likely, the XP gained by a warrior killing a gang if similar to the one gained by the diplomat persuading the gang to turn themselves in. Plus, the diplomat will have the bonus SP due to high Intelligence.

True but at the same time, charisma boy will be quest dependent for those skills (unless VD adds a generic dialogue before each encounter in which the PC can convince the antagonist not to fight), and that does not even cover things that you can’t convince, like beasties (if those are in the game). So more then likely the fighter can just wander around the map and wack things until they stop moving for additional skill points. The only way I see this countered is making a number of quest require a certain level of charisma or intelligence.

There is also the added monetary incentive to fight. Not only do you get the skill points as a fighter, you also get their phat lewt.

Timur

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
40 *stat* points..

Timur said:
So how are you handling that with a limit of 40 skill points (I know I read that somewhere, but eh maybe not)?-------EDIT(just realized that the governing stats where non raisable via skill points ala Fallout or Dnd. ach, I’ve been playing too much Arcanum.)

Lumpy

Arcane
Timur said:
Lumpy said:

True but at the same time, charisma boy will be quest dependent for those skills (unless VD adds a generic dialogue before each encounter in which the PC can convince the antagonist not to fight), and that does not even cover things that you can’t convince, like beasties (if those are in the game). So more then likely the fighter can just wander around the map and wack things until they stop moving for additional skill points. The only way I see this countered is making a number of quest require a certain level of charisma or intelligence.

There is also the added monetary incentive to fight. Not only do you get the skill points as a fighter, you also get their phat lewt.
No beasties in the game, except a few, very strong ones. Plus, all quests in the game are solvable without combat, and you can play without ever entering a fight.
A thief will have plenty of money from stealing, and a diplomat won't need much money anyway.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Timur said:
....(unless VD adds a generic dialogue before each encounter in which the PC can convince the antagonist not to fight)
Nothing silly like that, but combat won't be forced on the player.

...like beasties (if those are in the game).
No "beasties"

So more then likely the fighter can just wander around the map and wack things until they stop moving for additional skill points.
Your character never becomes a demi-god, so that might be harder to pull off than you think.

Nothing a thief can't steal, a craftsman can't make, a con artist.... etc

Lumpy

Arcane
VD, how do you handle Persuasion skill checks? If a fighter accidentally takes a quest that is too hard for him, he will simply have a harder time killing the enemies. If a diplomat does, however, and he fails to persuade the enemies, he's preety much dead.
So, how do you make sure this doesn't happen? Do characters only get quests they can do? Do persuasion skill check failures have no effect, so the player can simply come back later and succeed? Or...?

Timur

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Timur said:
....(unless VD adds a generic dialogue before each encounter in which the PC can convince the antagonist not to fight)
Nothing silly like that, but combat won't be forced on the player.

...like beasties (if those are in the game).
No "beasties"

So more then likely the fighter can just wander around the map and wack things until they stop moving for additional skill points.
Your character never becomes a demi-god, so that might be harder to pull off than you think.

Nothing a thief can't steal, a craftsman can't make, a con artist.... etc

All very good to hear. I have to say that I'm really looking foward to this.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Vault Dweller, can i be a random encounter? I could have like ninja darts made of hard poop and stuff. It owuld be awesome.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
VD, how do you handle Persuasion skill checks? If a fighter accidentally takes a quest that is too hard for him, he will simply have a harder time killing the enemies. If a diplomat does, however, and he fails to persuade the enemies, he's preety much dead.
Like I said, combat isn't forced on you. As for failing to persuade enemies, if that was simple, they won't be your enemies, would they? A diplomat's way, in AoD and real life, is usually dealing with third parties, with enemies and friends of your enemies.

So, how do you make sure this doesn't happen?
See above.

Do characters only get quests they can do?
No. There are no skill/stat checks to receive a quest, only reputation checks. If you are a bloodthirsty killer or a treacherous bastard, your efforts will be recognized. Similarly, there are quests that only the most loyal servants could be entrusted with.

Do persuasion skill check failures have no effect, so the player can simply come back later and succeed? Or...?
Depends on a situation. Just like in life, sometimes you only get one shot, and sometimes you can revisit a discussion and try again.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Astromarine said:
AoD seems like a special case in indie games so far, I really wonder why. Maybe a post-mortem once the game is released?
CBS Sportsline decided to post the RPG Vault interview for some reasons.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Either someone's been very crafty with the PR or there's not a lot of good gaming news around at the moment... which is it I wonder? :P

Astromarine

Erudite
you have GOT to be shitting me. :shock:

Taking from pooper's post, one thing I've wondered: have you put any kind of masked references to the codex anywhere in the game? names, events, characters, anything the cognoscenti might recognize?

Lumpy

Arcane
Volornus Maximus, Honour Blade: The town of Neverwinter is the best ever. Roofles!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Astromarine said:

Taking from pooper's post, one thing I've wondered: have you put any kind of masked references to the codex anywhere in the game? names, events, characters, anything the cognoscenti might recognize?
Nope. Not my thing. In unrelated news, Comcast has also posted the interview in full.
http://www.comcast.net/games/invasion/i ... 14762.html

Hazelnut

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Astromarine said:

Nope. Not my thing.

What the fuck? You've not even put a Fez tribute NPC in the game as I so politely requested? I know you never replied, but I just thought that you wanted it to be a nice surprise!! Oh, woe is me, I'll not be buying this piece of mainstream trash now... I hate you VD.... wahhhhh :cry:

Wait, maybe you still intend to do this, and it's is simply misdirection from the master of diplomacy. Yeah, that'll be it... whew. Everythings gonna be allright after all. :cool:

:lol:

Vault Dweller

Developer
200,000+

We've got about 110,000 after the RPG Dot interview, and 97,000 in the last 3 days.

galsiah

Erudite
Seeing as I "complained" about the tone of the first interview, I thought I'd mention that this one was better in that respect IMO. [though more new info would be nice :) - in the second part I hope]

Nice to know you're not going down the in-joke road too. Fallout 2 started to piss me off with all that. Lovely as the codex is, I'd rather not have it at the top of my mind as I play.

One more tiny, pointless point:
Why have you called stats "stats", rather than something else (e.g. attributes, abilities...)? "stats" is short for statistics, which really should cover any stat - including HP, AP, skills, faction reputations...
I just find it quite annoying to be left with no general statistics word because stats is used to cover one specific area.

Also, the only place any mention of stats is made (I think) on the website is in one of the screenshots. That seems a little odd to me. Perhaps you think they're too obvious to be a "highlight", but it seems strange that you've got "7 distinctive gameplay styles... 23 skills... 8 weapon types..." but no mention of stats.
I'd have thought that someone looking at that page might well assume that there are no stats in your game, since they're not listed there. Probably not good (??).

[[[[Note the only reason the "stats" issue bothers me so much is that I've spent a long time answering queries about Morrowind mods / modding. Either I end up typing "skills and attributes... skills and attributes... skills and attributes...", or I say stats and people assume I mean attributes. I then want to scream IF I MEANT ATTRIBUTES, I'D HAVE SAID ATTRIBUTES at them, but it wouldn't do any good, so I go back to "skills and attributes... skills and attributes... skills and attributes...".

Of course this just demonstrates that calling them "attributes" doesn't get you anywhere, since players will still think stats=attributes. There's little reason to swim against the current on this.

I just look forward to a time when all players and developers will see the light and stop using "stats" when they mean something more specific.]]]]

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Wow, I'm amazed you got so many hits after the RPGDot interview. The only way you'd know of the site is if you visited the Codex, RPGDot or randomy geeky RPG boards. Good for you bro, i hope some of these lookie loos actually buy the game.

Vault Dweller

Developer
glasiah said:
<... stats vs attributes ...>
Good points. Attributes then. I'll update the site.

FrancoTAU said:
Wow, I'm amazed you got so many hits after the RPGDot interview.
The site was launched on the same day, so maybe that played a role too. Many people posted links to the site on different forums (Obsidian, QT3, OctopusOverlords, even ESF), and these sites are among 30 top referrers.

Vault Dweller

Developer
You won't see more than 60 in one game though. Your reputation, choices, and alliances will filter the overall number down for you.

Edit: In unrelated news, we've been offered a good deal on voice over, so I'm considering it now. I'll post some samples for discussions once I have them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom