Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (AKA AoE2 HD HD)

Endemic

Arcane
AOE2 HD hasn't received a patch for several months, looks like the focus has shifted entirely to the Definitive Edition.

Tigranes

Arcane
A sauce tells me that they seemingly redid all of the music into weirdly off-sounding versions of original tracks.... as if they lost copyright to the originals, or just did a really dumb job of remixing?

Also that the turn to 'realistic' graphics somewhat reduces the fidelity of how easy it was to tell units apart in the originals.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
It'll just be that they're retarded, and so are their customers, so they made a shite remix. Much like the realistic graphics aren't even a good idea. If you want a REALLY pointless remix then compare the original Spyro soundtrack to the Reignited remix. These things happen in the age of servile consumerist goyim buying what they're told to.

Cael

Arcane
- Onagers can kill trees.
Fucking why?

If you ever played Black Forest with a civ that doesn't have siege onagers, you know why.
Nothing wrong with that.

I hada match where I was randomly assigned Spanish on a Black Forest map. The main entrance had a small pond near it, and being Spanish, I just went and built a couple of shipyards and filled the pond with elite cannon galleons. Hilarity ensued.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A sauce tells me that they seemingly redid all of the music into weirdly off-sounding versions of original tracks.... as if they lost copyright to the originals, or just did a really dumb job of remixing?.

Mods will fix it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Windows 10 exclusive :negative:
while i understand why youre angy Shitows 10 its not that bad. once you get use to it..

new things are bad
old things are good

Operating systems that take control away from you (mandatory updates you can't switch off completely) rather than having you be the one who's in control of your computer are bad. PC operating systems with an interface that looks like it was designed for a smartphone are bad. Operating systems with built-in online stores that try to sell you shit in the fucking start menu are bad.

Operating systems with a made-for-PC interface that give you full control over all of its functions and don't try to peddle shit to you in the start menu are good.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pfff... Windows peasants.

154px-Tux_Enhanced.svg.png

I am actually writing this from Windows.

Seriously, though, does it just straight check your OS and will refuse to run if it isn't Windows 10? That would be a bit absurd, wouldn't it?
I somewhat doubt it relies on the latest DirectX, so I'd actually wager it would run on Windows 7 as well.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Pfff... Windows peasants.

154px-Tux_Enhanced.svg.png

I am actually writing this from Windows.

Seriously, though, does it just straight check your OS and will refuse to run if it isn't Windows 10? That would be a bit absurd, wouldn't it?
I somewhat doubt it relies on the latest DirectX, so I'd actually wager it would run on Windows 7 as well.
Win does make that shit with every new iteration. They do put out some games that only for winx to push people to update to the newest version.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

tindrli

Arcane
Windows 10 exclusive :negative:
while i understand why youre angy Shitows 10 its not that bad. once you get use to it..

new things are bad
old things are good

Operating systems that take control away from you (mandatory updates you can't switch off completely) rather than having you be the one who's in control of your computer are bad. PC operating systems with an interface that looks like it was designed for a smartphone are bad. Operating systems with built-in online stores that try to sell you shit in the fucking start menu are bad.

Operating systems with a made-for-PC interface that give you full control over all of its functions and don't try to peddle shit to you in the start menu are good.
while i agree with you completely but one this one is not design to be a smarphone.. not anymore.. and All those that you mentioned can be handled. yes its a pain in the ass. but not that much and its all done in 15 to 20 mins once you know what you do

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

Game with two of the new civs. The Komnik is the cav that dies and becomes infantry and the Keshik is the cav archer that generates gold from attacking. They show a bit of the tech tree at the end.
-No more tracking, infantry LOS increases automatically
-Steppe lancer cavalry as a unique unit across the steppe civs
-New tech to make militia line cost -15 food
-New unique building for Tartars(?) that can make unique units and fire arrows but nothing else, simply a light castle
-Animations look uglier and jerkier and the mangonnel fire animation looks more difficult to predict

Last edited by a moderator:

attackfighter

Magister
My biggest complaint is that late-game gold exhaustion funnels most civs into the same "trash + siege weapons" strategy. You're going to be making trash anyway due to lack of gold, and at that point the best synergy you get is with ranged artillery that sits behind the trash safe from being expended. It's less of a problem in team games where there are trade routes, but single players games or team games where there aren't safe trade routes (messy Nomad games) always, eventually, degenerate into this situation. I find it kind of repetitive.

I like the games where I have to improvise the most and where novel situations arise most commonly. Messy games, where I lose my initial base to a tower rush while also screwing over an enemy player with a tower rush, are the best way to promote this. I guess what I'd like is:
An AoE 2 game where:
Gold is less restricted in the late game, and
There are ways to be screwed over early on but also ways to bounce back, so that you easily stray into uncharted territory.

If they're going for more of a "clean off the cobwebs" approach to game design for this *latest* rerelease then the least they can do is clean up the netcode and fix pathfinding, and also introduce some quality of life features like having idle villagers be more visible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom