Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wonders 4

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Turtling tends to not work in PvP in general, yes, except when your name is FatSlob. The problem with T4 domination is that other units tend to fall to the wayside and we get no gameplay mileage out of them, while some of them can be interesting and worth playing with.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Turtling tends to not work in PvP in general, yes, except when your name is FatSlob. The problem with T4 domination is that other units tend to fall to the wayside and we get no gameplay mileage out of them, while some of them can be interesting and worth playing with.
I searched for that player, and wateched nearly 2 hour long video of the game... Yea it was relatively fast game for him.

Johannes

Arcane
Defensive play can definitely work in most games, but needs to adapt to what the opponent is doing. You need to have some sort of economic or tech advantage in mind, just the right amount of defences to firstly not die and secondly to not fall behind.

Ideally you always want to be able to attack, defend, or eco depending on how the game develops, but if in doubt, attacking is what lets you dictate the pace of the game instead of being forced to react.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
The best news from AoW4 releasing is that there's virtually no chance Paradox will put out a fantasy map painter any time soon. Or a fantasy character based map painter. Great news for Axioms.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
AoW3 has race + class + magic school
It's not "+magic school", it's 3 perk picks that you can mix and match however you want, giving you incredible amount of possible combos, often with great and interesting synergies. And a lot of those combos go outside spells/units and refer to stuff like: climate warfare (not a thing in PF; climate warfare in general gutted to the point of non-existence); various alignment shticks (not a thing in PF; alignment in general gutted to the point of non-existence); upgrades and changes on the strategic layer (not a thing in PF at all).
PF has race + tech + neutral faction alliance
Neutral faction alliance? That's not a choice. Also, in AoW3 you actually get the city with economy benefits and unique buildings, in PF it's just a couple of mods that might/might not be useful to you. Side note: the neutral faction system is imo one of the biggest trainwrecks in PF, dropping the conquest/absorb system for them to constantly spam you with same three quests over and over to farm gud boi points. Not to mention that it was utterly broken for a very long time and on higher difficulties AI players would constantly get into wars with neutral factions and then get wiped out :lol:
The only way race choice impacts class choice is racial modifiers of units (orcs deal slightly more melee damage, goblins have slightly less HP but are slightly cheaper)
?? Race gives quite a lot of class units different abilities, weapons or damage channels - this is one of the coolest things about the system. It also exists in PF, but there's just very little class units there. And, unsurprisingly, whenever it actually appears in PF it's the cornerstone of the cool combos, not just the mods/secret techs themselves.
and racial governance bonuses, which are not that interesting (I looked it up - most bonuses up to tier 3 usually amount to something like your specific tier 1 or 2 units gaining an extra point of damage or some bonus HP. The only ones that can truly synergize with your class units appear late in the game and affect all units of X type)
Vast majority of the bonuses are impactful and some of them are extremely impactful and important for particular combos (like solidifying frostlings' claim to the title of best sorcerers). The fact that the higher the xp the bigger, more significant the bonus is supposed to be some sort of argument against? Also, no matter how much you try to dismiss this as "b... but I don't like it", it does not change the fact that it's yet another system that's completely missing in PF and fuck all was offered in its place.
The only way class choice impacts race choice is through global upgrades, like dreadnought giving all cavalry pistols or priest giving healing to all caster units, of which there are very few.
Very few? Your choices impact your units in quite a lot of ways. Let's take one of the more popular racial t1 units - longbowman. Now see what does the combo of racial xp, druid as a class and air magic as one of the perks does for it.
Necromancer is an exception to this, but necromancer kinda just plays its own game. It affects the chosen race significantly, but it affects all races in pretty much the same way.
Why are you trying to make this sound as some sort of a "but"? Necro's implementation is one of the coolest things about AoW3 (and, imo, about modern strategy games in general). Where's PF development of the idea of asymmetrical options with their own take on many basic systems? It literally has a race of strogg scavenging flesh to fuse it with machines that uses 100% exactly the same banal shit boring food/growth mechanic as everyone else. Absolutely pathetic.
Magic school choice doesn't really affect your race/class units
Excuse me? Even before the massive incline of dlcs, stuff like Explorer? Hello?
-Race choice can affect your secret tech units by allowing you to put your race specific upgrades on those units
-Reverse also applies
Exactly, mods, that's all there is to PF. But I don't see how this pertains to this particular discussion since PF is all about races and even though tech have a bit of mods themselves, they largely just coexist and that's it. And even if they do synergize, how many different arc mods do you need/want/can stack.
Upgrades can change how the units work in significant ways
Yes, they can. It's a very rich and interesting system on paper. Then you actually play the game and realize that you pick a dmg channel plus, maybe, a debuff connected to it, stack +% mods on units to the extent your cosmite income allows for and fluently win the game before half of the theorycrafting options come online. And even if they came online earlier it wouldn't change much, really. I had some fun coming up with different things. I noticed how syndicate purifiers are indentured out of the box and all the indenture modifiers apply to them while all the indenture buffing syndicate units use psi dmg channel and psi tech tree has a mod early on that makes psi attacks thermal and lets them apply burn. Cool combo that is online p much from the start. Can I come with other examples like that? Hm, not really. Did it make the game not suck and help forget about all the AoW3 stuff that is completely missing here? Well, that's a hard no, unfortunately.

Johannes

Arcane
The best news from AoW4 releasing is that there's virtually no chance Paradox will put out a fantasy map painter any time soon. Or a fantasy character based map painter. Great news for Axioms.
Man, I can't believe they still didn't make an Age of Wonders GSG. I mean, its like money sitting on the table, right there. They have the knife and the cheese, as we say in Brazil. Just get CKIII's code and go from there. Imagine a Fantasy GSG with overland spells, enchantements, strong character play, etc etc. Its like, right there.

Screw you Paradox, I wanted to play as Based Meandor Nothing Wronging the Blessed Continent during the era of the First game.
Or just make a good AoW game

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Man, I can't believe they still didn't make an Age of Wonders GSG. I mean, its like money sitting on the table, right there. They have the knife and the cheese, as we say in Brazil. Just get CKIII's code and go from there. Imagine a Fantasy GSG with overland spells, enchantements, strong character play, etc etc. Its like, right there.

Screw you Paradox, I wanted to play as Based Meandor Nothing Wronging the Blessed Continent during the era of the First game.
Well I dunno about strong character play, since CK3 is not turn based and can't do fancy character stuff. But yeah otherwise it would probably work great.

Johannes

Arcane
Fired up AoW3. While a lot of the mechanics are interesting, it's just too hard to get an interesting game. The AI is so braindead and doesn't even understand the game mode properly - even when I pit myself against highest level AIs teamed together, when I got 2 good victories against one of them, that AI surrenders and gives me their capital (plus their leader as a hero and an accompanying army - way easier and faster than me having to capture it), basically doubling my eco in an instant and screwing the rest of the team.

And it's a poor fit for MP, since either you have the simultaneous turn clusterfuck for movement and no tactical combat vs independents, or consequent turns and no tactical combat between players.

So what game mode is this game supposed to be good at? Is there some mod that would if not make the AI if not smarter, at least make it cheat better?

Never mind any of the exact mechanical differences, if AoW4 doesn't address this basic problem I don't see it as worth playing at all for someone who doesn't suck at strategy games.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
AI is terrible at 4X games, more news at 11. Enable the Seals victory condition, that might fix some of your issues. As for MP, there's usually no combat vs independents, yes, otherwise a turn would take forever. Either way, combat vs independents is a bit of a sketchy proposition in these games anyway. It's too easy to heal up after that and you rarely find an independent group that is even a close match to your forces. There is almost 0 attrition because of it, so the only point to fighting independents is leveling up your units.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fallen Enchantress AI could at least put up a fight every now and then. Until you discover the most broken unit you could create.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
AoW3 AI seemed p standard fare for this type of game to me? Not hard to beat, but at least it did stuff like building/maintaining strong stacks and moving them in tandem properly. Scenario editor also allows to turn AI surrendering off, not sure if it's an option from the game setup menu level and can't check now.

Would not expect major breakthroughs in AoW4. PF AI was utterly retarded with stuff like doomsday weapons victories or the fact that it would routinely get wiped out by minor factions.

Lacrymas

Arcane
AoW3's AI also sometimes leaves the leader of the faction without a big army, making it easy to kill him and then take out his capital (which it often leaves with few to no defenders as well) to win the whole game.

Johannes

Arcane
Standard, maybe, it's garbage in any case. At least give the AI some higher difficulty levels that cheat more, so you don't have to go out of your way to create a carefully made custom scenario just to have a basic challenge. Even if building forts, etc, would be too much to ask to code in.
For the surrendering, realized you can still decline it at least.

