Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence Released on Steam Early Access

a cut of domestic sheep prime

My thoughts too. Maybe you should only get the attack on approach if you have the action points for it? *spear users everywhere cringe*

hiver

One guy wanted to kill the assassin in the vignette without taking any damage at all, because he wanted to save Vardanis (the shady deal you're offered after) with a fairly mediocre character (invested into hammers and throwing). You can walk away and the game will continue. You don't even have to kill the assassin, but they feel that they have to.
Well, when i played the game the first time, even knowing a lot about its general direction i too thought its just another quest im supposed to "win". Its an ingrained reaction that in my case didnt last longer then two attempts.

On one side i like how that additional sub quest setup was written. It doesnt really makes it very obvious in any way its a shady deal - but lets you fall on your nose because youre greedy.
From the other side maybe some very subtle indirect hint can be written into it to make it a little bit clearer for those that bother to read?
Im not sure if that is actually a good thing and it would depend a lot on how its written in.

... it could serve as the example that teaches the players directly that usual AAA "rpg" behaviour is not the smartest choice - a bit better - maybe.

- also, you can see in the video that sometimes i dont need to "accept" weapon switching through inventory - but just replace them and go out of inventory. Although Ap cost stays the same regardless. So ...just some minor thing i guess.

I'm sure this was suggested before, but what the hell. Did you consider adding some pregenerated characters? Leaving aside the rather absurd comparison with a roguelike, even "hardcore" RPGs had pregenerated characters or parties.
If nothing else, when a reviewer says he can't do shit with a pregenerated character you can say it's his fault because the character is perfectly good.
Well, there is already someone complaining on steam that the awesome build is intentionally made badly because he didnt win this or that.

As i said before, i really dont think hand holding players to such an extent in this game is really what should be done. Because one of its points is figuring out things for yourself.
And as we can see, those kinds of players will then complain those builds are intentionally fucked up.

I could be wrong but i think my idea about some simple guide for absolute beginners would be more then enough to deal with starting misconceptions and wrong assumptions - and it would save time and resources IT would need to spend into making those biodrone friendly builds.

Youre welcome to try it if you think its that easy.
Oh, don't misunderstand, I said it was impressive and I meant it. ;) It's just that most of the combat vids I see people post are using spears.
Well, regardless - the spears do not make it that easy. It is not enough just to backup and wait for AoP. Thats a move that has its specific disadvantages and costs - as all others do.
If you back up - you dont cause any damage in that turn, you remove possibility to net someone or poison someone - and there is no guarantee you will get AoP when enemies go for you. And if they get to the square next to you you cannot hit them with Heavy spear at all - you either need to spend APs in changing the weapon or try to back off - which gets you their AoP. And if you do manage to backup it means you dont have that much APs anymore and either can try one hit or none at all. Which wont necessarily hit.

In this fight i got creamed two times in first two or three turns (because of positioning) - before i won and i dont think i would have if i didnt achieve certain things before i tried it.

Anyway, yeah, I think most gamers have been so spoiled by the ease of modern games, that to them actually having to work for a victory means the game must be broken.
Just take a look at modern FPS's: there are no hitpoints anymore, the screen just gets red and you have to take cover for 3 seconds, then it's back to killing as if you haven't just taken multiple gunshots! What ever happened to the progress that was being made by games like Deus Ex, where if your legs got shot up, you had to crawl to a medbot? It's as if at some point someone said, "hey, winning is fun and losing isn't, let's make it so that players can win more so they'll have more fun" - and so the challenge left all our games.
Its just a consequence of games going into mass market. Just like holywood did it for movies.
Only up till now there was almost no way for independent artists to make their own creations - that are concentrated on quality, depth and exploring new possibilities - instead of providing quick satisfaction to mass market.

Which is kind of similar to the situations movies were in ages of normal cameras - before digital technology stepped in and allowed everyone to buy a relatively cheap camera that can produce high quality picture and do their own thing.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My thoughts too. Maybe you should only get the attack on approach if you have the action points for it? *spear users everywhere cringe*
I'd rather not mess with what gives spears tactical validity. Though I do wonder if we can let some portion of unspent AP be used to give more options in an attack of opportunity. Like, ordinarily, a sledgehammer does a 5AP fast attack when someone tries to disengage. Maybe if you end your turn with 1AP to spare, you can put that into your attack of opportunity to make it a 6AP normal attack? @Vault_Dweller?

The death screens that detail how dumb you were for attempting whatever it was that get you killed really should be enough to clue people in.

hiver

I'd rather not mess with what gives spears tactical validity. Though I do wonder if we can let some portion of unspent AP be used to give more options in an attack of opportunity. Like, ordinarily, a sledgehammer does a 5AP fast attack when someone tries to disengage. Maybe if you end your turn with 1AP to spare, you can put that into your attack of opportunity to make it a 6AP normal attack? @Vault_Dweller?
I and others also suggested something along those lines. Putting left over APs into next AoP or defense - even if its just a very minimal % incresae.

As for nerfing Spears - 1. Its not necessary. This only seemed "easy" when watching it - but i explained some details about it above.
2. Im fine with it if the same thing is applied to all other weapons too.

3. I dont play with Spears because its "easier" - which it isnt. But because AoD has the best implementation of Spear combat in the history of video games. And i love it.

As for Aurelian outpost... i think one more archer and one more melee enemy could do it well hehe.
In addition of my suggestion of creating some basic skill checks for that specific thing you can do before you attempt to tackle the Aurelians ... that actually makes it much easier.

Also...just 9 Sp? cmaaaaannn! :P

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Not sure. When we made the leftover AP transferable, it caused some balance issues. Same could happen here.

hiver

If you make only two AP leftotver points - at the most - transferable and if they give just 1% more each, on something - it would be better then now. And i guess that wouldnt be a balance issue then?

Tigranes

Arcane
Hammer/Block Mercenary is doing alright, beat the mob behind the tavern without much trouble. I still think dodge is superior just as it was in R1, though, due to just how frequent counter-attacks can become.

Lemon

Arcane
It's hard, but not too hard. It's like learning to play piano. It takes time and effort, but ultimately it's a rewarding experience.

We've got the box quote!

The teaming masses will love it.

hiver

Solution: Increase frequency of block -> counter-attack

Blocking doesn't counter-attack anymore, but it's more resistant to damage.

You can always lower the chance to cause counter attack.

BUT this is really not necessary. At least you guys know what i did to win this encounter without me spoiling it.
Counter attacks are just additional ingredients in this. Of all ingredients used here to cook this meal - they have contributed the least.

The skills, the weapon choices, the tactic, heavy use of alchemy and correct usage of environment is what won the day. Not counter attacks.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's hard, but not too hard. It's like learning to play piano. It takes time and effort, but ultimately it's a rewarding experience.

We've got the box quote!

The teaming masses will love it.

Nah, I'm pretty sure this is going to be on the box instead:

Is it good? How does it compare to Fallout?

Its as good, if not better than sending explicit private messages to a tranny, only for them to expose you to the message board at large.

Midair

Learned
AoD world is always the same, when you learn how something works you will know it for certain. Whereas in roguelikes there's always a hundred random variants that will force you to adapt, there's always unknown and surprising things coming your way throughout a game.
Roguelikes have their emergent quality, but they still have mechanics that are always the same and can be learned with certainty. Much of how you improve in a roguelike is through trial and error.

Let's be honest, trial and error does not require a player be clever or tactical. The analogy of learning to play piano, which is just a tedious chore starting out, might be a fair analogy though it does not seem like praise. The only question is would an easy game be any less boring? Everything is shit. Either be bored by easily steam rolling a game, or be bored by a grind of trial and error.

hiver

some 12+ hours of waiting for 200 mb to upload to fing youtube...

the full fight:

UnknownBro

Savant
So this is what 'tactical combat' means eh? Now I understand! Backtrack all the way with a two-handed weapon (using the most powerfull build so far: assasin + dodge + spear) against enemies with one-handed weapons.

That looks cool mang! Way too go! Far out!
Next why don't you upload your Call of Duty videos, I'm sure you'll have a lot more tactics to show us.

:popamole:

In the meantime try winning that fight (and others) with a mercenary + sword + shield without reloading 66 times in the process.

Guess I'll have to stick to assasins and spears until they fix this broken mess.

Last edited:

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Congrats!

Doing what little I can for the incline: https://twitter.com/RpgCodex/status/401421746529521664

FYI: AoD is currently Steam's 67th most sold game! Hope this translates into a nice money inflow for you.

Hmm, wasn't Underrail a bit higher? Like in top 40 or something? I can't recall.

If so, that must've been because it was actually featured on the front page. Styg, did Steam charge you any money for the big front page banner?

No, it was the standard procedure for new releases as far as I could tell.

hiver

- blargh-blargh retard diarrhea - im a butthort moron -
oh hey, the butthurt moron who cant and wont read tries to strike back, like a pathetic turd that he is.
what a wonder.

Enemies with one handed weapons? sure thing. As if thats any difference... hmpf...
Feel free to play this "most powerful build" :lol: yourself, you stupid cheap piece of shit.

Broken mess eh? ohhh the game didnt let you win? ohhh...

:lol:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
A well designed easy mode shouldn't give players free points; it should rather involve modifying the skill screen so it gives you hints on what skills to advance at which point and how to use them. Like a yellow arrow pointing at the Critical Strike skill stating "Get one more point to see a cool ending to the Bandit Camp quest", or a green arrow pointing at the lockpicking skill stating "Well done! Have a look around Feng's place!" with the underlined piece of text being a map link that teleports you outside Feng's location when you click it. That way the player is introduced to map teleportation, but he still has to find Feng's storage by himself.
Under no circumstances should any of the arrows be red. At worst, make them dark orange, but maintain a helpful attitude: "You're going to need thirty more points here to advance in the Merchants Guild. These quests will help you get there."

The game could also allow you to borrow skill points -- you can get 9 extra skill points right from the start, but in exchange the game withholds the next 10 skill points you earn. As long as you have a negative skill point budget, ALL your achievements are disabled. That also has the side effect of making achievements more meaningful for hardcore players.

There could also be a few dialogue icons that inform players without spoiling them. If a dialogue option is guaranteed to result in battle (either hard coded or because of low character skills), put a red sword next to it. If a dialogue option is guaranteed to result in success (because the player can pass all following skill checks), put a green check mark next to it. Any other type of dialogue option shouldn't get any extra hints -- that way you can maintain a sense of challenge and mystery even on "easy mode".

Last edited:

hiver

Whatever. Go back to play with spears monkey-boy.
Look moron, ill play all the backgrounds and ill pass through these same quests. Shield and sword is as powerful combination as any other - when you learn the ropes and specifics.
On that same youtube channel you have a few other videos i made - watch that and tell me that spear is overpowered.
Its not, youre just butthurt and stupid.
I didnt even want to try tackling the bandits because they killed me so well and so fast first few times i tried - with that same build - that i just payed them.

I could make a wild guess and say youre probably that idiot calling himself bittersteel on steam, yeah? The one who cannot pass the spies mission with block and sword despite being told whats the problem with his build?

I guarantee you that you wont pass it with spear either. Unless you listen to the advices given, stop crying about "broken mess" and just do what needs to be done. Use your brain and put some effort into it.

Bubbles.. dont make me report your posts. :wags finger threateningly:

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom