Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aislinn and the three to five dwarves.

Kawaii Theurgist

Liturgist
936full-pool-of-radiance%3A-ruins-of-myth-drannor-cover.jpg

Chapter the firsty first; Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the beard.

As you may know, I'm going through Pool of Radiance II: Ruins of Myth Drannor with a band of brave fellows. As you may also know I had been given quite erroneous information about the levels our party would reach through the game and thus planned for a heavily multiclassed party. It didn't end well, as even the least bit of standard deviation could turn a totally easy battle into a pretty hard one, and I did not need to be smart and stuffies to know it was going to be an uphill battle from there on when taking in consideration we were having a pretty rough going while still on the starter dungeon. And given I don't get through hard areas by means of intensive reloading...

The fate of Faerun in such timeline will thus forever remain undisclosed and we will, instead, focus on a different one, in which this story ocurred in a way closer to The Hobbit than to The Silmarillion. Or at least closer to how The Hobbit would be if Gandalf was a young and beautiful and kind of weird elven sorceress, the dwarves where all from the legendary Clan KKKodex, and there were no Hobbits in sight.

So, again, we need some brave fellows to accompany our charming and totally 気紛れ heroine in her sacking of ancient cities. A party of stunty adventurers with beards and much barely controlled anger, a min-maxed band of hardy Bros from the quite infamous Clan KKKodex, a bunch of little drunkards more than ready to stop the decline by unleashing axe and hammer upon its toes, a raging warband of miniature vikings, etc. You know how it goes.

There are some thingies and stuffies you need to know before joining our awesome and incredibly cool heroine's merry band of runty tomb robbers and ruin looters. Pay attention now:

Firstly, your six thingies (STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA) begin at 8, and you have 25 points to raise them. From 3 to 14 each they cost 1, from 15 to 16 they cost 2, and from 17 to 18 they cost 3. However, you can also drop any of your six thingies down. So if you have 25 points and drop your INT from 8 to 3 you will have 30.

Secondly, all your characters will be Shield Dwarves. This means all of you have +2 CON and -2 CHA. The bonus and the malus get calculated after buying the points, so if you raise CON from 8 to 18 by spending 16 points on it you will actually have 20 CON for the same price you would have gotten 18 as a human. In the same way, if you buy CHA from 8 to 18 by spending 16 points on it you will have only 16 CHA for that price.

Thirdly, the only classes available in the game are Fighter, Barbarian, Ranger, Sorcerer, Rogue, Cleric, Paladin, and Monk. Dwarves have Fighter as a prefered class, meaning ideally they should be either Fighter 20 and Something Else N, or Something Else 20 and Fighter N. Like, say, Cleric 20 and Fighter N, where N is whatever is left from the main class.

Fourtly, remember the game is kind of weird and it uses a weird mixture of AD&D and 3rd Edition D&D. Feats and skills are picked by the game itself upon leveling up based on class and race, there are only a small bunch of skills and those are only useful for rogues, etc. Also, try to make my job easier by trying to min max your build as much as you can. I don't mind if you guys LARP your numbers a little bit but don't get too carried away with it. Like, INT 18 will not make any difference in how well your speedbumpy warrior kills orcs, so don't.

Finally, tell me where to spend all those points you get every fourth level, what thingies to try and raise by means of magical stuffies and thingies, what kind of permanent boni you lust for and what kind of permanent mali you don't really care for, etc. Also add any LARPing preference, like which kind of weapons do you prefer your angry stoolie to use and stuffies.

And if I made a mistake somewhere in the examples, I'm sorry. Elven witches count with their fingers. :oops:

Since we are at it, and seeing the cover again, were those two the ones the scarred mages were talking about when referring to Him and Her? I can't believe I did not notice before.

Anyways. From all our volunteers, whom hopefully will be enough to make a full party, I will be picking a combination of melee hi-hos and priestly lawn ornaments, three in total. I will not be taking a pure rogue, and maybe I will not be taking a rogue at all. Was the knock spell implemented in this game? Whatever, we'll see about that later. And I may, if I feel like it, take some of the companions we will find during the game, NPCs and stuffies, and use the savegame editor to turn them into more of your dwarves, though begining from level 1, if I can.

Beyond that, and stuffies, I will be making less updates, which will be longer and covering only the important stuffies and thingies and Nya, given I am almost completely recovered and want to enjoy the pretty days before summer comes and heat becomes unbearable and my skin starts to get hurt if I am outside my house.

That's about it,

Aislinn.jpg
C'mon, shorties. Move those kawaii little legs of you.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Old Bee is a fighter, and a dumb one at that; LARP accordingly ;)

STR 18
CON 15
DEX 9
everything else 8
(provided my math isn't off)

oh, and develop my build in whatever way you want, really
:love:

EDIT: Being a fighter, I am of course totally male. Forgot about that little detail.

eklektyk

Erudite
hmm not even final update on how previous party got horibly and reapeatedly raped to death ??? :decline:

i fail at math said:
eklektyk is DUMB as rock Barbarian but likes hammers- mostly swinging them at mushysquishy stuff:

STR 18
CON 16
DEX 9
INT 3
CHA 3
WIS 12

and do with him as You please... :M

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Malac Ross

Fighter/Rogue

Str 16 (dump all stats here)
Dex 16
Const 14 (+2)
Int 3
Wis 12
Cha 8 (-2)

Start as a 1st level rogue, then add 2 levels of a fighter. After that focus on rogue until you hit level 5 in that class. Then add another two fighter levels, and then again 5 levels of Rogue. Rince and repeat.

Edit: I changed stats a little. It seems that Rogues must be intelligent (e.g. for good Disable Device checks):

Str 14 (dump all stat points here)
Dex 16
Const 14 (+2)
Int 13
Wis 8
Cha 4 (-2)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Like I wrote in the other thread:

Ulminati
NE, M, Dwarf, Fighter(4)/Barbarian(Lots)

Str 8 + 16 = 18
Dex 8 + 5 = 13
Con 8 + 10 = 16 (18)
Int 8 - 5 = 3
Wis 8 + 2 = 10
Cha 8 - 3 = 5 (3)

Numbers in parantheses are w. racial modifiers. Pump all additional stuffies points into strength.
Fighter, Barbarian, Fighter x3, Barbarian x lots, fighter x lots(er)

Greataxe + full plate pl0x <3
wariordwarf2last-one.jpg

Come an' 'ave a go iffn ye think yer 'hard enough!

Kawaii Theurgist

Liturgist
A priest? Please? Someone? :cry:

@ Old Bee

No min-maxing? Turn that little guy into a stunty murder machine, I say!

@ Eklektyk

Let me see...

... and then Aislinn and her friends noticed they were out of magical items, all battles felt like uphill ones, and they were winning most in accordance to the rules of last stands and boss fights, by which only one of the characters, maybe two, survived. So she decided to call it a day and go back home.

Happy? :M

@ Mrowak

A rogue? No one reads my posts. :(

Alright. I'll sacrifice an NPC to the wyrd so that Malac Ross can come too. :3

@ Ulminati

Ulminati.jpg
Yeah, laddie. I'm already in.

And that minikitty is the cutest thingie evar!

Edit: What happened with minikitty? Minikitty! :'( Though that dwarf is awesome, frikkin' saved.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Kawaii Theurgist said:
Edit: What happened with minikitty? Minikitty! :'( Though that dwarf is awesome, frikkin' saved.

E3VPp.jpg

I'm hiding down here. Minikitties have a keen sense of smell and dwarves shun soap

eklektyk

Erudite
Kawaii Theurgist said:
A priest? Please? Someone? :cry:

you can totaly rebuild me as an priest if U wish so [make him very wise jet poor str?]
unles someone will submit proper squish for that spot :smug:

and :lovablekitty.jpg: :P

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Kawaii Theurgist said:
@ Old Bee

No min-maxing? Turn that little guy into a stunty murder machine, I say!

Heh, okay, max out STR and CON, lower INT and CHA to the minimum, and dump what's left into DEX, then. Will that do?

Cassidy

Arcane
Cassidy

Whichever alignment allows me to pick up a deity with the War and Strength domains*

Str 14
Dex 8
Con 14 (+2) = 16
Int 10
Wis 16
Cha 9 (-2) = 7

Full Cleric, no multiclassing.

*If Domains exist in this game.