Mechanically, I enjoyed spamming civic guards as a Human Explorer Warlord a lot. You get the through the Raise Militia spell, so don't have to waste production turns of your towns on it. And with the nets added for them from the human governance bonus, and extra movement from explorer research, they become crazy good for their cost (and have basically no upkeep, unlike other summoned stuff).
Otoh really dislike how the merchandise etc options really discourage you from building stuff in most of your cities, since you have to not just pay the cost of making the buildings and units, but also the cost of not merchandising during those turns.

Suicidal

Arcane
It's not "+magic school", it's 3 perk picks that you can mix and match however you want, giving you incredible amount of possible combos, often with great and interesting synergies. And a lot of those combos go outside spells/units and refer to stuff like: climate warfare (not a thing in PF; climate warfare in general gutted to the point of non-existence); various alignment shticks (not a thing in PF; alignment in general gutted to the point of non-existence); upgrades and changes on the strategic layer (not a thing in PF at all).
Isn't climate stuff already gutted in AoW3 compared to previous AoWs? All you can do is repaint the terrain to your race's preferred color.
Neutral faction alliance? That's not a choice. Also, in AoW3 you actually get the city with economy benefits and unique buildings, in PF it's just a couple of mods that might/might not be useful to you. Side note: the neutral faction system is imo one of the biggest trainwrecks in PF, dropping the conquest/absorb system for them to constantly spam you with same three quests over and over to farm gud boi points. Not to mention that it was utterly broken for a very long time and on higher difficulties AI players would constantly get into wars with neutral factions and then get wiped out :lol:
What I meant was that neutral faction alliance is one of the things that influences your army composition/behavior, through mods and their unique units. It's not really a choice (unless it's a very big map where there are 3-4 different neutral factions, from my experience you can effectively suck up to 2, maybe you can do more with some diplomacy-focused build), but spawning next to different factions will influence how you play the game depending on the faction/tech. I agree that this system is shoddily implemented, they could have done much better.
?? Race gives quite a lot of class units different abilities, weapons or damage channels - this is one of the coolest things about the system. It also exists in PF, but there's just very little class units there. And, unsurprisingly, whenever it actually appears in PF it's the cornerstone of the cool combos, not just the mods/secret techs themselves.
I honestly don't remember much about this. I'll need to replay 3 before 4 comes out. Looking at the wiki just shows those default bonuses that I mentioned.
Vast majority of the bonuses are impactful and some of them are extremely impactful and important for particular combos (like solidifying frostlings' claim to the title of best sorcerers). The fact that the higher the xp the bigger, more significant the bonus is supposed to be some sort of argument against? Also, no matter how much you try to dismiss this as "b... but I don't like it", it does not change the fact that it's yet another system that's completely missing in PF and fuck all was offered in its place.
Look at this:
TSPXYQw.png

First 3 upgrades are extremely boring and have no bearing on your class units. The eco upgrades are pretty boring too, except for champion upgrade. The prophet upgrade, I'm not sure - do frostling variants of class units like manticore riders get frost weapons? If yes then it's quite impactful. Deity upgrade is impactful if your class has casters, but it's quite possible that you will end the game by the time you reach it. I have a lot more fun thinking about which mods I can stick on my basic infantry in PF than whether I should give extra HP to a unit that will become irrelevant in 10 turns.
Very few? Your choices impact your units in quite a lot of ways. Let's take one of the more popular racial t1 units - longbowman. Now see what does the combo of racial xp, druid as a class and air magic as one of the perks does for it.
Yes, Druid giving ranged units bleeding is one of those class upgrades that can impact your racial units. I believe every class has one of them, which makes them very few in number, which is what I said.
Why are you trying to make this sound as some sort of a "but"? Necro's implementation is one of the coolest things about AoW3 (and, imo, about modern strategy games in general). Where's PF development of the idea of asymmetrical options with their own take on many basic systems? It literally has a race of strogg scavenging flesh to fuse it with machines that uses 100% exactly the same banal shit boring food/growth mechanic as everyone else. Absolutely pathetic.
All I'm saying is that necromancer affects every race significantly, but in the same way.
I hope you will forgive me if I don't find stuff like this terribly interesting:
mIOY9O2.png

Exactly, mods, that's all there is to PF. But I don't see how this pertains to this particular discussion since PF is all about races and even though tech have a bit of mods themselves, they largely just coexist and that's it. And even if they do synergize, how many different arc mods do you need/want/can stack.
It has everything to do with the discussion because what I've been saying all along is that I like how you can mix and match different parts of your race/class/neutral faction tech and have basically a different army every game, even when playing as the same race. Like my assembly + voidtech example. My army consisted of assembly energy weapon units + voidtech flying support units (forgot the names) that I stuck a bunch of energy weapon mods on + the imperial melee spearmen that I also gave a bunch of energy upgrades to. I could play another game of voidtech assembly and do physical damage + melee focus cause voidtech lets you do shit like go through walls/teleport/interrupt enemy attacks on your units. Or I could pick another tech. Are most of those combinations in any way effective or viable? Fuck no. But I'm not an aspiring PF pro player so I don't care about effectiveness. They are good enough to let you beat highest difficulty bots.

Meanwhile in AoW3 if I play something like Frostling Theocrat, the progression of my army would be the same every game, and if I picked Tigran Theocrat it would still play very similarly to Frostling Theocrat (you start the game using your racial units, and eventually transition to angel + shrine spam). Part of the problem is that in AoW3 it's too easy to transition to T4 spam and T4s can beat pretty much everything else, while in PF they are harder to get to and don't automatically win against your T1s and T2s.

P.S. I feel bad shitting up this thread with these quote wars

Suicidal

Arcane
Fired up AoW3. While a lot of the mechanics are interesting, it's just too hard to get an interesting game. The AI is so braindead and doesn't even understand the game mode properly - even when I pit myself against highest level AIs teamed together, when I got 2 good victories against one of them, that AI surrenders and gives me their capital (plus their leader as a hero and an accompanying army - way easier and faster than me having to capture it), basically doubling my eco in an instant and screwing the rest of the team.

And it's a poor fit for MP, since either you have the simultaneous turn clusterfuck for movement and no tactical combat vs independents, or consequent turns and no tactical combat between players.

So what game mode is this game supposed to be good at? Is there some mod that would if not make the AI if not smarter, at least make it cheat better?

Never mind any of the exact mechanical differences, if AoW4 doesn't address this basic problem I don't see it as worth playing at all for someone who doesn't suck at strategy games.

I always made fun of AI in AoW3 and PF, but I started playing AoW1 campaigns (I guess I'll marathon the series before 4 comes out) and I'm shocked at how retarded the AI is. It makes the AI in modern AoWs seem genius in comparison. It frequently splits up its huge mega stacks when standing in front of my army, which makes it much easier for me to pick off and kill them. During sieges, it charges at me from behind city walls even when its units outrange mine. In one mission, where you have to rebuild a bunch of dwarven cities underground, I was exploring with a drill unit and met a huge enemy army consisting of 3 stacks in a narrow tunnel, but because the stack standing next to my drill was only a few tier 1 units (with bigger 8 stacks with t3 units behind it) it was afraid to attack my drill (which isn't even a combat unit) and kept moving its 3 stacks back from it, and then moving it in front of the drill again, in the exact same order.

Last edited:

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Its strange that the AI rarely moves its leader to safety in AoWIII, even when you are clearly starting to amass troops on the doorsteps of the town he's currently residing in. I've often won by taking the residence town + leader in one strike, vs empires that had much more units/towns than I had. And it was not like I did some sneaky shit. I just moved my units to the town, turn-by-turn, until he was surrounded. That is something that immediately stands out as stupid behavior since this wouldn't work against any normal human. An improved AI would really be a very big plus. But that is something that goes for almost all games. Good enemy AI is still a rarity and it feels like one of the aspects of games that has been stagnating for ages, with no major improvements in sight. I don't think I know a single game with the scope of the AoW series with good AI across the board.

Suicidal

Arcane
I hope you will forgive me if I don't find stuff like this terribly interesting:
mIOY9O2.png
Nah that is really cool if you use irregular units a lot, allows you to run all over the map. Much more gamechanging than getting a rando new spell
Aren't irregulars mostly just shitty scouts? From the description of the skills seems like sphinxes are irregular, but the movement speed bonus doesn't affect them and IIRC they were flying so they'd get nothing useful from the terrain movement bonuses as well. Were there other high tier irregular units?

Blutwurstritter

Learned
mIOY9O2.png
Nah that is really cool if you use irregular units a lot, allows you to run all over the map. Much more gamechanging than getting a rando new spell
Aren't irregulars mostly just shitty scouts? From the description of the skills seems like sphinxes are irregular, but the movement speed bonus doesn't affect them and IIRC they were flying so they'd get nothing useful from the terrain movement bonuses as well. Were there other high tier irregular units?
Rogue assassins are probably the unit that benefits the most from this. But warlord also has monster hunters, which become extremely mobile with this at 40 movement points and basically all forms of movement. Rogue tigran would have been extremely powerful if this had applied to sphinxes, which is why they are exempt.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Even if racial governance bonuses were actually underwhelming (they aren't), it's still more than what we get in PF. PF's 4X elements are very passive in comparison imo.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
All you can do is repaint the terrain to your race's preferred color.
Well, that's a highly disingenuous way of putting it, because there are a lot of ways you can change terrain/climate and then a proverbial shitton ways to capitalize on it. It's a very rich and interesting system and PF has a gaping hole in its place.
What I meant was that neutral faction alliance is one of the things that influences your army composition/behavior, through mods and their unique units. It's not really a choice (unless it's a very big map where there are 3-4 different neutral factions, from my experience you can effectively suck up to 2, maybe you can do more with some diplomacy-focused build), but spawning next to different factions will influence how you play the game depending on the faction/tech. I agree that this system is shoddily implemented, they could have done much better.
I never felt like it did, although I guess in theory it is possible, like many other things in PF. There are some early mods that can be beneficial for you (but it's purely random) - furry leg mod is gud if you go melee (PF protip: don't go melee), laser melt autonom mod is ok, paragon have a good one for infantry. But as soon as you unlock more of your tech tree it becomes p much completely irrelevant. When it comes to units I don't think I ever used them. The only option that seems strong on paper are autonom with networking bonuses and punisher unit, but I still never felt the need to bother with unwieldy gud boi points economy to get something out of it when it's nowhere near impactful enough, let alone necessary. In AoW3 you could crank out neutral units just as everything else and some of them were really good in certain setups (like water maps) while others were just universally great. But even if you weren't interested in neutral units at all (which admittedly happened very often), you still got the city with its economy and ground control. I have to repeat myself that I really, REALLY dislike the implementation of neutrals in PF and things like research quests blocking your tech for multiple turns is yet another example of the devs suddenly losing the comprehension of how their game works/plays on basic level. The anomaly system expecting your main stack to sit idle for many turns is another striking example of that.
I honestly don't remember much about this. I'll need to replay 3 before 4 comes out. Looking at the wiki just shows those default bonuses that I mentioned.
It's the same thing that PF does. In PF dvar purifiers have barricades while amazon echo walker is mounted. In AoW3 tigran hunters have shredder blades and halfing reanimators morale boosting. AoW3 has more of this due to being class-focused.
Look at this
Yeah, I'm looking. L1 military upgrade is "boring", because harpoon thrower happens to be a bad unit. There are good l1 upgrades, though, some were already given itt. L2 and 3 military upgrades are strong boosts for good units and economy ones are universally great. Then you can factor in the actual synergies, which is the point I'm trying to hammer in, like combining the royal guard upgrade with abilities that necromancer and/or shadowborn gives you.
Yes, Druid giving ranged units bleeding is one of those class upgrades that can impact your racial units.
It starts with bleeding, but then you get lost of other bonuses from racial and perk choices that make already one of the best scaling t1 units much, much better. Because interesting combos.
I believe every class has one of them, which makes them very few in number, which is what I said.
Lolnope. Seriously, you don't seem to remember AoW3 much or weren't paying a lot of attention. Druid alone, if we're sticking to that example, has multiple upgrades that affect summoned, monster, animal, archer and support units across the board. Necro has upgrades that vary from boosting p much everything across the board to strong infantry, irregular, support and pikeman-specific upgrades. Warlord boosts xp, lowers cost, gives martial arts, increases hp for different categories of units regardless of class/race. And so on. And that is class only. And then there a lot of upgrades that impact strategic layer - not a thing in PF.
All I'm saying is that necromancer affects every race significantly, but in the same way.
And all I'm saying is that PF has no unique/asymmetrical classes/races even if some of them are just begging for such mechanics. And in AoW3 there is much more to influence your build than just class.
I hope you will forgive me if I don't find stuff like this terribly interesting
I'm not sure what to do about you not finding this interesting, but those upgrades are very impactful for certain combos.
It has everything to do with the discussion because what I've been saying all along is that I like how you can mix and match different parts of your race/class/neutral faction tech and have basically a different army every game, even when playing as the same race. Like my assembly + voidtech example. My army consisted of assembly energy weapon units + voidtech flying support units (forgot the names) that I stuck a bunch of energy weapon mods on + the imperial melee spearmen that I also gave a bunch of energy upgrades to. I could play another game of voidtech assembly and do physical damage + melee focus cause voidtech lets you do shit like go through walls/teleport/interrupt enemy attacks on your units. Or I could pick another tech. Are most of those combinations in any way effective or viable? Fuck no. But I'm not an aspiring PF pro player so I don't care about effectiveness. They are good enough to let you beat highest difficulty bots.

Meanwhile in AoW3 if I play something like Frostling Theocrat, the progression of my army would be the same every game, and if I picked Tigran Theocrat it would still play very similarly to Frostling Theocrat (you start the game using your racial units, and eventually transition to angel + shrine spam).
Couple of points here:
1. You keep sticking to mods, since this is the only thing to stick to with PF, but it's a really weird comparison since that system doesn't exist in AoW3. So if you like it enough so that for you mods>perks, racial xp, strategic upgrades, limiting rng, much more robust morale/alignment mechanics, cooler and more influential landmarks, underground layer, hand-made maps and probably quite a lot of stuff I can't recall from the top of my head then sure. Personally I would see this as a steep decline even if mods were actually not largely limited to theorycrafting and more synergetic than they actually are.
2. I'm really not buying the point of "army progression" being somehow much different between the two games. Whomever you pick in PF, same units will generally be strongest and same stuff from secret tech will synergize most. The actual difference is that in PF it stops at that while AoW3 you're still far from done. I played AoW3 way more than PF (and I still played PF a lot), but never tried all the possible combos that come to my head while in PF I think I finished a game with all race+tech combos (although a lot of them once and through the retardedly quick and easy doomsday weapon launch).
3. I want to reiterate my main point against PF: despite the fact that there is only race and class to pick, a lot of those pairings are almost complete blanks that do nothing for each other. So you either focus on secret tech (which is sometimes viable, sometimes not, but never particularly interesting) or focus on race and hope that secret tech maybe has a unit or mod that is just universally great and strong regardless of matchup.
Part of the problem is that in AoW3 it's too easy to transition to T4 spam and T4s can beat pretty much everything else, while in PF they are harder to get to and don't automatically win against your T1s and T2s.
This was brought up multiple times already and while PF absolutely did solve the AoW3's problem of t4 spam, it simply did so by swinging wildly in the opposite direction. Both takes are far from ideal so it's mostly personal preference. I don't like AoW3's way much, but still prefer t4 actually being a thing in most games, instead of having to go out of your way to see them just to realize they're p meh.
P.S. I feel bad shitting up this thread with these quote wars
I don't mind tbh, as long as we're sticking to game mechanics.

Suicidal

Arcane
Well, that's a highly disingenuous way of putting it, because there are a lot of ways you can change terrain/climate and then a proverbial shitton ways to capitalize on it. It's a very rich and interesting system and PF has a gaping hole in its place.

Yeah, I'm looking. L1 military upgrade is "boring", because harpoon thrower happens to be a bad unit. There are good l1 upgrades, though, some were already given itt. L2 and 3 military upgrades are strong boosts for good units and economy ones are universally great. Then you can factor in the actual synergies, which is the point I'm trying to hammer in, like combining the royal guard upgrade with abilities that necromancer and/or shadowborn gives you.

Lolnope. Seriously, you don't seem to remember AoW3 much or weren't paying a lot of attention. Druid alone, if we're sticking to that example, has multiple upgrades that affect summoned, monster, animal, archer and support units across the board. Necro has upgrades that vary from boosting p much everything across the board to strong infantry, irregular, support and pikeman-specific upgrades. Warlord boosts xp, lowers cost, gives martial arts, increases hp for different categories of units regardless of class/race. And so on. And that is class only. And then there a lot of upgrades that impact strategic layer - not a thing in PF.

I will admit that it's been a much longer time since I last played AoW3 compared to PF, so PF is much fresher in my memory. I'll revisit it eventually before 4 comes out so I would be able to compare them more objectively.

I never felt like it did, although I guess in theory it is possible, like many other things in PF. There are some early mods that can be beneficial for you (but it's purely random) - furry leg mod is gud if you go melee (PF protip: don't go melee), laser melt autonom mod is ok, paragon have a good one for infantry. But as soon as you unlock more of your tech tree it becomes p much completely irrelevant. When it comes to units I don't think I ever used them. The only option that seems strong on paper are autonom with networking bonuses and punisher unit, but I still never felt the need to bother with unwieldy gud boi points economy to get something out of it when it's nowhere near impactful enough, let alone necessary. In AoW3 you could crank out neutral units just as everything else and some of them were really good in certain setups (like water maps) while others were just universally great. But even if you weren't interested in neutral units at all (which admittedly happened very often), you still got the city with its economy and ground control. I have to repeat myself that I really, REALLY dislike the implementation of neutrals in PF and things like research quests blocking your tech for multiple turns is yet another example of the devs suddenly losing the comprehension of how their game works/plays on basic level. The anomaly system expecting your main stack to sit idle for many turns is another striking example of that.

Alliances are much more useful than you make them out to be. Apart from the mods, getting allied faction units for good boy points is a way of quickly growing your army since they spawn instantly inside your main city, ignoring any production queues, and I often ended up in situations where I had good boy points to spare, since they're just another resource you "harvest" and there are structures on the map and society upgrades that increase your good boy point income. It's even more useful if your faction or tech has upgrades that synergize with the allied units. For example, imperial spearmen are very good if you have energy weapon tech, so you can give them shit like static shields and then use them as a melee tank stunbots. Forsaken/forgotten (I forgot what they're called) have those tanky little golems that shoot entropy bolts and can be used as an AoE artillery, that I often get no matter who I'm playing as, and they're even better if you have entropy damage tech. I was often in situations where I could buy 2-3 tier 3 allied units before I could even research tier 3 units of my own faction, which is a pretty big power spike. Would be nice to at least have the option to capture neutral cities and build their units normally, but I already said that I also think that this system could have been implemented much better.

Couple of points here:
1. You keep sticking to mods, since this is the only thing to stick to with PF, but it's a really weird comparison since that system doesn't exist in AoW3. So if you like it enough so that for you mods>perks, racial xp, strategic upgrades, limiting rng, much more robust morale/alignment mechanics, cooler and more influential landmarks, underground layer, hand-made maps and probably quite a lot of stuff I can't recall from the top of my head then sure. Personally I would see this as a steep decline even if mods were actually not largely limited to theorycrafting and more synergetic than they actually are.
2. I'm really not buying the point of "army progression" being somehow much different between the two games. Whomever you pick in PF, same units will generally be strongest and same stuff from secret tech will synergize most. The actual difference is that in PF it stops at that while AoW3 you're still far from done. I played AoW3 way more than PF (and I still played PF a lot), but never tried all the possible combos that come to my head while in PF I think I finished a game with all race+tech combos (although a lot of them once and through the retardedly quick and easy doomsday weapon launch).
3. I want to reiterate my main point against PF: despite the fact that there is only race and class to pick, a lot of those pairings are almost complete blanks that do nothing for each other. So you either focus on secret tech (which is sometimes viable, sometimes not, but never particularly interesting) or focus on race and hope that secret tech maybe has a unit or mod that is just universally great and strong regardless of matchup.

1. I already admitted that I think AoW3 is overall a better game. I don't think mods are a valid replacement for everything that PF lacks compared to AoW3 (I particularly hate how boring the map conquering and city building aspects are in that game), but I do feel that they make specifically the army-building/customizing aspect more fun than in its predecessors.
2, 3. Well I gave an example of how you can play assembly + voidtech in 2 different ways, which can also be applied to other tech + race combos. Some will definitely be more effective than others (the game is not very well balanced), but I at least did have fun trying all that stuff out and seeing what works, what doesn't.

This was brought up multiple times already and while PF absolutely did solve the AoW3's problem of t4 spam, it simply did so by swinging wildly in the opposite direction. Both takes are far from ideal so it's mostly personal preference. I don't like AoW3's way much, but still prefer t4 actually being a thing in most games, instead of having to go out of your way to see them just to realize they're p meh.

I agree that they may have nerfed T4s too much in PF. I wouldn't call them meh (they're still very powerful units), but the effort it takes to get to them often doesn't justify it. They should have either made the units weaker or not made it harder to afford them, but they did both. I hope that in 4 they will revert only 1 of those changes and not go back to how it was in AoW3.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can get units/whole armies from your vassals instantly in AoW3 too.

Reality

Learned
Planetfalll had more than just the mods...

AoW 3 Empire Upgrades roughly equivalent to Doctrines (No Cap in Aow3, Cap of 7 in Planetfall).. The AoW 3 classes had 5(Theo,Rogue,Sorc) 6(Druid,Necro) 7(Warlord,Dread) with potential from 4 more from Expander/Explorer... but I agree that a lot of them seem like they were designed to just Fatten your research list so you were less likely to get the 2-3 that you actually wanted per class.

I think Army Progression is as much about making perfect cities as actual unit mods in Planetfall, because you can easily get 6~ production bonuses for a unit,(landmarks,military engineer guild, etc) while in AoW3 Landmarks tend to boost 1 specific type of unit that your class may or may not care about. (Polearm bonuses being a consistent offender if you weren't Goblin/Frostling/Warlord because of everyone else having T1 as their only Polearm unit for instance) In some cases Production bonuses can be HIGHER than the total of the 3 Mod Slots, and those late built units can of course still have the mods on top. I feel like a Shadow Stalker / Exalted made as early as possible (Turn 22ish) or one made on turn 50 are equal, while two laser Tanks made 30 turns apart could have 3/4 armor shield, status effect resistance, innate accuracy boost before mods.

Planetfall Dwellings are fine for buying units, just build a handful of normal city's around those +5 Influence Mines (Broadcasting Station).. you could get a Tier 2 Unit every turn for just with like 2 of them + the guranteed Captiol only Influence building, even without doing quests. This is playing WITHOUT focusing on them. If you are Kirko/Syndicate and you stack influence income you can even get the Tier 4 Dwelling Unit every turn or every 2nd turn... I think the no Focus method EASILY gets equal amount of Dwelling Units as you had in AoW 3 ( with their horrendous 15 turns worth of buildings to make and 4-6 turn per individual dragon/giant) and the focus method outproduces and swarms the AI to death

I also quite like that Buildings cost Production only in Planetfall... in AoW 3, I'll build up like 2-3 cities (the ones I found on top of Flowrock Quarry), and the rest I'll either autoproduce gold as soon as I found them or build the 1st research buildings only then auto produce gold. Autoproducing is still used on many minor cities in Planetfall, but I can feel at least that one notch more involved, without feeling like I'm blocking myself from affording Units and expanding correctly like I would in AoW 3.

The Planetfall Combos vs AoW 3 Combos are a tough discussion... Technically fewer Secret Tech units were "of your race" 0(Heritor/Xeno) 1(Promethean,Synth,Voidtech) 2(Psynumbra,Celestian) making them similiar to the more race agnostic Classes in AoW3 (Dreadnought/Sorceror since the Machines/Summons didn't care about racial boosts) .. the Secret Tech Units ALL cost less research than each race's final Racial T3, and the T4 ones are the two cheapest (to research) T4 in the game. It kind of leads to a sense that they are early and midgame focused (psynumbra/heritor break the rule) since you can get a lot more combat wise with any races T3. For me the main sense of the Secret Techs actually comes from their first two mods which you can dip a few research into at the begining of the game and apply liberally to your main Racial Units - self healing, massive stagger, Action Point Reset, or the elusive +accuracy. Many Race+Race combos are stronger than Race+Secret Tech Combos (vanguard jetpacks are so much better on Non Vanguard units, Assembly/Kirko Sniper like Amazon/Vanguard for Stagger Resist to gurantee they can actually shoot every turn, etc)

I think System-Wise Planetfall beats out AOW 3... and it is especially geared to have things come online quickly in a playthrough. It falls apart in other places... mostly map generation and a dumber strategic AI on Emperor.

Suicidal

Arcane
You can get units/whole armies from your vassals instantly in AoW3 too.

IIRC you can get that from random events (when they decide to give you a gift), right? It's a bit different (and better, imo) in PF since you get a quantifiable resource you can exchange for specific units at any time you want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom