Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Mythology: Retold

lvl 2 Blue Slime

Educated
I always found it weird that in AoM Kronos is portrayed like this:
It's not really that strange to go far afield with the design of something, but you are right because I can't remember anything in that game being too out of left field otherwise. Perhaps they just wanted to really hammer home how otherworldly Kronos was.
What is even stranger is that there's a mission in the expansion where a giant green Titan called "Prometheus" is destroying a Greek city, but playing as the Atlanteans, whenyou try to advance an age by worshipping a god, Prometheus looks completely different
images
bd0d62de0bc907db7d2750b86dd0afda.jpg

Sarathiour

Cipher
Most of Olympian's god mythos involved them shapeshifting to trick or fuck mortal, I don't find it far-fetched that they their predecessor in the lore take monstrous form to wage war, especially because it's probably an avatar of them.
The most important thing for an rts is for unit to be recognizable at a glance, and AoM did a solid job at that.

PlayerEmers

Educated

Honestly... i kinda like it EXCEPT the artwork which is a huge downgrade form the original. But im afraid the high fidelity graphics will make unit visibility during fights shit. Im also afraid of what they will do with the campaign story (shit changes, censorship and shit). I really like arkantos story and the titans campaign.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Most of Olympian's god mythos involved them shapeshifting to trick or fuck mortal, I don't find it far-fetched that they their predecessor in the lore take monstrous form to wage war, especially because it's probably an avatar of them.
The most important thing for an rts is for unit to be recognizable at a glance, and AoM did a solid job at that.
Due to the cult nature of ancient Greek religion, the different city states had their own versions of the gods, and the depictions and epithets would vary depending on the city and its culture. I've never played Age of Mythology, but maybe it has something to do with that?

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
the OG AoM still plays well on modern hardware btw, all the charm is lost with these generic graphics

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
>deformed nose
>hair and beard different colour
>centre of fringe disrupted (combover? lol)
>lightning bolt uncohesive, not gripped, bits of lightning scattered around
>muscles excessively iterated and deformed
>ivy wreath incoherent and shares some of its shape with the hair
>blue pattern on toga impressively coherent but still shows a few bits where it breaks or gets too thick

Some of my putin fanart is better than that

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
This looks pretty much exactly as meh as AoE3 DE does. I don't mind them doing it and keeping classic rts of the good variety alive, but at this points it seems like 2 DE was a lightning in a bottle type of thing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Arkantos looks goofy. What I want from this remaster is gameplay fixes that will revitalize its multiplayer.

czor8z.png
et4wqv.png

This has to be AI slop, no halfway competent artist would make something like this. Look at Loki as an example, his torso faces a different direction than his lower body, and that random stitch to the right side of the chest. Even if it isn't it's just a straight down grade from the original art.

Seethe

Arbiter
czor8z.png
et4wqv.png

This has to be AI slop, no halfway competent artist would make something like this. Look at Loki as an example, his torso faces a different direction than his lower body, and that random stitch to the right side of the chest. Even if it isn't it's just a straight down grade from the original art.
It's obvious AI slop. In fact, even the main cover "art" struck me as AI generated the second I saw it. If you zearch "AI zeus" on google images, you'll get what I mean. All these "badass" characters always get generated with the same face, proportions and expression by default. It's obviously not fully generated by AI, but some upscaler/img2img was used for sure, and it's heavily edited. But like with everything else that needs to be constructed with steps, you can at best polish a turd if the foundation is crap. Clashing art styles is the main sign, then that overabundant saturation and smoothness of AI. You can see it even on the forehead patterns in the right pic.

But the most damning proof in the Bast picture are the uneven pupils (anisocoria) which often means that you need to take your cat to the vet because it might be suffering from brain damage, and the scuffed sistrum which has those bars going through the center on one side and exiting around the edge. No human being would make this mistake three times in the sketch phase for all three elements, and then not notice the mistake for hours while also rendering/polishing the error.

anisocoria-in-cats-1.ashx

1718034923953067.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom