Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Aletheia: Return of Odysseus is an upcoming RPG retelling of Homer's Odyssey from Codexer Tavernking

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Absent Dragon; Aletheia: Return of Odysseus

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1565070/Aletheia_Return_of_Odysseus/

Why is it that after 3000 years, the story of Odysseus continues to enchant audiences across cultures and time? The Odyssey is a timeless masterpiece, that’s why. Despite all the advancements in storytelling in modern television, books and games, most still fall short of the charm found in this ancient tale.

We here at Absent Dragon propose a simple idea. We want to make an RPG about the Odyssey that stays accurate to the original text itself. What does this mean? It means never contradicting the text, letting the player do everything Odysseus did in the text, and never attempting to upstage the text. The game will be meticulously researched to ensure it’s as faithful as possible not only to The Odyssey, but to Greek mythology as a whole.

Aletheia: Return of Odysseus is a new RPG that puts you in control of the legendary hero as he embarks on his journey home to Ithaca. Together with your help, we can bring to life a faithful depiction of Homer’s Greece!

Features:
  • The timeless tale of the Odyssey, staying true to the original text.
  • Engaging Turn-Based Combat inspired by RPG classic Fallout 2.
  • Detailed character creation. Determine your upbringing, racial background, skills and attributes.
  • Reactive questing with multiple solutions, no hand-holding.
  • Explore Homer's Greece through beautifully crafted isometric graphics.
  • Manage your army as you encounter mythological creatures such as sirens, giants and nymphs.
What could truly set the ‘Aletheia' series apart could be a community that shares a passion for authentic mythology games. We hope that Return of Odysseus becomes an opportunity to explore and reflect on the rich world of Greek mythology in a new and engaging way. But why stop at just Greek mythology? We want to dive into the myths of other cultures, such as Egypt and Mesopotamia. By coming together, we can delve deeper into the rich stories and themes of these fascinating worlds, and help create authentic games about them. Join the Discord server if you're interested!​

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I wonder how
  • Detailed character creation. Determine your upbringing, racial background, skills and attributes.
works in context of Odyssey. Odysseus and his crewmembers were all Achaeans from Ithaca and its whereabouts. So what racial background or different upbringings are we talking here? If we participate in Odyssey as the hero himself, or even a member of Odysseus' crew than it should not be a factor.

And let's remember that among the men who set off from Ithaca for the Trojan War, Odysseus was the only one to come back home alive. So if the game is indeed fidel to the text, there should not be a happy end for other crew members (and only a short-lived happy end for Odysseus himself).

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I wonder how
works in context of Odyssey. Odysseus and his crewmembers were all Achaeans from Ithaca and its whereabouts. So what racial background or different upbringings are we talking here? If we participate in Odyssey as the hero himself, or even a member of Odysseus' crew than it should not be a factor.

And let's remember that among the men who set off from Ithaca for the Trojan War, Odysseus was the only one to come back home alive. So if the game is indeed fidel to the text, there should not be a happy end for other crew members (and only a short-lived happy end for Odysseus himself).
Achaeans was the Homeric term used for all Greeks, later being used for the inhabitants of Achaea. Odysseus and his crew were more accurately Cephallenians but I don't think it matters because Homer's works are full of kings ruling over people that aren't of their bloodline. The player can play their own version of Odysseus, they can make a high strength low intelligence Odysseus if they want to!

I don't know. I'm not much of a Simpsons fan.
My girlfriend has already made this joke a thousand times, it's slowly making me die inside

Mortmal

Arcane
So, another Codex darling, a guaranteed chance to be entertained one way or another. A setting where you can choose your racial background, but no gender, I assume, as it's a game for manly men done by a manly man. Maybe the first time you can roleplay a Rhodian mercenary with strong bonds with your companions at arm, who knows? Then, if the setting is not often used, the interface seems oddly copied from Age of Decadence but without any animation on the screen. Looking forward to playing it in 2029-2030, crossing fingers!

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Not that I don't appreciate games based off Greek mythology, you know, considering part of my username, but I feel like the only games we ever get are based off the Odyssey. There's never been any games about Greek-Persian wars or just dealing with the city states. Even the siege of Troy and all that entails doesn't have that many games. I'm sure this will be fine though.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Not that I don't appreciate games based off Greek mythology, you know, considering part of my username, but I feel like the only games we ever get are based off the Odyssey.
meaning, this one game and?
There's never been any games about Greek-Persian wars or just dealing with the city states. Even the siege of Troy and all that entails doesn't have that many games. I'm sure this will be fine though.
So you are talking about games based on Greek mythology or on Greek history?

There are games based on both out there.

Mythology:
Apotheon
Theseus and the Journey to Athens
Titan Quest
Rise of the Argonauts
Numen and the Contest of Heroes
Troy: Total War

History:
Rome 1&2: Total War (lots of Hellenistic factions)
Alexander: Total War
Hegemonia 1-3,
Alexander: Heroes' Hour
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (which actually is about the Peloponesian War)

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
meaning, this one and?
Two Macintosh RPGs, one Amiga RPG, one Amiga action game and a 2001 adventure game, just off the top of my head, all called Odyssey in the title. There's a lot more I'm sure.
So you are talking about games based on Greek mythology or on Greek history?
Ah, I got sidetracked adding in the city state stuff. I was thinking of stuff like 300, which is absolutely mythologicalized in most depictions.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
meaning, this one and?
Two Macintosh RPGs, one Amiga RPG, one Amiga action game and a 2001 adventure game, just off the top of my head, all called Odyssey in the title. There's a lot more I'm sure.
Okay, so quite obscure games even I don't remember and I enjoy everything devoted to ancient Greece. While I from the top of my head mentioned 6 relatively modern games based on mythology, neither of which was inspired by Odyssey.

I'll another one, a bit older: Invictus: In the Shadow of Olympus.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
meaning, this one and?
Okay, so quite obscure games even I don't remember and I enjoy everything devoted to ancient Greece. While I from the top of my head mentioned 6 relatively modern games based on mythology, neither of which was inspired by Odyssey.

I'll another one, a bit older: Invictus: In the Shadow of Olympus.
Some of the games you mentioned are hardly a bastion of popularity themselves. And frankly, you're not making your case when you don't remember what was a fairly major release at the time.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Some of the games you mentioned are hardly a bastion of popularity themselves. And frankly, you're not making your case when you don't remember what was a fairly major release at the time.
Titan Quest or Troy: Total War vs. Odyssey: Search for Ulisses (from 2000, btw) - which is more obscure, hmmmm...

Anyway, I've made my point: most mythology-themed games from the last 25 years are not inspired by Odyssey.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tavernking one annoying thing I noticed in the trailer is that text in dialog windows types out slowly instead of appearing instantly. I hope this can be turned off because I utterly ABHOR this "feature", it's the most disgusting JRPG influence to ever infest western RPGs.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Well that is weird description, it's as mondblut said if they follow the Book I question what game remains and if It can be fun. Character customisation makes no sense in this case.

But I'll put it on my wishlist and check it out when it's done. The general idea is interesting.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Tavernking one annoying thing I noticed in the trailer is that text in dialog windows types out slowly instead of appearing instantly. I hope this can be turned off because I utterly ABHOR this "feature", it's the most disgusting JRPG influence to ever infest western RPGs.
I'll implement that today

Wishlisted.

So to make it clear, is this your game Tavernking ?
Yes it is!

lvl 2 Blue Slime

Educated
Looks cool, but I generally think that games based purely on mythology tend to be generic as they aren't really adding as much creativity as an original setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom