Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

TBS Age of Wonders 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by BING XI LAO, Apr 6, 2020.

1. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    I started a new game (same map - Coming of the Dread Lord - with different factions) using Ziggurat mod with unnerfed (by me) fliers and was surprised to see the AI attack a Gold Dragon with two Centaurs and win.

^ Top  
  2. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Tried that and now the problem is even worse.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Playing the Elves with the original map the problems only affected a couple of heroes and it straightened itself out, but now playing the Frostlings with a resaved map, things only get worse.
    This is one of the few heroes I've actually been able to level up earlier, and look at him now:
    [​IMG]

Show Spoiler
    I want my money back!

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. BING XI LAO commie-cunt mainlander Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    Huh, for me it's a rare bug that resolves when it does happen... Which map is that?

^ Top  
  4. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Coming of the Dread Lord.
    One of the Frostling Heroes (Jorgmun) also started with 0 HP, but not dead.

^ Top  
  5. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Tried the Sword&Sorcery mod some more. The Black Dragons are ridicilously overpowered. They already have Flying and breathing, do they really need 30 HP as well?

Bing, which files do I need to copy if I only want to install the Ziggurat changes to units, spells and lists, and not anything that deals with skills and leveling up?

^ Top  
  6. BING XI LAO commie-cunt mainlander Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    In S&S I left the dragons at 240 manacost to summon, hence their strength. I guess in Singleplayer initial costs matter little however.

Aside from graphical and text mods, Ziggurat is split between the Release folder's files and the AoWEpack.dpl file.

The release folder contains among other things:
    Unit stats and abilities
    Recruitment lists
    Spell mana/research/upkeep/sphere/tier
    Dungeon defender lists (vanilla in Zigg's case)
    Hero chassis base stats and abilities
    Levelup availability and skillpoint cost of abilities (except multilevel abilities)
    Assignation of unit graphics

You might be able to figure out which files in the folder contains which things, or maybe they're mostly all in Release.hss itself.

AoWEpack.dpl contains among other things:
    Skillpoints per level (unchanged in Zigg)
    Skillpoint cost of stats and multilevel abilities
    base vision range and gold upkeep formula
    cost of city upgrade and walls
    cost of building a watchtower
    installation time
    ALL modifications to ATK/DAM/RANGE/RoF of spells and abilities
    Scaling of the morale DEF/RES modifier and the leadership ATK/DEF modifier
    XP per level requirement (scales to larger numbers at high levels)
    Altar manacost/recharge time

I played a couple turns as dark elves on that map and didn't encounter the bug, and for Frostlings only this hero was bugged. It's because he is set to have +2 DEF and in Ziggurat that costs and extra 10 points. So he starts at -10, then when he levelled up it went to 0/0. I don't know how you got far more negative numbers, starting at -16, for the same hero, and then getting WORSE at levelup, weird.. Try reinstalling the mod (it has been updated a fair amount)? Is steam messing it up by verifying files?
    Show Spoiler

Screenshot_35.png

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. BING XI LAO commie-cunt mainlander Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    ^ Top  
  8. BING XI LAO commie-cunt mainlander Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    Check out the Upatch 1.6 discord to see the latest AoW2 graphical modding and mapmaking. https://discord.gg/UU9AExk7pW

I think we have a case of "typical slav modder" here, the style of the mod is absolutely CRAMMING the game with probably thousands of untis and miscellaneous graphics.... it's basically just a graphics mod.
    But "The Groll" has returned as a mapmaker, and is using new map structures and graphics to make a floating island map!!!
    Actually, he's mostly posting in this discord: https://discord.gg/ZSssHQmvMF

The_Grolling_Sky_43.jpg

• Interesting x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    BING XI LAO, I was using a slightly older version, but after downloading the newest one, the problem seems to have been fixed. Jorgmun starts with -10 skill point, gets 0 when leveling up, and two other heroes got +12 and +30 skill points when leveling up.
    So barring any unforseen incidents this is definitely the ultimate AoW1 mod so far as far as I am concerned!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Bing, how come you changed the Undead Reaper from Flying and no Strike back to the more conventional model?

^ Top  
  11. BING XI LAO commie-cunt mainlander Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    Popular demand... sad!

^ Top  
  12. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    BING XI LAO, I've run into a problem in the Coming of the Dread Lord map which is probably caused in some way by your Ziggurat mod, since I haven't seen anyone else experiencing this. The Big Bad is supposed to appear on the surface on day 65, but now he turns up at day 15, making things virtually impossible.

Looking in the editor I see he has a squadron on 7 Black Dragons and is placed behind a Fire tile that is set to last for 65 turns, to time the coming of the dread lord. In vanilla BDs have no resistance to Fire, but in your mod they have Fire Protection.
    Do you know if Fire Protection will make AI controled units ignore Fire tiles?
    (Or do you have any other ideas?)

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. BING XI LAO commie-cunt mainlander Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    I think something like that happened to me on another map. Lady Cynthia's Garden, basilisks tp in turn 1 and burn shit down.
    Edit: figured that one out, it's because they got Tunneling. Will take a look at Dread Lord.
    Maybe just stack them with a non-Fire resistant Goblin Rider?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    ^ Top  
  14. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Hmm...won't the AI just split the stack?
    Anyway, some testing confirms that a hero with Fire Protection will ignore the Fire tile.

^ Top  
  15. BING XI LAO commie-cunt mainlander Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    Probably best to just mod fire protection off the dragons.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. BING XI LAO commie-cunt mainlander Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    Working on two new maps now, this one will be two-level, mostly surface with the caves being used as alternate attack routes
    Medium size, 5 player, weak indies, this is geared towards making a livegame that isn't intolerably long.
    Entitled "The Spice-Marshes of Heulax"
    What you see on the screen is about a quarter of the whole map's area - the lava is central and the Dark Elf start is hard by the eastern map edge.
    Screenshot_66.png

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Justicar Savant

Justicar
    [​IMG]

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. BING XI LAO commie-cunt mainlander Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
  19. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    BING XI LAO,

Still having problems with your Ziggurat mod. I think I must have been barking up the wrong tree when I thought Black Dragons having Fire Protections broke the map and the Coming of The Dread Lord happened too soon. By cheating and observing the area, I can't work out why those stacks of Undead heroes and high level units suddenly decide to break the fire barrier when using the latest version of your mod.

I tested with Vanilla and all the units behaved as they should.
    And looking closer at a game played with an older version of the mod (the .dlp is dated March 23), the heroes and units have appeared on schedule as of turn 17, while with the newest version the Dread Lord sometimes appear as early as turn 5, and some of the lesser heroes and their units break out on turn 3.

So the newer version must have done something with the Fire tiles, Fire Protection and/or AI behaviour, but I couldn't work out any pattern.
    But the older version where the timed release seems to work as intended has a bugged skill system. :(

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. BING XI LAO commie-cunt mainlander Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    No direct or intentional change has been made to fires, fire prot, or the AI.
    I'm running a test myself an it baffles me; for example one AI stack has left, while another yet lingers, unable to pass through the selfsame fire.

^ Top  
  21. BING XI LAO commie-cunt mainlander Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    This renovation of the map may fix it. Two alterations are made: firstly the waiting-places behind the fires are expanded, because summoned spiders were sitting atop the fire, and I wondered whether their interspersement had not caused the movement calculation to alter. In AoW2, it is possible to move past webs (which should end movement for the turn) by such device. However, the fire damage was still incurred on some incidences at least, which suggests this may not be the same thing.

Secondly, all Orcs cities under the Undead flag are switched to Undead race, or to Orc flag. This is because in the mod, these two races have only neutral relations, which causes the AI to migrate them, thus causing its Orc stacks to rebel.

You have my apologies for inconvenience caused hitherto!

I have tested this edit to turn 6 so far, and observed no anomalies! Still, the test must go on to turn 15 to be sure.

Attached Files:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. BING XI LAO commie-cunt mainlander Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    Actually a further fix is required - the total rework of the stacks to either segregate the Orcs from the Undead, or to replace them with Undead. For some reason Undead units don't like being stacked with a neutral-relations Evil (not Pure Evil) race. Interesting.... sometimes they rebel from Undead leadership as a result.

^ Top  
  23. BING XI LAO commie-cunt mainlander Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    Screenshot_73.png The true culprit has been found: Tunnelling committed by summoned Earth Elementals.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. BING XI LAO commie-cunt mainlander Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    This version changes the dirt to impervious Rock, and replaces the Orcs in these stacks.

Attached Files:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Many thanks!
    I'll let you know how it goes.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.