Mrowak

Arcane
@ Mrowak

A rogue? No one reads my posts. :(

You wrote about pure rogues. Besides, AFAIK there's no knock spell in the Pool, though cannot vouch for it.

If you find you don't need a rogue much, level him in fighter class every second level. Remember about flanking - those sneak attacks can be smashing. Also, my gut feeling tells me though that later on you will encounter traps of 'HAHA! You are all dead!' sort.

Edit: I don't know how important is intelligence for rogues in Pool , but in case it's very significant like in ToEE use these stats:

Malac Ross (male)

Fighter/Rogue

Str 14 (dump all stats here)
Dex 16
Const 14 (+2)
Int 13
Wis 8
Cha 4 (-2)

Kawaii Theurgist

Liturgist
@ Villain-kun

You don't know what you don't know. :M

@ Mrowak

You may be right. I did not find mention of Knock in any website. :(

The no rogues rule was only there in case I had to use a party of four characters, in any case, and I just tried the editor to be sure and yes, it's actually quite easy to switch an NPC for a created character, so I'll follow the long KKKodex tradition of hacking the recruitable characters and switch them for player created ones, as I like big parties better than smaller ones but the NPCs are as charismatic as a brick.

@ Cassidy

For priests, charisma affects only the amount of times they can use turn undead or the effects too? In the second case you may want to move some thingies around for it to be at least slightly higher, given there are maaaaany undead in the game. In the first case it's alright, given we can sleep pretty much freely in this game.

@ Old Bee

Now you'll make me feel with a guilty consciousness for my evil powergaming way! :oops:

Other than that we will be starting shortly, then.

Wish me better luck this time. :(

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Garf the Cleric
Str 16
Dex 8
Const 14
Int 8
Wis 16
Cha 8

That should be correct. Some grumpy cigar-smoking guy with a magnificent beard as a portrait. Will focus only on martial skills, healing is a secondary thingie and stuffie for him.

Cassidy

Arcane
I'd rather not have a certified DUMBFUCK!!! as a character through utter powergaming. If you think a totall clumsy 3 Dex Cleric with higher charisma is better, however, go for it.

AFAIK turn undead rolls depend on charisma, so I suppose you could do that.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Dumping dex will lower your AC and turn you into a smelly, bearded piñata

Mrowak

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Aislinn and the three to five dumbfucks :lol:

Appropriate, of course, since they're all male :smug:

What are you saying. My dwarf is quite smart:

Str 14 (dump all stat points here)
Dex 16
Const 14 (+2)
Int 13
Wis 8
Cha 4 (-2)

(ok, it's second edition, but it's better not to have negative penaltiues to Disable Device, I figure)

Cassidy

Arcane
Appropriate, of course, since they're all male :smug:

Male25.jpg

Let's not to. Women and men are different, but the way in which they differ is a lot more complicated then you think. It goes right into the metaphysics of human creativity, for which there is no easy explanation.

Lets start with something easy. Do you agree that the music of Beethoven is greater then that of Lady Gaga? And if so, could you actually prove it? To the latter, i say don't bother, there is no way to prove something like that, but once you understand how such value judgements are made, how it is generally men who have this trait, and how the highest expression of this ability to know (which is not the same as acquiring information) translates into genius (which has nothing to do with intelligence, per-se), then you'll be very close in understanding the true difference between males and females.

This is why women have been able to achieve a modicum of success in the sciences, where intelligence is generally an equal or even greater asset to creativity, scientific discovery being something that generally stands apart from the discoverer (Weininger argued that the scientist could never be a genius unless he was also a philosopher, for this very reason), but have no similar success in the arts, or in philosophy, where knowing is paramount.

The Thin Man

Novice
A wizard please!

Dump str and cha

Pump int

Wis, Con, and Dex 10 or higher depending on skills points left over.

I originally was going to opt for a Cleric, but seems everyone is doing that so I went different this time. That's my luck, only cleric that didn't get picked in the last lp, hopefully not the only wiz not to get picked for this one.

You mention there being enough for a few levels in fighter with a level 20 other, so if you want, dual into fighter 2nd level for added hp and fort, otherwise with the dumped str don't go any further. Plus concentrating on the spells should be much more useful than on amplifying another meat shield.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom