Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Age of Wonders 1 & 2

belated

Augur
I have that one installed for vanilla AoW. But this map uses Warlock rules (optional) which uses its own exe file.
I guess the bug would not happen using the vanilla version.

I've definitely used in on Warlock's as well by patching the dll file. That's how I got through Fall of Gondolin/Mirror of Galadriel maps without errors when I replayed them a couple of years ago.

Edit: Didn't remove the error from all maps though.

belated

Augur
I don't recall having any problems with Mirror of Galadriel.

Might have been mostly FoG, I think that's the one with all the terrain-changing altars in the underground directly below the ruins. Always suspected them (and in general maps using surface terrain underground) to be the main suspect of that error type. Or maps without a tile buffer near the edges of the map.

Anyway, with the patched dll I got through FoG, MoG and https://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=495 (which has also given me the same error before) without issues. Still pops up in https://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=550 though.

Lagi

Savant
Quality writing. Map is massive, and lovely cluttered with details. At first glance all fits nicely, cant tell if there are some custom decorations or not.

I suppose to play as goblins? What for do i have builder?

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
This clump of foliage and skeletons is an example of the modded-in art assets (reused from combat maps)
If you can see them then you must have Ziggurat or Evolved installed.
Screenshot_130.png

Builder is just supposed to signify that the Goblins have fled from a ruined land, there's a couple of ruined towns around but might be better to build a shipyard instead.

Modded Rejuvenate spell (which I changed to Desiccate, a Fire Sphere desert-creating spell) so that it is multi-step, ie snow to grass to steppe to desert with repeated casts.
(there is already Healing Showers and Path of Life to create grass terrain, now Azracs can take advantage of their desert concealment with spells also)

Next stop is modding Fire Storm so that it turns desert hexes to lava (with a party hex exclusion, like Freeze Water avoiding ship hexes so you cannot drown enemy armies in lava), that way Fire Mastery can be actually useful (a fellow modder figured out how to make it give Fire Halo instead of Fire Protection). You will be able to make lava pools that you can walk over while others can't do so as easily.
Other storms overwrite lava (Ice, Life, Death): Earth and Air spheres can pass over lava with Wind Walking and Raise Terrain (which reverts to grassland not lava when the mountains subside).

Actually I need to mod Raise Terrain before it works on lava hexes.

Elf Longbowman
r_elf.gif

Despite lacking the raw might of other races, Elven Longbowmen somehow wield huge bows tirelessly. The baffled archers of other races, who train years to develop strength in their arms, claim that it must be magic. They are correct, for the bow of an Elf is not dead wood, but retains the heart of the tree whence it came. An Elf's bow aids its wielder in drawing it, and only the accuracy of Elven Archers testifies to their skill.

In a world where Elven numbers have dwindled, the ability to fight at range has become more important. Archery combined with summoned vines has become the classic Elven tactic. Elves feel most at home in the forests and are able to move easily through heavily wooded areas; the most experienced can conceal themselves beneath the foliage.

The Elven race is highly magical, and its most battle-hardened warriors can focus well enough to fire magic bolts even under battle conditions, though they may not be spellcasters otherwise.

Elf Longswordsman
Screenshot_130.png

Elven warriors are dextrous but slight of build. Their swords are long and thin, and their chainmail is light but well-crafted. Like all Elves, Longswordsmen travel through forests as easily as the open plains, and the most experienced can conceal themselves beneath the foliage.

The Elven race is highly magical, and its most battle-hardened warriors can focus well enough to fire magic bolts even under battle conditions, though they may not be spellcasters otherwise.

Nymph
u_nymph8.gif

Nymphs are the flowers of the thinking forest, just as Fairies are the seeds and Nature Elementals the heart. They are beautiful and able to seduce males, but Nymphs are not individuals or even creatures of true flesh and blood. Their flesh is resilient to mundane weaponry, and they will fight for the health of the forest with no regard for their own survival, and with beauty as their only weapon. Usually they do so under the direction, even from afar, of higher powers such as the Fairies and Nature Elementals.

Nymphs are ill-suited to urban environments, and when participating in the storming of a fort or city, they may flee out of confusion if the walls go unbreached for too long. Nymphs have only vestigial sight and hearing: their rely on their sense of living being’s life forces and on the natural lay of the land to orient themselves. To such beings a sealed-off artifice of stone is a baffling eldritch horror.

Elf Dragoon
U_EScout.gif

Elven cavalry do not risk their lives in melee if they can avoid it. Instead these troops favour mobility, scouting, and mounted archery. They wield cavalry sabres with skill, but a charge is a last resort, or a mopping up effort once a battle is clearly won.

Like other Elves, the most experienced Dragoons can evade enemy scouting in forests, and are able to fire magical bolts.

Elven Cleric
Screenshot_129.png

Where stands a forest, once rested the eye of an Elven Cleric. It was they who seeded the world of Athla with verdure, and they retain some of this power in the present era. In their trod the most barren lands spring to life. It is the Elven Clerics who guide the intent of the Nature Elementals and teach the short-lived Fairies how to wield their powers.

Clerics have superior oracular abilities, able to extend their vision beyond normal limits. Their power to banish the Undead is enhanced, and like all holymen, they can heal and see through deceit.

Elven Clerics possess seeds from the deepest forest which grow upon command, entangling their enemies in twisting vines. Like all Elves, the most experienced Elven Clerics can evade sight of enemy scouts when travelling through undergrowth.

Fairy
U_Fairy2.gif

Fairies are the seeds of the thinking forest, just as Nymphs are the flowers and Nature Elementals the heart. Fairies are Nymphs who have been fertilised: they grow wings to fly some distance before planting the seeds of a new forest.

Like Nymphs, Fairies are not creatures of true flesh and blood, and they are resilient to mundane weapons, but their minds are more developed than those of Nymphs and will act independently save when directed by a nearby Nature Elemental. Fairies fight for the health of the forest with no regard for their own survival, and can summon vines to do so.

Ranger
Screenshot_131.png

Elven Rangers are the oldest military corps in Athla, established when the rule of Inioch and the Elves was unchallenged. In that time their duty was to head off monstrous and supernatural threats which lurked far from the civilised settlements. Rangers maintained the balance and patrolled far reaches: they did not conquer. These warriors are superb at travelling the wilds unseen and can slay great monsters, but against a city wall staffed by archers they are no better than any other elite troop.

Rangers wear light chainmail whose old enchantments render it as protective as plate armour. They can project magical bolts skilfully and their swordsmanship is as agile as a Salamander’s. Mountains and rivers are no barrier to these swift-moving commandos.

Unicorn
U_Unicrn.gif

Unicorns are contrary beings of chaos, purity and secrecy. A spring touched by the horn of a Unicorn, before any other ever came to drink, will run pure forever after. Such is the case with the waters of the Silvanus forest, but in this era almost every spring in Athla has been drunk from and can no longer receive the consecration.

Unicorns rove the forests in small packs far from habitation. They do not deign to hide, but exact a terrible price on any would-be hunter with horn and hoof. Until the destruction of the Elven court, no civilised race had contact with these terrifying beasts. As Elves sought refuge in Silvanus and other forests they sought peace with the Unicorns. It is well for both parties that the Unicorns were intelligent enough to negotiate and join the cause of Good, though they never agreed to serve as steeds.

No poison can trouble a Unicorn and even the power of the grave is abated. The horn’s touch heals as readily as it slays.

Nature Elemental
U_NSprt2.gif

Nature Elementals are the beating heart of the forest. By their power the first forests of Athla grew under the direction of Elven sages. Nature Elementals are highly perceptive and have seen aeons pass, but like other Elementals they are creatures of instinct, not true intelligence. These beings direct the actions of Fairies and Nymphs from afar.

Nature Elementals are immune to poison, resilient to the elements, and can render themselves immune to lightning and cold in the course of a prolonged conflict. Though large and powerful enough to breach city walls, their arboreal form permits them to pass through forested areas unseen. A Nature Elemental’s palms writhe with the power of growth and entangle enemies with every strike.

Lagi

Savant
just watch this video... a boring early game expansion... nothing interesting really (i consider taking away my brofists).

I think I ask about it ages ago, but could you refresh my mind:
Why you dont give in your mods Shipyard a gold income?
if shipyard grant income, there is worth to waste movement points and army to capture and protect them. Game is more interesting because there is more objective to control on map.
AoW1 is land based game, not much stuff on the blue tiles. Ships are fashion statements features, you dont need to produce them all the time.
And it just make fluff sense, a port == a profit, money, taxation on goods, tax on ships, fish supply (food=like farms), in medieval periods it was the highways to get from A to B.
if you want to limit gold income on your maps with water and shipyards, then maybe place one less farm.

edit:
Nope. I would rather have the shipyard only be useful for making ships, that way I can have it cost very little gold to make new shipyards.

Last edited:
I think I ask about it ages ago, but could you refresh my mind:
Why you dont give in your mods Shipyard a gold income?

Nope. I would rather have the shipyard only be useful for making ships, that way I can have it cost very little gold to make new shipyards.
Yeah, that was my rationale. There's already farms, mines, Builder's Guilds and cities for gold.
I prefer the Shipyards to be just about the ships. I have made the Dragon Ship very very cheap to make, but still fairly slow to build, so a constant stream of those can be a nearly free "income". Ships are very useful when there's any kind of significant water body, and if there isn't then IMO shipyards don't need to be interesting.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The difference between Automatic combat and Tactical->Auto is truly a thing of wonder in this game. It's like all the dice are loaded in the AI's favour in Tactical combat compared to Automatic. My own Catapults and Giants hit less often than they should, and if they do they usually do minimum damage (except when there's a 10% chance of hitting my own troops; then they do max damage against friends). And Turn Undead also seems to work much better in Automatic combat.

Automatic:
xkebhg3.jpg

Tactical->Auto:
gKMN6Rk.jpg

I also lost (barely) on my first attempt with manual control.
This is the Fall of Gondolin map using Warlock's Rules, BTW.

Sometime burning damage runs backwards and resurrects units in autocombat, so you might be right... but it could also just be the ranged advantage that it confers.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
This is weird...

Some bad dudes are willing to join for the right price:
fdoIh61.jpg

Another hero offers his services.
jPMjm37.jpg

But after hiring Gorthak the bad dudes are no longer interested:
luGNBZZ.jpg

But if I reload and hire the bad dudes first, then Gorthak will no longer join.

I'm confused.
The background info for the map says max 8 Heroes, but I only had 2.
The race relations did not change when hiring any of the heroes.
(And wether you can pay or not does not matter.)

So why does this happen?

Lagi

Savant
so its not a vanilla map, because its uses battle map assets.
this indicate that it need to be used with one of the mods (only ziggurat and evolved are compatible with expanded map feature, i think?).
ok... so why dont you polish Ziggurat more? implement more graphics? I dont think any new mod players will need another map now. And even if, whatabout this floating island, sky layer? what other asset you need to make it happen? [ also could you ban f.ex. flying unit from getting into caves or undergrounds? its thematic, and open hardcounter niche. Or at least penalise they movemnt to 2tiles per turn or something?]
however i understand that you like to make map now, so you are making one, thats fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom