Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wushu Y/N?

yeye

Augur
The game is very ping dependent and the servers are quite bad. It can be a pain in pve, but if you're from Europe don't even think about pvping as your 500 ping makes you worthless.
It's a shame as the game seems to have some potential.

escom

Learned
Oh, they ip blocked Asian countries in Age of Wulin. Good, good, good. No fucking Viets there. I might give the game another chance in the future then.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Oh, they ip blocked Asian countries in Age of Wulin. Good, good, good. No fucking Viets there. I might give the game another chance in the future then.

Well that's something at least. Wushu is still plagued by Vietnamese alliances. I doubt the block is going to last, though. It never does.

K4T4GWK.jpg

Stokowski

Arcane
Ah jeez. The game is DOA then.

Such a shame. I really enjoyed the AoWushu world and kung-fu-fighting as a change from the usual sword'n'sorcery / run'n'gun games, but Papa Snail has had over a year to sort this shit out and have done exactly fuck-all.

Is it a knowing negligence or do they simply not understand their own game?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126213-Forced-Castration-Coming-to-Age-of-Wushu

This game should really be more popular. :lol:

The castration process lasts for two minutes, during which time random "good" NPCs will try to intervene and the player being attacked may also seek help, and even when the process is complete the likelihood of success is low; the player may only suffer "significant damage" rather than the full chop. But if the process is successful, the player will be officially castrated and will then receive an invitation to join the clan.

escom

Learned
Is it a knowing negligence or do they simply not understand their own game?

I heard wushu got some kind of update against bots. US/EU versions are not their main priority.

Priority list is something like this:

1. Chinese version. It's really popular in China.
2. Chinese console versions.
3-4. Russian and other Asian versions
5-6. US/EU

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126213-Forced-Castration-Coming-to-Age-of-Wushu

This game should really be more popular. :lol:

The castration process lasts for two minutes, during which time random "good" NPCs will try to intervene and the player being attacked may also seek help, and even when the process is complete the likelihood of success is low; the player may only suffer "significant damage" rather than the full chop. But if the process is successful, the player will be officially castrated and will then receive an invitation to join the clan.

Sounds stupid. Game is already a gank fest. Penalty system turned out to be a big crap.

The problem with this game is that it's only fun if you can play it with real life friends. If you can't then it's really boring.

Lhynn

Arcane
Latest update of the game changed it in a huge way for the better, been playing since closed beta and i can tell you this about the game.

1st, player skill based. character power is a factor, a very important one, but you can usually beat stronger people than you just by being better at it than them.
2nd. no grind, to progress your character you dont need to repeat any task, there are a lot of ways to get everything done, and money is king.
3rd. no levels actually means lots of levels, that is to say, level for your passive, level for each skill in your skillset, level for each of your meridians, that unlock as you level passives.
It also means that anyone can equip any gear, there is no arbitrary penalty for a fresh character equiping a top tier sword, because level requirements are the most retarded thing in mmos.
There is a very clear sense of progression even with the lack of a character level.
4th. martial arts, over 60 unique styles, each with its own characteristics, no 2 skillsets alike, you can learn them all, you can become the ultimate martial arts master. it is also very balanced, which is a feat in and on itself.
5th, amazingly crafted world, inmersive and faithful to the source material, detailed and consistent.
6th. offline players and npcs. offline players actually factor into gameplay and that is actually something new and interesting. npcs have a deeper effect, and your relations with them will have a factor on your AoW experience.
7th. Open world pvp, meaning the games feels like an actual world and other players like people you need to interact with.
8th. i know ive mentioned this before, but its freaking consistent, this means that they dont break the rules they have set.
9th. IT DOES NOT SCALE TO YOUR LEVEL

and finally 10th, you actually do feel like you are a martial artist in the world of jianghu, and that is more than any other mmo has ever achieved in my experience.

It does have its cons, mostly in the form of boting and hacking, but as far as ive seen its been solved since the last patch. also there are some pretty draconian policies when it comes to security, your account can get frozen for semingly harmless stuff like sending money or expensive things over to a toon you own, hasnt happened to me, but they are taking the bot and hacking problem very seriously.

Anyway, it does so many things right that im surprised people havent given it a spin to see whats it all about.

Stokowski

Arcane
In Snail's Head Office, in the near future:

Worker: Uh ... what's this? I don't believe it! Hey guys, I think an actual human player has logged in.
Colleagues: Don't be daft. Only bots play this game.
Worker: No, I'm pretty sure it's a human.
Everybody crowds round his monitor.
Boss: Ladies and gentlemen, do you realize what we're witnessing?
Everybody else: ?
Boss (peering intently at the screen): The world's most determined masochist.

Lhynn

Arcane
Whats wrong son? game too hard for you? other players too mean?
Anyway, bot problem mostly solved, havent seen any bots other than the ones that spam the chat (you can block them and problem solved).
Servers are packed with actual players (We fill guild raid teams, almost 2 of them), but then again, blue dragon never had a pop problem.
Only thing i see as an issue atm is the high ping, but that also has improved massively with the last update, code is still shit tho, so waiting for them to fix that.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Anyway, it does so many things right that im surprised people havent given it a spin to see whats it all about.
Because people are put off by azn looking mmos (usually - rightly so).

Which version are you playing, USA or EU?

Lhynn

Arcane
USA, sadly im from south america, so the ping is rather high for me. but NA version is worse in that sense.

Lhynn

Arcane
Been at it since cb1, rich, powerful and goodlooking :mca:
I dont do kidnaps, i can make more money in the time it takes me to do one. Never paid for anything but VIP.

Stokowski

Arcane
And the reason you can't make money doing kidnaps is? ... c'mon, think it through ... I'm sure you can figure it out! :roll:

Lhynn

Arcane
No idea, the math is clear, kidnapping does not pay as well as any other activity i could be spending my time on, so i just dont do it. sitting around doing nothing makes me more money than kidnaps, if you can believe that.

Scrub

Novice
No idea, the math is clear, kidnapping does not pay as well as any other activity i could be spending my time on, so i just dont do it. sitting around doing nothing makes me more money than kidnaps, if you can believe that.

Wow, that sounds like some interesting gameplay

Lhynn

Arcane

Wow, that sounds like some interesting gameplay
it actually is, means you chat with people, duel, improve on your playing style, theres a surprising amount of depth in the fighting mechanics and you can always use some practice. Or use your life skills, make clothes, or prepare drugs.

Fight off kidnappers yourself, find bounties, be aproached by npcs for quests, or rewards from your actions in the past. you know, Shit doesnt wait for you, it just happens, if you are around to influence it or not is what matters.

Stokowski

Arcane
You claim to have played for a long time but fail to realise that the only sizeable source of unbound tael is (or rather was) kidnapping? Y'know, Unbound tael, the currency that actually matters?

Look, I would agree with you that there are many wonderful and refreshing things about the game design and I'm sure in other circumstances we could wax lyrical together about the setting, the music, the relative strengths and weakness of the various martial arts schools and their fighting styles, favourite instances, etc., but you're talking utter bollocks about the current state of the game. It is irredeemably fucked by bots (who now control material harvesting, unbound tael availability, and even stall space), and fanbois who cannot, or will not, remove their rose-tinted specs and acknowledge such are going to be shat on from a great height here on the codex.

Lhynn

Arcane
:what: My god are you full of shit. last patch changed the game, completely.
Money was never in kidnapping, thats just drone/bot/noob work. real money came from stolen credit cards, paypal fraud and players with big wallets willing to spend thousands of dollars a month in the game. and the way to make money has always been targeting people that did any or all of the above and selling them whatever they needed.

Every time you say something it really feels like the game made you his bitch. As for the codex and the rose-tinted specs... :notsureifserious:

Anyway, the game is fun, the issues it has are in every other mmo in the market, the features it presents are pretty unique, and its free, cant get much better than that.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Hmm not sure if the game is good as we have 2 opposite view points of the game that are stark differences. Anyway, does this game offers p2p free client?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom