Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Age of Wonders 1 & 2

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
RSbUNbH.png

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What the...I can't remember seeing this spell before?
568IKvG.jpg

From Uprooted, an old map using vanilla rules made by Ray Bingham ("Ham Binger"), one of the designers.

It's always been there! Though I felt it was rather redundant in the Water sphere, which has two far more convenient healing spells, so I renamed and recoloured it to "Pyre of Cleansing" (should rename to Vitality) in the Fire sphere.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I guess I never research Water spells much. It's usually Earth, Death, Life and Fire. I can't recall ever casting the Water Mastery spell. And I'm not one of those autists who always play the same race and magic spheres; I like variation. Although I have a preference for Goblins if there's lots of underground.

visions

Arcane
Healing Water from the Water sphere used to be one of my most used spells but in my more recent playthroughs of the campaign I've tended to avoid the Water sphere because a defense 10 hero/leader with Healing Water makes soloing armies too easy.

But other than Healing Water, I usually didn't use the Water spells much. Earth or Air is my preferred sphere.

Dr1f7

Scholar
what's with this 1.6 mod for Shadow Magic that I keep seeing screenshots of on steam? looks cool but idk if it exists or is some WIP

what's with this 1.6 mod for Shadow Magic that I keep seeing screenshots of on steam? looks cool but idk if it exists or is some WIP
It's complete, but is still having more thing added to it. Well, maybe the maps are not complete for it, and they are crucial.

It consists exclusively of more units, (not recruitable, they appear only when placed in a scenario), new terrain decorations and locations (ditto). So in practice its sole purpose is for making scenarios with. Fortunately, The Groll (biggest mapmaker for AoW2 by a mile) has been making scenarios.
Frankly, I personally don't find it particularly interesting to have literally thousands of new units and graphics poached from scores of games - but the new maps are cool, AND they make use of a couple of new hacked-together terrain types - "Sky", which is only passable by flyers, and they added "Chasm" graphics, only passable by flyers/floaters and mountaineers - though that's mechanically the same as mountains.

The Groll making a "floating island" map is very hype IMO.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You can always have the newer units in older maps by adding the new units to the lists of possible defenders/recruitables in various locations. That's what I did with my own custom map mod based on 1.4 and Heroes&Wizards (I think it was called).

In AoW1 I've decided that using mods just break too many older maps, so now I use the rule set for which the maps were made. Maps with Warlock's Rules are usually an incline.

Last edited:
this mega map is made with some ruleset in mind?
A lot of the decoration will require either my ziggurat mod or the Evolved mod to work, otherwise the map will "go bald".
However, these assets are just combatmap art assets, so you don't need to install the actual art files, you just need the release.hss file. The only other thing that release.hss governs is the randomly generated stacks for dungeons/razed structures, and recruitment lists for shipyards, guilds, and for towns. Therefore it's quite easy to just copypaste the release.hss into any mod and then revert the recruitment/dungeon listings to whatever that mod is supposed to have, using deved.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane

octavius

Arcane
Patron
This is most exasperating:
g6l8OCW.jpg

AjCF11K.jpg

NrtkRa9.jpg

The map is Scaxlian Wars, using Warlock Rules.
Any idea what causes this?

EDIT: I guess it was caused by me already having the maximum six heroes. Damn, that sucks in an otherwise brilliant map.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's seems I assumed too much. I was later able to free other heroes and have them join me, so now I have eight heroes. Not complaining, but I am a bit confused.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom