Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Age of Wonders 1 & 2

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
dJizbcW.png

I should use these message triggers more in my maps; might go back and add loads of them to the ones I already made. Reminds me of the simple storytelling of homm3, here

Last edited:
Vatnik
Would be useful to know if it was intended for SP or MP, and how it will affect the AI.
It will take a hell of a lot of modding to make AoW1 superior to Shadow Magic game mechanics wise when it comes to the SP experience, IMO.
It will make the AI use its heroes a little more agrressively. It makes a long campaign quite challenging in SP by making heroes a lot weaker, and by making it harder to garrison, supress and migrate hostile cities. Archers are no longer god-tier, and unit upkeep by tier is 2/5/10/15 instead of 4/6/8/10. Various spells and abilities do more damage, except for Archery, Hurl Stones, and Poison Darts, which thankfully do much less (only shooting half as much as before). Spellcasting I/II/III/IV/V no longer gives 10/20/30/40/50 casting points, now it's 5/10/20/40/80, though this may've been rescaled since.

Also, it has this kewl vision effect where the furthest hex of vision is 'explored fog of war' where you only know the terrain, like an area explored and then departed from. See spoiler.

Overall AoW+ is very good for SP, specifically long campaigns and large maps. For MP, I hope the guy graces with a version that rebuffs heroes, and makes various things happens far quicker (research, migration, rebuilding, etc).
rg6ya14.png

Also, the campaign has been improved so that you can play with the lizardmen, then return to your original elf/darkelf faction for the last part of the campaign. In the original campaign setup, siding with the lizards came with a warning that it would merely annoy Julia/Meandor, but then you find that they've cast you out entirely, which wasn't really justified. The guy making it also seems to be making mild map improvements to the campaign and may eventually make his own campaign, based on the Late Bronze Age collapse and covering the original fall of the Elven Court to the Human hordes.

My Sword and Sorcery Ruleset (in the OP) now comes with a version that's slightly tweaked, intended to fit in with AoW+'s archery nerfs and reduction in tier1 upkeep.

vota DC

Augur
Also, the campaign has been improved so that you can play with the lizardmen, then return to your original elf/darkelf faction for the last part of the campaign. In the original campaign setup, siding with the lizards came with a warning that it would merely annoy Julia/Meandor, but then you find that they've cast you out entirely, which wasn't really justified. The guy making it also seems to be making mild map improvements to the campaign and may eventually make his own campaign, based on the Late Bronze Age collapse and covering the original fall of the Elven Court to the Human hordes.

My Sword and Sorcery Ruleset (in the OP) now comes with a version that's slightly tweaked, intended to fit in with AoW+'s archery nerfs and reduction in tier1 upkeep.

That is cute. Lizardmen could win their campaign but shortly after you ally with factions that despise them and genocide them. Now they will get a good end. Also Azrac Empire can survive if you choose Lizardmen over Orcs and then Dark Elves.
Julia declare you heretic because you attack dwarves that prefers invading Lizardmen and Humans lands instead of defending their homeland.
Not sure about Meandor: he doesn't kick Talic from the Cult, it is Talic decision to betray the Cult because Meandor hides after the return of Inioch. Yeah, the results are the same.

Vatnik
Lagi I've updated the OP with your GoG thread of fixed graphics.

Also I lied when I said I was was mostly done with my ruleset. I am still updating it, but only the base-game version, not the AoW+ variant. The updates are fairly minor anyway, like unit descriptions, or making the Dwarf gold medal ability from Night Vision to Fire Immunity (First Born lore).

Lagi

Savant
finally someone notice my pixel talent :cool: (you should edit link to 1st page, not 2nd)

oh no... a treason! I dont care, nobody gonna play my mediocre half-mod except me.

I have my fork mod done. It imba a lot. I would appreciate if you could have a look at the changed units. Will make a list later.

Vatnik
I only have strong opinions about balancing t1s, t2s, maybe heroes. T3s and t4s are too rarely seen for me to have a strong opinion on how strong they are, except for obvious points like Reapers being weak, Air Galleys being strong.
Which is why I'd be interested to see another modding approach!

Vatnik
Took a day off and spent some it expanding AoW lore. This time it's the Azracs, and I decided to invent quite a lot from whole cloth.

r_azrac.gif
BOWMAN

Azrac bows take a recurve shape, and some are skilfully layered with bone and wood. But this archery tradition comes from low-caste tribes, those which were among the last to submit to Yaka. The most zealous Azrac warriors prefer to risk themselves in melee, leaving archery to levies and militiamen. These troops are no more skilled than the archers of other races, even if their tools are finer.
YptHCyd.png
SWORDSMAN
In ancient times, Azrac infantry would skirmish with slings, javelins and bows, always ready to retreat from a difficult battle. Since the rise of Yaka's faith, this approach has been replaced by tight-knit bands of fanatics who charge into melee wielding heavy single-edged scimitars. These footsoldiers are lightly armored, and deride those who wear armour in the hot climate as 'cauldrons'.
U_Scorp.gif
SCORPION
The most vicious tool of Azrac beastmasters are trained scorpions. These are tame and docile with men wearing certain scents, such as the chives popular among Azrac troops. Placed in a house or camp, the smaller type of scorpion will lurk until darkness falls, or find crannies such as boots to hide in. These are a potent assassin's tool.

Others are the size of a large dog, and still possess a share of their smaller brothers' venom. Their hard exoskeletons and large pincers make them usable in battle.

Giant Scorpions can move undetected in caves and desert, and can climb town walls.
U_Eleph.gif
ELEPHANT
Elephants appear ponderous, but they can comfortably travel a hundred miles from one watering hole to the next, and their charge in battle is devastating. When Elephants break the gates of an enemy town, the Yakamajal praise their strength as symbolic of the Azrac nation, but otherwise take little interest, associating beasts with the low-caste beastmasters who tend to them.

Under an ancient cult of water and the moon, Elephants had a more prominent role, revered instead for their long memory and peaceful hearts. Several remote oases were discovered by Azrac parties following the footsteps of a migrating herd. In the old festivals, these intelligent beasts held place of honour, and gentle music was played for them to listen. These old rites are remembered only by the elderly in remote settlements, and none dare speak the moon faith's name for fear of Yakamajal scrying-spells.
nfIzfVR.png
YAKAMAJAL PRIEST

Azrac priests are called the Yakamajal, meaning "The Will of Yaka." They worship the ageless, all-seeing Azrac king-god, Yaka. The priest caste is the living embodiment of Yaka's will in the world. They lead his chosen people as teachers, headsmen, and judges, enforcers of Yaka's Code.

Like other priests, the Yakamajal project magical bolts with greater skill than Shamans or Clerics, and are harder to strike. They are immune to fire, and impress their subjects by entering sacred pyres in the course of public worship, from which they draw the right to wield Yaka's own flames in judgement. Though sanctimonious, they will heal those wounded in the course of honour. They can dispel infidel magic, and possess the power to repel the Yakamapu, meaning "The Waste of Yaka," more commonly known as the Undead. The most accomplished Yakamajal can project Yaka's will on lesser minds.
IY2X9BV.png
RIDER
The Azracs are the first recorded race to domesticate the horse. Their horses are legendary for their stamina and strength, even in blistering desert heat. The finest breeds have been kept under close guard ever since some were stolen by Human emissaries centuries ago.

Foregoing heavy armor, these troops rely upon their steed's swiftness and the length of their cavalry sabers. Along with the Elves of Silvanus, Azrac Riders are the most skilled cavalry scouts in Athla, and are the highest of the non-priestly castes in their society.

Like all of their race, Azrac cavalry are resistant to intense heat, and the most experienced can evade the sight of enemy scouts when travelling the desert.
U_FWorm.gif
SANDWORM
Sandworms are huge annelids indigenous to dusty plains and semi-desert. They hunt animals and humans, lying in wait underground until the sound of footfalls alerts them to nearby prey. When starving, they will also strip the bark and leaves from trees. Dry soil and sand is their homeland; in damper environments, they must travel aboveground or fall ill.

Training these animals is difficult, but they are not as stupid as their brutish appearance might suggest. Azrac beastmasters have learned to use a system of drumbeat rhythms, along with gifts of cattle, to communicate with the great worms, developing a rapport over several months with an adult sandworm. Attempts to domesticate these creatures from birth have failed, as juveniles lack the necessary intelligence.

Sandworms concealed in dunes, plains, or cave dirt can ambush enemies. The beasts have the strength to break city walls, and their circular maws are perfect for digging tunnels.
U_Behold.gif
BEHOLDER
The Beholder's spherical body consists of a central eye and a wide maw lined with sharp teeth. Squirming eye-stalks make this monster impossible to surprise.

Beholders prefer to inhabit abandoned forts or cities in the heat of a jungle or desert - places where civilisation first held sway, then fell. There, they gather in humid silence above pools of water and gaze into the past, searching for something.

The Azracs have come to revere Beholders as Yakamaheli, 'Eyes of Yaka', and believe they have been sent to watch over Yaka's favoured race. Beholders fight alongside the Azracs to foster such notions, but they grow uncomfortable in the presence of a Yaka Avatar, and try to keep their distance.

Beholders float magically, and their gaze can kill instantly from afar. Those who would fight a Beholder in melee may flee under supernatural terror, or be mentally dominated. Beholders can see through all distances and deceit. They are resistant to magic, and the oldest are immune.
U_Djinn.gif
DJINN
Djinni are spirits of the smokeless flame. From a sandstorm, these beings can take a partly corporeal form, which will then last several months. Azrac sorcerers learned the rules which govern bargains with the Djinni, whose own magical powers are considerable. For an era, every Azrac city of note was ruled by a petty mage-king allied to one or more Djinni, and the logic of a Djinn-bargain became reflected in the wording of social codes and laws. Yet when these mage-kings fought one another, their Djinni patrons never came to blows save in jest.

Under the rule of the Yakamajal, there are no independent magicians able to strike such bargains. The Yakamajal possess that knowledge, but the dogma of their faith accords special status to Djinni, requiring that no demands be made of them. Instead the Djinni aid the Azracs infrequently, for secret motivations.

Djinni are skilled swordsmen who can float, fire magic bolts, and are invisible to mortal eyes from a distance.
U_Yaka.gif
YAKA AVATAR

According to legend, were Yaka himself to set foot in Athla, the intense heat would melt the world, folding it like a scroll. Since this has not yet happened yet, it is presumed that he remains aloof.

Yet the God does make his presence felt. When their mortal armies falter, the Yakamajal priests turn to their God, investing His presence into a statue bearing the symbols of divine kingship. These vessels walk under the power of priestly sorcery, but it is Yaka Himself who looks forth from painted eyes.

Avatars under Yaka’s possession can be destroyed, but not easily. They are immune to the powers of life and death. Just as flames bend to serve Yaka, so do the flickering thoughts of men. Yaka's followers are emboldened by the presence of an Avatar, while weak-willed enemies kneel.

Last edited:
Vatnik
AoW1 definitely has better artwork, AoW2 can only compete because it's less technically primitive. Then AoW3 looks like a civ5 mod :argh:

I've seen a fair few ancient forum posts made by people who were disappointed by AoW2 Yaka. Would've been better to have a Yakamajal hierophant as the Wizard, it's sad to drop mystery only to reveal nothing behind the curtain. But in general AoW2 lore doesn't have a patch on AoW1, Ray Bingham used up all his ideas on AoW1, by his own admission.

Frankly I did have Yaka in mind as some sort of powerful, monstruous impostor when I was writing those descriptions, but I didn't think of anything cooler than the mystery, so why break it. Also maybe he really could be a higher being like you say, maybe even one with some kind of cosmic presence, or at least an awareness of the Highmen's multiverse agenda. Maybe, in the Undead endings, he'd be powerful enough to flee Athla? That'd be one measure of power for such a being.

Silly Germans

Good descriptions.

Am I the only one who always pretended that the Yaka of 2 was an imposter? Really doesn't jive with the powerful monotheistic fire god of the Azracs, whose religion seemed to parallel Islam with a dash of Zoroastrism.

I don't know why, but I find AOW1 to be the most aesthetic of the AOW games. Sure AOW2/SM are very beautiful, but the AOW1 is just incredibly pretty and immersive.
I agree, the art and the music of AoW 1 are the best of the series. It is also very readable and has a good interface. AoW 2 is also decent although some art elements don't mix well with the rest and stand out to much. The worst of the bunch is AoW 3. The popups and the floating text on the right side in AoW 3 are terrible, and the overland map is hard to read, unless you zoom out.

Vatnik
New map under way: it'll have some crazy shit, everyone will be able to use Call Hero to get a Spellcasting V hero reliably every time. NO LIMITS, LOADS OF WIZARDS. As well as seducers to recruit them. Also people will have dragons that are also heroes, because this one will use my mod.
It will be called, The Mind Forges of Phrapilad.
44Qe1WJ.png
rHYoymJ.png
zfnqgPz.png
tyIfvkP.png
GIcvVyB.png
u0pOVKB.png

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I can't keep track of things longer...but there's two recent AOW1 mods that rebalance the game, isn't it? AOW+ and?
Anyway, which one is recommended for single player? I'm not really interested in that illusive "balance", but in anything that enhances the AI and evens the playing field somewhat.

Last edited:

Lagi

Savant
personally (all in first page):
  1. bug fix - otherwise there is errors popup quite often
  2. AoW+ - lots of great changes, hero nerf, less gold, less mana income, cheaper infantry, more expensive monster, ports grant income. Race relations and high rebel chance, make AoW1 a completely new experience. Seeing own race uprise from enemy, and then merging rebels back under your banner, is a sweet gambit IMO.
  3. southern mod - greatly tweak of unit stats, and cost of hero skills. I love f.ex hard to hit, but still squishy infantry (def 4). Other mods add f.ex. unreadable pictures + nudity (thirsk), or the stats twist are too much of a power gaming.
  4. scroll of swiftness - this few key shortcut more, really speed up the game, because you spend less time on mouse clicking to f.ex open the spell book.
  5. cheat engine - speed up the game 4x. So the tactical combat is bearable.
i also like the visuals much more, with more blue Frostling flag, and not independent gray flag at all - the map is more readable.

... im still casual, who just like to have lots of poor guys with shield, with 2x dragons here and there to spice things - classic depiction of fantasy.

Vatnik
I can't keep track of things longer...but there's two recent AOW1 mods that rebalance the game, isn't it? AOW+ and?
Anyway, which one is recommended for single player? I'm not really interested in that illusive "balance", but in anything that enhances the AI and evens the playing field somewhat.
AoW+ is designed for single player, much to my chagrin. It makes very minor alterations to the AI, but the income changes and city changes do make singleplayer vs AI a much more challenging and interesting experience. It's the third link in the description.
Since AoW+ is an engine mod, not a release folder mod, you can have both an engine mod and a release folder mod. There are a lot of those 'Rulesets' at aowheaven because anyone can make one using the DevEd tool, and you really should use one, since basically all of them make spells cheaper. Base game's costing for combat spells is absurdly high.

Naturally I recommend my own Sword and Sorcery Ruleset, though Inioch's Ruleset is also under recent maintenance.
Even someone disinterested in balance will prefer to have some heavy beefing up for some T3 units which are really wimpy otherwise and +DEF on swordsmen. There's a lot of flavour changes like Giants and Titans having extra vision range, differentiated abilities/stats for the three types of holyman (Priests, Clerics, and Shamans), Nymphs and Fairies cannot punch/kick people any more, and Dragon/Slaying Slaying have been reworked into the more relevant Monster/Monster Slaying. Link is in description.

Vatnik
I just remembered, didn't you make a Ruleset yourself? Which one was it?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
This is kind of disheartening:
JX8So8l.png

Last Stand Before Destruction is perhaps not the best map to test AoW+ with, but it showcases a problem with the new leveling up system when you start with high level heroes. If they don't start with crucial skills like Wall Climbing it can take a while for them to catch up.

Vatnik
Yep, halving skillpoint gain per level and doubling the cost of DEF means both the default hero library and the high level heroes in scenarios are a bit broken :M:M
When/If And G (the AoW+ guy) makes his campaign, then you will have something that's fully suited to the changes.
Ruleset mods are only able to mess heroes by altering the cost of skills (except multilevelled skills like Marksmanship), so there are only minor issues from those.

I was thrilled by AoW+ at first, but I really hate a design philosophy which is willing to restrict gameplay for the sake of realism, and which is a bit 'negative' and trying to get rid of broken things.
Also he is a little bit 'typical modder' in his willingness to totally rework things, such as by halving skillpoint gain per level, while also making levels come more quickly, and also changing the XP income mechanics. I find that it's best to avoid changing everything at once.

Then again, he has graciously offered to make us a submod at GoG, to our specifications, so I shouldn't kvetch too much.

Lagi

Savant
dudes, the negative balance is good. I want to play with armies, not with comic heroes.
"typical modder" would never dare to nerf anything... its always like - "check my cool mod, you can now fart fire inferno from your ass every time you want"

I agree, although i dont understand the reasons behind some change: like skill point/2 , but level freq *2.
to have more fun i guess, but i find it rather annoying that i need to tinker with level up screen twice as often.

Vatnik
The most important steps are enabling 2-step verification in your gmail acc and then inputting an app-specific password into the wrapper.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom