Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence November Update

hiver

also, wow...what a difference to slogging through W2 beta man. I know, unoptimized and all but, this is like a breeze now, its so light, so responsive, working the camera is like a ballet, every move a swish, fuck its awesome.
(although, to be honest, jumping from athlon64 x2 to i3 might also helped a bit, but then again W2 probably runs worse on that anyway, currently)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Buy now directly. Buy later on GoG. Incline commands you heathen!
Better that then waste money of Blaines bling bling new emperors clothes and evil dastardly plans.
I will buy it now on Steam. :smug: Buying directly is more expensive, because it adds 27% tax. I will buy a GOG version later.
27%? Fuck. It adds tax because it's a EU thing. There is no tax on such things in US/Canada, so if you were to enter a different country, your tax value will change automatically.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fuck me. :) I realized that this is becase I'm in the EU, but I haven't noticed that if I change my country below, I can skip the tax. Thanks, I pre-ordered the game on BMT Micro. I hope this country shehanigan won't cause a problem.

hiver

I never payed any fing tax for it. Might be just his country shenanigans, not EU specifically, since some countries in EU can set or add their own crap imaginary "taxes" on digital purchases like that. In addition to taxes for material goods from "abroad".

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
27%? Fuck. It adds tax because it's a EU thing. There is no tax on such things in US/Canada, so if you were to enter a different country, your tax value will change automatically.
You're technically supposed to self declare online purchases to your state to play sales tax in the US.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I never payed any fing tax for it. Might be just his country shenanigans, not EU specifically, since some countries in EU can set or add their own crap imaginary "taxes" on digital purchases like that. In addition to taxes for material goods from "abroad".
No, actually it is an EU thing. If you buy something outside of the EU, it is considered import from a foreign country, and you must pay the import tax of your country. Which is 27% in Hungary.

Whatever. More importantly FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU :rage: BMT micro declined my order because they manually checked the US address I've given, and they found out that I was ....not honest. ^^ The problem is that my credit card issuer charged me the 25 bucks. I wrote to BMT and asked them to pay up, I hope there won't be a problem.

hiver

and you must pay the import tax of your country. Which is 27% in Hungary.
Yes, in Hungary. Import for physical goods - maybe, but if they charge the same for digital products then someone is fucking you all in the ass.

I probably payed before my country joined that philistine contraption too.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Well I checked, and whatever EU country you select, you always have to pay the import tax for the purchase on BMT. For Austria it is 20%, 19% for Germany etc. BMT is at fault here.

From BMT's page:
The European Union has passed a law requiring non-EU companies to collect Value Added Tax (VAT) on sales of electronically delivered merchandise and services to customers living in the European Union. This law went into effect July 1st, 2003. This does not apply to items that are physically shipped. The VAT is calculated based on the country in which the customer is located. Below is a chart with the current VAT percentages for each country.

Last edited:
Wasteland 2
It is a VAT tax not "import" tax btw, the sole reason for high EU games prices on steam.
You think there is no tax on GOG, or steam ? You are wrong. It is still charged and publisher, or developer gets less.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Use fake address like on amazon. I've ordered two copies of AoD from Ukraine for example - no tax :P
It is also a VAT tax not "import" tax btw, the sole reason for high EU games prices on steam.
But i assume you used an existing address, just from the US. I messed up in just typing in some stupid address I made up for New York.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
BMT micro declined my order because they manually checked the US address I've given, and they found out that I was ....not honest. ^^ The problem is that my credit card issuer charged me the 25 bucks. I wrote to BMT and asked them to pay up, I hope there won't be a problem.
I'm pretty sure your credit card issuer will return the money to your account as the money they took were declined by BMT. And yes, the address is to blame.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
also, wow...what a difference to slogging through W2 beta man. I know, unoptimized and all but, this is like a breeze now, its so light, so responsive, working the camera is like a ballet, every move a swish, fuck its awesome.
(although, to be honest, jumping from athlon64 x2 to i3 might also helped a bit, but then again W2 probably runs worse on that anyway, currently)

I noticed a big jump in stability and performance from the earlier demo to the steam early access build. On those aspects, the game is more than release worthy, and a joy to play.

Wasteland 2
To finish this tax debacle... If I understand things properly ( please correct me if not ):

If you are from UE and purchase from steam its 20% VAT and 30% steam, so VD will see only half of your money.
If you purchase directly and cheat on tax, then BMT charges only 10%.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If you are from UE and purchase from steam its 20% VAT and 30% steam, so VD will see only half of your money.

Why, if Steam games are more expensive in Europe? That extra sum should cover VAT, no?

Last edited:

hiver

imaginary taxes from your dear politician kaste.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom