Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

TBS Age of Wonders 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by BING XI LAO, Apr 6, 2020.

1. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    There's another issue, which is the undead heroes can sumon a bunch of neutral-alignment earth elementals onto their own hex, then abandon the undead cause because they're pissed off at the neutral-aligned Elementals. Best to just ensure every spellcaster in that area is with a full stack of evil units.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Is this due to the modding of the racial attitudes? Or does is it (neutral elementals deserting Undead and High Men) happen in vanilla too? I can't remember myself.

^ Top  
  3. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    Happens there too I think, the mod does make it possible to summon more elementals earlier however.

^ Top  
  4. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Maybe the elementals' alignments should be set to None instead of Neutral?

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    In my opinion they should be retained at Neutral, since that's congruent with the elementals in the Elric of Melnibone books from which the campaign's cosmology is heavily inspired.
    Also, I would rather have summons be temporary in nature - whether through high upkeep relative to initial cost, or through bad morale, it matters not.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Funny, I was going to write something like "I'm not an Age of Wonders lore master, but I think the elementals don't care about Good and Evil, and are no instruments of The Balance"
    Anyway, they only become temporary for the Undead and High Men AI players. The other races avoid deserting, while a human player will just summon dragons instead.
    But I like the idea of temporary summons. I guess that's what I like about your mods; many good ideas. But "advertising" them as MP mods made me initially ignore them.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    • feels good man feels good man x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    I was thinking a bit more about justfying Neutral-aligned elementals, just expanding on what I said earlier:
    In the final Elric of Melnibone book, the elementals are screwed if the world becomes Chaotic, because they represent an orderly matrix of essences: and they are also screwed if it becomes Lawful, because they are nonetheless magical.
    The end of the final Elric book sees the world become less magical and it becomes entirely human-dominated, much like the Highmen agenda in Age of Wonders world of "Athla"; we may well conjecture that Elementals would fare similarly ill under Undead domination.

And as for the game mechanics side of things, unit disloyalty is the most pertinent manifestation of the whole relations/alignment mechanic, and I like to expand the relevance of mechanics, not reduce them.

^ Top  
  8. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    My memory is a bit shit, but ins't there a "True Neutral" alignment in AOW? AFAIK that's what Syrons got. Not sure if it makes them desert.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. vota DC Liturgist

vota DC
    It gives a bigger morale penalty against non neutral races.

^ Top  
  10. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    For SP "None" is the only alignment that makes sense. It's just too stupid when a Highman hero summons Air Elementals, and then some turn later quits because of alignment differences. Alternatively, if it's possible make the summon elemental spells lvl 4, so the Highmen and Undead won't be able to research them with default magic spheres.

^ Top  
  11. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    It is possible, after all I only recently moved them from tier4 to tier3. Assigning spell sphere/tier is easily done in DevEd. As is unit alignment. But you know that right? Happy to share my modding knowledge with any of the hex editing things too.

^ Top  
  12. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Ah yes, I did think it was strange those spells were lvl 3.
    Anyway, I think making them lvl 3 and making the elementals of Neutral alignment is a very bad mix. The only thing so far I really don't like about your mod.

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
  14. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    Figured out what was causing the "-22 levelup bug" and fixed it. I'd given Haste a levelup cost, which was being incurred if you cast it on your heroes. Also updated the mod.
    EDIT: it has a new bug now, that might stop you fighting battles offensively... going to have to delay the update
    Edit: updated with just the -22 bugfix and some other stuff, shouldn't include the new bug.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    ^ Top  
  15. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    K, now a proper patch is uploaded.

^ Top  
  16. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Did you do anything with the Elementals?

BTW, having played the mod quite a bit now, I think the Fire Musket is rather OP now. It has high AT and DAM, two shots and long range, making it well worth spending 24 skill points on (OTOH Knights are no longer the only 3rd tier Human unit worth building). Excellent for Dragon hunting. Same with Doom Gaze, or maybe even more, if your main enemy are not the Undead.

Extra Strike for only 8 skill points is rather cheap, I think.

No Wall Crushing skill for heroes?

Trolls are now a serious pain in the butt with their Hurl Boulder skill. I hate enemies with that skill; so hard to cover against, and it seems to hit more often that it should. Also makes the Beetles less sexy. OTOH with Physical Protection I guess the Beetles are good for throwing against lower tier mobs with only physical attacks.

But this is mostly nitpicking.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    ^ Top  
  17. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    Been trying to prune redundant and semi-redundant skills from levelup just to make the list less unwieldy and overlong. So Heroes can't get Wall Crushing, but can get Wall Climbing and Hurl Boulder.
    Elementals - I think I tweaked them only slightly (aside from being so much easier to summon), although the Water Elemental did get Extra Strike and Lifestealing (ie stealing water in the form of blood)
    Fire Musket might have to be weakened or made more expensive, but at least Musketeers get to exist now.
    Same with Trolls, Hurl Boulder means goblins have a ranged t3 and the troll is better than before.
    Unsure if Beetles are too weak.

^ Top  
  18. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    I don't think the Beetles are too weak, but the new Trolls change the whole dynamics of Goblin warfare when you can have units breaching the wall from a safe distance.

NM, I forgot Goblins still have Catapults. A bit slower than Trolls, but not enough to make a big difference.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    ^ Top  
  19. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    It's bloody annoying that you can't set as Victory Condition to kill a specific hero.
    After four weeks of playing Coming of the Dread Lord (including at least one week of false starts), the Dread Lord now appeared on turn 56 using the the map BING XI LAO edited, instead of turn 65. This is merely of academic interest now, since I was already in the mopping up phase, so it was actually a good thing.
    The game should have ended when I killed the Dread Lord. Instead one of the AI players broke the alliance, which would have forced me to mop up another faction, which was the last thing I was in the mood for now, what with the map maker forcing no Leaders on map.

Some of the omissions in Age of Wonders is truly puzzling.
    Why no more VCs, like in the HoMM games?
    Why can't AI players explore lairs and ruins, pick up items or attack Independents? I can understand a weak AI, but there's really no excuse for these things.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    It was the reason I hesitated so long to give Troll Hurl Boulder.

^ Top  
  21. vota DC Liturgist

vota DC
    Troll was always the superior choice in combat, now beetlee lack a role except digging underground and exploring.

^ Top  
  22. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Well, it does get physical protection, so good against groups of low level units and as meat shield against missile attacks.

^ Top  
  23. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    BING XI LAO, some problem with the old Lord of the Rings map using your mod.
    The Undead leader, Sauron, has som Goblin and Orc troops that desert, despite having "Okay" morale, like stacks of 8 Wyvern Riders. The Undead are neutral vs Orcs and Goblins. I thought units deserted only if having Poor or Terrible morale?

I assume the racial diplomacy modifiers is one of the things you need to hex edit to mod?

^ Top  
  24. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    Maybe it's because they're on Wasteland terrain, but the Undead may also have migrated Goblin or Orc towns - it does that now because AI migrates races that only have neutral relations.
    As it happens, I used Race Relations as the example in my quick hex editing guide:
    https://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=14,2663,,60

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    It's not the terrain, but Sauron owns several Orc and Goblin cities, so I guess the goblins did not accept the population replacement (good for them).

I was able to edit the Orcs, Goblins and Undead to be Polite to each other.
    But maybe I should just edit all the values back to vanilla values to avoid more old maps getting broken.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.