Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alan Wake Remastered

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last edited by a moderator:

A horse of course

Alan Wake Remastered coming next month exclusively to Epic Games Store.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/alan...ed-will-have-choice-next-generation-upgrades/
CcxGaJ6.png

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kind of pointless. But I guess they did the numbers and figured out that the ROI would be acceptable, and there's also the added bonus of creating some buzz ahead of the possible Alan Wake 2 announcement.

A horse of course

This is one of those games whose cult-ish status continues to baffle me.
It's just so bland on nearly every level.

Good writing, lots of trans-media intertextuality for pseuds (Twin Peaks, Dean Koontz etc.), interesting original concept when it was an open-world horror. Has some memorable sequences like the concert fight.

orcinator

Liturgist

Good writing, lots of trans-media intertextuality for pseuds (Twin Peaks, Dean Koontz etc.), interesting original concept when it was an open-world horror. Has some memorable sequences like the concert fight.
It certainly did not have good writing. It tries to imitate a boring tv show and succeeded but didn't do anything good. Trans-media intertextuality boiled down to name dropping Steven King every other line and some random Twin Peaks references. The concept is interesting until you actually play the thing. Concert fight was kinda memorable I guess, but only because the songs played at the end of Dark Carnival wern't that good.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Alan Wake is comfy and inoffensive for a game that came out at a time when there were so many soulless 3rd person console shooters. It's disappointing that we never got the game that they wanted to make initially, but them's the breaks sometime. I don't see the point in a HD remaster of this game tho but the EGS exclusivity does make me worry for Control 2. Most likely this is also going be another EGS exclusive.

Edit: I also thought the Alan Wake IP was owned by Microsoft?

A horse of course

It certainly did not have good writing. It tries to imitate a boring tv show and succeeded but didn't do anything good. Trans-media intertextuality boiled down to name dropping Steven King every other line and some random Twin Peaks references. The concept is interesting until you actually play the thing. Concert fight was kinda memorable I guess, but only because the songs played at the end of Dark Carnival wern't that good.

You're wrong, the writing was good. WHAT NOW? HUH?!?!?!?

Dexter

Arcane
Kind of pointless. But I guess they did the numbers and figured out that the ROI would be acceptable, and there's also the added bonus of creating some buzz ahead of the possible Alan Wake 2 announcement.
My first reaction was also a loud "Why?". It came out on PC in 2012 and still looks perfectly fine. But if you consider it from a Sales and business perspective instead of an "artistic" one or whatever, I imagine a "Remaster" of even a 3-5 year old game is rather low effort and might make a lot of sense, just look at Mass Effect or similar.

There's a lot of talk about "backwards compatibility" with console plebs and how they can still play old games, but when they're looking at the actual data, people that actually buy 5-10 year old games on a "new" console instead of the new shiny is somewhere between 1-2%: https://www.cinemablend.com/games/1667409/apparently-sony-is-right-about-backward-compatibility
With all the caveats out of the way, they revealed that of the 930,000 Xbox One Xbox Live accounts they monitored, only 1.6% of their time was spent on Xbox 360 games. 54% of Xbox One owners spent their time on Xbox One games, while the rest played non-gaming apps and activities. This would presumably make it seem as if what Sony's chief financial executive, Jim Ryan, said was true about backward compatibility not being very popular.
Xbox-Gauge.001new.jpg

https://time.com/4804768/playstation-4-ps4-pro-psvr-sales/
When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,” says Ryan. “That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”

Consolefags seem to be a lot more obsessed with the new shiny that's being advertised to them everywhere and is plastered on top of the Store page than playing any old games even from a few years ago or a generation before. Probably the main reason for all the recent and sometimes even needless Remasters/Remakes, because those likely bypass this phenomenon and sell a lot. Lots of cash for relatively low effort updating a few textures and lighting.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
https://time.com/4804768/playstation-4-ps4-pro-psvr-sales/
“When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,” says Ryan. “That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?
This is why the Sony brand is currently circling down in the toilet bowl. Jim is an old asshole who has no idea what people want. He didn't even clarify if the PS1&2 GTs were drawing in crowds or not, simply made an observation that they look old.

orcinator

Liturgist

You're wrong, the writing was good. WHAT NOW? HUH?!?!?!?
As Steve Kang once said: Drink this suspicious coffee(poison)

fork

Genty reminder that remasters/remakes should to be avoided. Just play the fucking original.

Yes, but Codex loves its Enhanced Editions, Definitive Editions, Remasters and Remakes.
Most Codexians are too retarded to get the originals running.

The Jew rating this post shit.
What a surprise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom